Social distancing at games

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Social distancing at games

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Not trying to make this political, but I mean after this past week, do we really foresee the social distancing drum being beaten so loudly and/or a mandate at games?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Social distancing at games

Post by Phenom »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Not trying to make this political, but I mean after this past week, do we really foresee the social distancing drum being beaten so loudly and/or a mandate at games?
Why wouldn’t it be?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Not trying to make this political, but I mean after this past week, do we really foresee the social distancing drum being beaten so loudly and/or a mandate at games?
Who knows anymore. Some city's had 1000s of people packed in like sardines, so we will have to wait and see if there is a bunch of cases linked to the protest. Most people looked to be wearing mask, so maybe we will also find out if homemade mask work or not. Maybe it will end up being as simple as wearing a mask to a game.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

The narrative has certainly morphed hasn’t it? Not a peep from the fakers about “granny killers” was there? Oh well, seeing sheeple in a car by themselves wearing any sort of mask beside an N-95 is pretty entertaining for me personally. I didn’t see anyone wearing a mask in the pictures I saw of the antifa exercise held in Newgene the other night. Well, except for the coward anarchists who always wear masks
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Tough deal, I am all for “peaceful” protest but social distance was certainly thrown out the window. So as far as crowds in stadiums what happens when on little outbreak of COVID happens within a team? Season is over period.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Well you've got at least 3 Okie State players who've tested positive and at least one attended a protest in Tulsa this weekend. It'll be interesting to see if the number of positive tests increases after all the rallies and protests.
https://www.si.com/college/oklahomastat ... tive-tests

https://www.si.com/college/oklahomastat ... oronavirus
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

nogerO - let your thoughts be known, but keep your insults ("sheeple") to yourself
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:nogerO - let your thoughts be known, but keep your insults ("sheeple") to yourself
thank you! the first post politely asked that this not become a political issue and just asked an honest question that bears discussion with out political barbs.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Timing wise, we should first see if there is a bump from the Memorial Day partying and beach going and opening up of restaurants some churches and other businesses. A whole bunch of that was mask-less. Then the protest bumps if they occur would hit about a week or two later. We should learn a lot about transmission in a macro sense in the next few weeks.

There is a theory that singing (church settings) and shouting (protests) are hyper transmitting actions like coughing. We'll see if that theory gains non-clinical affirmation. When the bumps occur or not, an impression may well be formed that will affect whether crowds (shouting) will be allowed at sporting events or whether they will be TV only events.

Transmission among the teams during practice, will be a big factor in whether the games will be played at all.

A breakthrough in treatment protocols, more likely to come before a vaccine, could be a game changer, resulting in a shift to herd immunity strategies.

A major blowup from both Memorial Day and Protests may cause the government to just give up and end mitigation strategies in the US and adopt the 1918 strategy as we have a huge section of the population that wont comply anyway as they know they are low risk for a serious outcome if they get it.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

There are so many interpretations of what is necessary to protect one's self...

The other day, I was in a local market parking lot, when a middle age couple pulled up. The man stayed in the car, with the windows rolled up, wearing a mask and rubber gloves.

The woman, also wearing a mask, went into the store for a gallon of milk.

She was back in about 3 minutes.

As soon as she returned to the vehicle, the guy handed her some disinfectant wipes for her hands, and proceeded to wipe down every surface he could reach in the car, before driving away... He spent more time cleaning, than she did out of the car!

I ran into them again, at the local farm supply store (My only other stop, about 1/4 mile away.).

They went through the same routine, over 6 cans of cat food.

SMH.

Life, as we know it, may never recover.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

woundedknees wrote:There are so many interpretations of what is necessary to protect one's self...

The other day, I was in a local market parking lot, when a middle age couple pulled up. The man stayed in the car, with the windows rolled up, wearing a mask and rubber gloves.

As soon as she returned to the vehicle, the guy handed her some disinfectant wipes for her hands, and proceeded to wipe down every surface he could reach in the car, before driving away... He spent more time cleaning, than she did out of the car!

I ran into them again, at the local farm supply store (My only other stop, about 1/4 mile away.).

SMH.

Perception of personal risk has a huge factor in it. I have 2 risk factors as does my wife. We are careful but not to that level. Well maybe we are, I have N95 masks and never go into a food store.

Our best friends are extremely high risk. She is finishing chemo and starting radiation, he has had a heart attack and is 70. He is horrible at social distancing and masks though he doesn't intend to be. He goes on walks without a mask (no problem) but once he starts talking to someone he creeps forward, closer and closer. His wife wants to lock him in the basement as he just seems untrainable.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I just can't believe how quickly the social consensus has shifted. A couple weeks ago you were an asshole if you had a barbecue; now, at least in my circles, you're pressured to gather in throngs of thousands. But it's still the same disease. I was starting to do lower-risk things like get a haircut, but I'm going back to serious caution until we see what the last couple weeks bring.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yes, social distancing is still necessary.

Nobody should be taking cues on good public policy from the visceral collective reaction to the apparent murder of a black man (again) at the hands of police. (And that's according to two autopsy reports.)

COVID-19 hasn't gone anywhere. Caseloads are low right now because of masks and social distancing. All of us should be thankful if we're able to maintain good practices long enough for players to hold games without fans in attendance. This SHOULD be the only season where fans must stay away.

I, for one, am looking forward to watching my first Duck game on TV with my son... he'll be joining us about 10 days before our first game. :D
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:Yes, social distancing is still necessary.

Nobody should be taking cues on good public policy from the visceral collective reaction to the apparent murder of a black man (again) at the hands of police. (And that's according to two autopsy reports.)

COVID-19 hasn't gone anywhere. Caseloads are low right now because of masks and social distancing. All of us should be thankful if we're able to maintain good practices long enough for players to hold games without fans in attendance. This SHOULD be the only season where fans must stay away.

I, for one, am looking forward to watching my first Duck game on TV with my son... he'll be joining us about 10 days before our first game. :D
While I agree with your post and congratulations on your son, seeing your comment on "collective reaction" here reminds me of a tangent point.

From a competitive standpoint I would like to note that the French our kicking our asses in rioting. Their artistic execution of the impromptu flaming street barricade shows why we are still just group fodder in the Rioting World Cup.
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

woundedknees wrote:There are so many interpretations of what is necessary to protect one's self...

SMH.

People handle things differently. If someone has a compromised immune system or health related problems, this disease can reek havoc, no matter what the age is. Maybe that is the case for some that seem to go past what most are doing. Grouping together for any cause or reason at this point really could play out in the next month or so one way or another. Who knows.

Here in Arizona we had a big spike in cases reported yesterday after opening 10-14 days ago. Ramifications? We’ll see.

Chances are there will be a second wave this fall. At what point does a government decide based on a spike in cases or death rate to take action? That really is the open question right now with no unified set plan to be implemented.

It may come down to individual decisions on what to do and signed liability waivers in regards to any event attendance.