Senior

Re: Colorado @ Utah

Post by Merganzer »

Utes tie it up.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Why do you want Utah to win? I'd much rather face USC next week.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Utah has a chance at the playoff, leaves the Rose Bowl an option for the Ducks even if they lose. If they play the Trojans, a win gets the Rose Bowl, but a loss, maybe the Holiday or Alamo?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Fair enough, personally I care a lot about winning the conference too. I'd rather have a good matchup against USC for both a conference title and Rose Bowl berth. Losing to Utah and losing our way to the RB isn't all that appealing to me.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tray Dub wrote:Fair enough, personally I care a lot about winning the conference too. I'd rather have a good matchup against USC for both a conference title and Rose Bowl berth. Losing to Utah and losing our way to the RB isn't all that appealing to me.
Make it a little more palatable for you; a win over Utah also gets the Ducks in the Rose Bowl, an d knocks the Utes to Holiday/Alamo.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Sure, but do I think we'd beat Utah? No sir I do not.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tray Dub wrote:Sure, but do I think we'd beat Utah? No sir I do not.
Utah has taken the lead, so our philosophizing may be for naught.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Merganzer wrote:Utah has a chance at the playoff, leaves the Rose Bowl an option for the Ducks even if they lose. If they play the Trojans, a win gets the Rose Bowl, but a loss, maybe the Holiday or Alamo?
Have you heard anyone commenting on this? I came to the same conclusion: who is the Rose Bowl going to pick in that scenario above a 10-3 Oregon team that finishes 8-1 in the Pac 12? I think the ducks are in the Rose Bowl either way if Utah wins, unless they pick an at-large team instead, or some kind of chicanery happens with the playoff committee and they don't pick Utah.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Utah has a chance at the playoff, leaves the Rose Bowl an option for the Ducks even if they lose. If they play the Trojans, a win gets the Rose Bowl, but a loss, maybe the Holiday or Alamo?
Have you heard anyone commenting on this? I came to the same conclusion: who is the Rose Bowl going to pick in that scenario above a 10-3 Oregon team that finishes 8-1 in the Pac 12? I think the ducks are in the Rose Bowl either way if Utah wins, unless they pick an at-large team instead, or some kind of chicanery happens with the playoff committee and they don't pick Utah.
I'm hearing on the radio that what we have above is about a sure thing. The chicanery could come in the form of say the Ducks are just blitzed by Utah in the CCG and are behind USC in the final before Bowl game rankings; there is a caveat in the Rose Bowl selection guidelines that would allow them to pick USC.