Chris Petersen Stepping Down

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Re: Chris Petersen Stepping Down

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Hopefully, he doesn't go to USC, he was an excellent coach for the Huskies but the main difference is the Huskies dont have nearly the resources USC does so if he goes to USC they really could be dangerous again.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Shocked..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Blazers-1977 wrote:Hopefully, he doesn't go to USC, he was an excellent coach for the Huskies but the main difference is the Huskies dont have nearly the resources USC does so if he goes to USC they really could be dangerous again.
This doesn't look at all like he's leaving for another job.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Anyone else feel a Belloti > Kelly parallel. Lake was credited with a huge part of the Huskies success and I was fully expecting him to bolt for a HC job somewhere at the end of the season. Petersen may have thought he was close to retiring anyway and didn't want to try to replace Lake so he felt his timing to leave was right.

My bet is Petersen collects his whole remaining salary despite quitting as part of a package by UW to keep Lake from leaving.

100% fact free speculation at its finest.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

My thoughts exactly.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Anyone else feel a Belloti > Kelly parallel. Lake was credited with a huge part of the Huskies success and I was fully expecting him to bolt for a HC job somewhere at the end of the season. Petersen may have thought he was close to retiring anyway and didn't want to try to replace Lake so he felt his timing to leave was right.

My bet is Petersen collects his whole remaining salary despite quitting as part of a package by UW to keep Lake from leaving.

This feels spot on to me. I thought of the Kelly/Belloti comparison immediately. Only question is does it work out as well for them as it did for us. Lake is unquestionably a good coordinator and recruiter. But you never know about the ability to handle the head job until you’re doing it.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

wlduck wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:Anyone else feel a Belloti > Kelly parallel. Lake was credited with a huge part of the Huskies success and I was fully expecting him to bolt for a HC job somewhere at the end of the season. Petersen may have thought he was close to retiring anyway and didn't want to try to replace Lake so he felt his timing to leave was right.

This feels spot on to me. I thought of the Kelly/Belloti comparison immediately. Only question is does it work out as well for them as it did for us. Lake is unquestionably a good coordinator and recruiter. But you never know about the ability to handle the head job until you’re doing it.
I doubt a DC is going to catch the college football world off guard and change the game. I think it is a stop gap / continuation move and they don't want to deal with rebuilding the program. I highly doubt that Lake is going to be a better head coach than Peterson.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

karlhungis wrote: I doubt a DC is going to catch the college football world off guard and change the game. I think it is a stop gap / continuation move and they don't want to deal with rebuilding the program. I highly doubt that Lake is going to be a better head coach than Peterson.
But look how well it turned out when Washington promoted DC Jim Lambright to replace the Dawgfather.
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

Maybe being at Truck Driver U where you dominated in conference (57-6) and only had to really prepare a lot except one out of conference decent team and bowl as opposed to coaching in a real conference (34-20) and losing quite a bit took a toll. Also 2-4 at W against the Ducks.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

It's really telling when a guy is so annoyed with a program's fanbase that he decides to walk away from the game. You're your own reason why you can't have anything nice, uw.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:It's really telling when a guy is so annoyed with a program's fanbase that he decides to walk away from the game. You're your own reason why you can't have anything nice, uw.
So you used back to back you're/your and used the correct spelling of each. Elitist.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:It's really telling when a guy is so annoyed with a program's fanbase that he decides to walk away from the game. You're your own reason why you can't have anything nice, uw.
So you used back to back you're/your and used the correct spelling of each. Elitist.
Showoff...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think Lake will be much more aggressive and successful in recruiting than CP was. But, it would be hard to replicate the coaching success of Petersen. UW was poor this year but CP was far more successful than anyone else in the past 30 years there.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

They named their new coach so fast. Did they even do interviews? Interview a person-of-color? Fishy.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

5$ wrote:They named their new coach so fast. Did they even do interviews? Interview a person-of-color? Fishy.
Why would they need to interview a person-of-color if they're handing the job over to Jimmy Lake, who's black?