WSU @ #19 Utah (Sat., 7 p.m. PT, FS1)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

WSU @ #19 Utah (Sat., 7 p.m. PT, FS1)

Post by Greenblood »

Another very interesting matchup. I know Utah had Huntley and Moss hurt last week, but Huntley's been quoted as saying he'll play this game and it sounds like Moss could be back as well. As good as Utah's defense is, I think the Utes will need to score a number of TDs to keep up with WSU, who we know can score. I'll be rooting for Utah so the Cougars can be "blemished" in the North as much as possible. (Trivia: WSU's first four conference games are all against Pac-12 South Division teams, and its last five conference games are all against its North foes.)
Merganzer
Senior

Re: WSU @ #19 Utah (Sat., 7 p.m. PT, FS1)

Post by Merganzer »

This is a battle. Both teams coming off L's. Which one is tougher to get over? Both feel they like they should have won; only one of them blew a 32 point lead. Time for the Utes to defend their home field.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I see wazzu winning this.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

It occurs to me that this would be a really huge win for Wazzu, as it would arguably have the effect of reversing last week's upset loss since most assumed the Cougars would win last week and likely lose this week. In other words, if the Cougs are 1-1 in the conference after this week, most would have guessed that that would be their record after their first two conference games anyway. And they still haven't played anyone from the North yet.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Greenblood wrote:It occurs to me that this would be a really huge win for Wazzu, as it would arguably have the effect of reversing last week's upset loss since most assumed the Cougars would win last week and likely lose this week. In other words, if the Cougs are 1-1 in the conference after this week, most would have guessed that that would be their record after their first two conference games anyway. And they still haven't played anyone from the North yet.
Perception is big on this one. You mentioned how a W for WSU here basically puts last weeks loss as just a wacky game, and WSU is still on track. For Utah, this is a BIG game. The Utes were on a few CFP projections, were just in the Top 10. Last week they lost to SC's 3rd string QB. A loss here and the Utes are shaky.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Utes lead, 14-10, 12:25 left in the second quarter.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Utah looks like a completely different team than the one that didn't show up @ USC last week, lead WSU 21-13 at the half.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

In the last two drives, the Utes have converted 3rd & 11's, the first one ended up in a field goal, this one, to be continued.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Utah's OL dominating the action, Utes RB's are getting 4/5 yards without being touched. Huntley is displaying escapeability in pocket; either running or making time to complete a pass downfield. This drive ends in a Utes TD, Time of possession in the quarter with 1:30 left: 12:24 to 1:06
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Utah dominance! WSU in danger of having its season come off the rails. The Cougars have a bye this coming week before facing ASU, who will also be coming off a bye, in Tempe.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Greenblood wrote:WSU in danger of having its season come off the rails.
Maybe we can finally beat the Couglets this year? These other teams run wild on the Cougs, but the Ducks will somehow manage to make it look like they are running into a brick wall over and over.