Steelers/Browns Brawl

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

RanDux
Senior

Steelers/Browns Brawl

Post by RanDux »

In my opinion it is time the leagues start pursuing criminal charges in cases like this one. These professional sports players should not be above the law. If you or I did something like this in a public place we would land in jail.
gogreen55
Senior

Re: Steelers/Browns Brawl

Post by gogreen55 »

Myles Garrett should be suspended the rest of the season, without pay, at minimum. It doesn't appear that Rudolph got hurt badly, so there probably won't be any traction from a criminal standpoint. Then go from there in terms of determining punishment for other players.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

RanDux wrote:In my opinion it is time the leagues start pursuing criminal charges in cases like this one. These professional sports players should not be above the law. If you or I did something like this in a public place we would land in jail.
No criminal charges will ever get filed unless an individual player wants to be a victim. It is left up to the spineless league to discipline the players.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I've always been worried about an incident like this happening whenever I've seen guys swing helmets in the past. Thankfully, the opposing player is always still wearing their helmet and there's never been a truly dangerous situation.

In this instance, Garrett is really lucky that he didn't connect very well. He could have done incredible damage. I think a precedent needs to be set and show the ramifications of such a dangerous move. 16 game suspension at least IMO. This is worse than any crap Burfict ever pulled.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

RebelDuck wrote:
RanDux wrote:In my opinion it is time the leagues start pursuing criminal charges in cases like this one. These professional sports players should not be above the law. If you or I did something like this in a public place we would land in jail.
No criminal charges will ever get filed unless an individual player wants to be a victim. It is left up to the spineless league to discipline the players.
No, the city of Cleveland could certainly come in and charge Garrett and they don't need the permission of Rudolph or the NFL to do so. Rudolph's agent has certainly used language to this point to indicate that further action (civil?) is possible.

Hackbart vs Bengals is a previous case in which it was determined that just because you're playing an aggressive sport doesn't mean it becomes no holds barred and anything goes with physical contact. I thought the choke-hold that OBJ put on a CB 2? years ago was another kind of move that had nothing to do with football and was just fighting.

I know some like Max Kellerman have really stepped to the plate to throw Rudolph under the bus and defend Garrett but in addition to the late-hit penalty, Garrett refused to get off the QB after taking him to the ground and that's what causes Rudolph to react to Garrett. I'm not buying the "Rudolph started it" train of thought that ignores what led up to that point nor do I think this is a case of "mutual combat" which I'm not sure is even a statute in Ohio.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

Hackbart v Cincinnati only states that it allows for criminal charges to be filed without a by an agency outside of the willing victim but they won’t. The league needs to do something but it is worthless.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The entire incident was an absolutely moronic escalation of the initial contact on the field.

In no way does the quarterback's reaction to the sack justify ripping off his helmet, let alone whacking him on the head with it.

By the same token, nobody forced any of the subsequent actions by other players.

It literally was stupidity in motion.

Garret should get an "I'm STEWPUD" tattoo on his forehead for that idiotic move.

Rudoph deserves one as well, for not backing away when the defensive player yanked off his helmet and an attempt at restraining him was in progress.

This was the epitome of DUMB.

Garret jeopardized his career for an instant of self gratification.

Reynolds could have been seriously injured, which could have done the same to him.

The reputation of the game is damaged enough as it is. This certainly didn't enhance that image.

I think there's a reason I don't watch more NFL games...
Last edited by woundedknees on Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

This is the type of crap that will keep happening as long the NFL doesn't put a stop to it at the basic level. This has been allowed to creep into the Pro game with all the pushing and shoving that used to be called by the refs but they're afraid to call it more and more and the players will keep doing it more and more like children, pushing the envelope. Eventually it ALWAYS escalates into more physical altercations. If the NFL would have put their foot down and called that thug behavior (see Vontaze Bufict) when it first started happening and send a message that it won't be tolerated and give them severe punishment for it, then maybe it wouldn't be as big of a problem as it seems to be now. Pretty much the reason that I rarely watch the NFL anymore. They need to put a stop to all the woofing and boorish behavior that's prevalent in the college game as well. It's called taunting and call that s*** please! Pisses me off when somebody makes a routine play and then celebrates and acts a fool like they've done something nobody in the history of the game has done before...

You may have the soap box back now...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

woundedknees wrote:The entire incident was an absolutely moronic escalation of the initial contact on the field.

In no way does the quarterback's reaction to the sack justify ripping off his helmet, let alone whacking him on the head with it.

By the same token, nobody forced any of the subsequent actions by other players.

It literally was stupidity in motion.

Garret should get an "I'm STEWPUD" tattoo on his forehead for that idiotic move.

Reynolds deserves one as well, for not backing away when the defensive player yanked off his helmet and an attempt at restraining him was in progress.

This was the epitome of DUMB/SELFISH.

Garret jeopardized his career for an instant of self gratification.

Reynolds could have been seriously injured, which could have done the same to him.

The reputation of the game is damaged enough as it is. This certainly didn't enhance that image.

I think there's a reason I don't watch more NFL games...
Helped a bit...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Myles Garrett (CLE) Indefinite suspension, fined.
Larry Ogunjobi (CLE) 1 game suspension, fined.
Maurkice Pouncey (Pit) 3 game suspension, fined.

Both teams fined, $250,000
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Merganzer wrote:Myles Garrett (CLE) Indefinite suspension, fined.

https://fox8.com/2019/11/15/steelers-qb ... t-reports/

"Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph will be fined for his role in the fight during Thursday night's game against the Cleveland Browns."
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

woundedknees wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Myles Garrett (CLE) Indefinite suspension, fined.

https://fox8.com/2019/11/15/steelers-qb ... t-reports/

"Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph will be fined for his role in the fight during Thursday night's game against the Cleveland Browns."
But why the delay in judgment?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The QB could have called him the most racist thing imaginonable and the correct response is still not to use your helmet as a weapon.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:The QB could have called him the most racist thing imaginonable and the correct response is still not to use your helmet as a weapon.
LOL was gonna say... What a silly argument. :roll:

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13