Clemson is a fraud.

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Clemson is a fraud.

Post by Merganzer »

Clemson lucked out in this one;and I didn't like UNC's decision to go all or nothing with the 2 point try.
Last edited by Merganzer on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Re: Clemson 21 UNC 20

Post by DmoneyDuck »

not impressed with Clemson at all this season ... so far they remind me of 2015 Ohio State -- a defending champ who returned a ton of talent but are sleep walking through their schedule ... unfortunately, the ACC is hot garb this year and this was likely their only test, but I'd take just about any other Top 5/6 team over them right now.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

DmoneyDuck wrote:not impressed with Clemson at all this season ... so far they remind me of 2015 Ohio State -- a defending champ who returned a ton of talent but are sleep walking through their schedule ... unfortunately, the ACC is hot garb this year and this was likely their only test, but I'd take just about any other Top 5/6 team over them right now.

Clemson is struggling. I could see them losing to FSU or in the conference championship game.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Complete agreement, DmoneyDuck. Boise State during its run played tougher schedules than Clemson will face this season, but nobody will contest their place in the polls. Clemson's ranking has all to do with last year, imagine the basketball committee putting the defending champ in the Final Four at the beginning of March Madness.
They squeaked by this one, and will face the same "tests" until the CFP. By all rights, Alabama Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU should be #1, should all be ranked above them, and it is unfair to drop any of them should they lose, while Clemson runs through their patsies.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Clemson is a fraud.

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Also been unimpressed with Trevor Lawrence. I remember people saying they would take him first in last year’s draft if they could. So far looks like he’s overhyped.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Merganzer wrote:Complete agreement, DmoneyDuck. Boise State during its run played tougher schedules than Clemson will face this season, but nobody will contest their place in the polls. Clemson's ranking has all to do with last year, imagine the basketball committee putting the defending champ in the Final Four at the beginning of March Madness.
They squeaked by this one, and will face the same "tests" until the CFP. By all rights, Alabama Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU should be #1, should all be ranked above them, and it is unfair to drop any of them should they lose, while Clemson runs through their patsies.
That’s a great analogy Re: the final four. If the NCAA isn’t going to expand to a real playoff they need to do away with preseason polls. If the first poll wasn’t released until week 4 or 5 it would look completely different than it does now. Clemson will stay 1 or 2 unless they lose because they started number 1 and the polls purpose is to maintain status quo.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

There were multiple times where trevor lawrence looked like he was certain to be sacked but manuvuered his body in a way, while being pulled down, to be able to throw the ball away. Herbert should look at his tape and learn how to throw the ball away before/while being sacked.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

alxtw wrote:There were multiple times where trevor lawrence looked like he was certain to be sacked but manuvuered his body in a way, while being pulled down, to be able to throw the ball away. Herbert should look at his tape and learn how to throw the ball away before/while being sacked.
At least Clemson can be useful for something.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alabama taking over #1 is a start, Clemson should be around #12.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Paul Finebaum's Top 4:
1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. LSU
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Merganzer wrote:Paul Finebaum's Top 4:
1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. LSU
I actually think this is pretty fair based on the eye test. 1-3 are interchangeable. I think LSU/Oklahoma/Clemson are all duking it out for #4.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Paul Finebaum's Top 4:
1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. LSU
I actually think this is pretty fair based on the eye test. 1-3 are interchangeable. I think LSU/Oklahoma/Clemson are all duking it out for #4.
My problem is that nothing I've seen from Clemson this season merits them even being in the discussion. Ohio St hasn't played a tough schedule either, but at least they are destroying their cupcakes. Alabama, Georgia, and LSU, who already played, and beat Texas, in Texas, all have games left in the season, that if they lose, will jeopardize their chances, and it isn't even those 3, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Florida, Auburn, have all looked better than has Clemson, who has played nobody so far, and according to ESPN's chart, have a 92% chance of winning the rest of their in a schedule reminiscent of Oregon's OOC from last season, and coasting in to the CFP.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I'm trying to think of an apt comparison. Closest I'm coming up with is 2014 Florida State, who were coming off a national championship and ran the table before meeting us in the Rose Bowl. They most certainly did not pass the eyeball test and just about everybody knew it, but it's not like you can leave an undefeated P5 team out of the CFP.

But, who knows. Clemson could just be bored. That's one mighty weak schedule.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

If Clemson's recruiting holds up, they may be 'bored' for a while...

When I was a kid, oh SO many years ago, I could never understand what made a kid content to take his talent and pull a Rudy, sitting on the bench at a Notre Dame, Meatchicken, tOSU, USC, Nebraska, and their ilk, when schools like Oregon were starved for any level of decent athlete past the first string.

Apparently, winning IS everything...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

woundedknees wrote:If Clemson's recruiting holds up, they may be 'bored' for a while...

When I was a kid, oh SO many years ago, I could never understand what made a kid content to take his talent and pull a Rudy, sitting on the bench at a Notre Dame, Meatchicken, tOSU, USC, Nebraska, and their ilk, when schools like Oregon were starved for any level of decent athlete past the first string.

Apparently, winning IS everything...
I think it has more to do with the idea that a select group of schools are better at putting players in the NFL, and that they are 'bigger' opportunities (If you could get on the court for Duke, why would you opt for Murray State, and have to answer this question to absolutely everyone?).