Can’t fix stupid!

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Can’t fix stupid!

Post by Alan »

Florida St game yesterday, crowds were ridiculous! Look at the pic in the link, how many will this crowd infect? Sturgis was a complete cluster, South Dakota is now a mess....can’t fix stupid!
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Can’t fix stupid!

Post by karlhungis »

What link?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I’ve heard conflicting things about Sturgis

I heard 20% of cases were linked to sturgis (no idea how they sourced that)

But I also heard only 1 person of 400k died?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

My apologies, was in a hurry this morning here is the link, also Jacksonville is the only nfl team allowing crowds, must be a idiot in Florida making the call!

https://www.ibtimes.com/florida-state-u ... ks-3044774
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Let people take their own risks. Maybe require they do a little limited quarantine to avoid possible spread outside of the stadium but at a certain point you gotta let people make their own decisions in a free country.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Alan wrote:My apologies, was in a hurry this morning here is the link, also Jacksonville is the only nfl team allowing crowds, must be a idiot in Florida making the call!

https://www.ibtimes.com/florida-state-u ... ks-3044774
Kansas City allowed fans for opening night. Cleveland, Miami, Dallas, and Indianapolis will have fans for their home openers. Cincinnati and Denver won't allow fans for their opener but will allow fans for the following two home games.
jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

Might shed a little light on what you read about Sturgis. This also applies to attending a football game.

https://www.aier.org/article/the-sturgi ... ase-models
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

This is all re-hashing the same old conversations we've had, but engaging in high-risk activities like going to a football game with 10k+ people when a deadly disease is spreading is no less a 'personal choice' than drinking and driving is a 'personal choice.' If contracted, it affects everyone who goes to your grocery store, takes your credit card, lives with you, cares for you in a hospital setting, etc. etc. You might be 20-something or 30-something, but the person teaching your kid at school might be 60-something and substantially higher risk.

Last reminder- we can make this all end, or at the very least substantially curb it, if we at least try to be responsible.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

StevensTechU wrote:This is all re-hashing the same old conversations we've had, but engaging in high-risk activities like going to a football game with 10k+ people when a deadly disease is spreading is no less a 'personal choice' than drinking and driving is a 'personal choice.' If contracted, it affects everyone who goes to your grocery store, takes your credit card, lives with you, cares for you in a hospital setting, etc. etc. You might be 20-something or 30-something, but the person teaching your kid at school might be 60-something and substantially higher risk.

Last reminder- we can make this all end, or at the very least substantially curb it, if we at least try to be responsible.
I think the problem with this argument is that it has suffered some diminishing marginal return after 7 months. Eventually, people want to get back to living normally and become more accustomed to the risk, which is smaller than many alarmists had projected. I don't know how well the media is covering this, but there have been very large demonstrations all over the world from people who are tired of masks, tired of rules against gathering, etc. So the 'you're going to kill Grandma' guilt trip is starting to lose its effectiveness.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:This is all re-hashing the same old conversations we've had, but engaging in high-risk activities like going to a football game with 10k+ people when a deadly disease is spreading is no less a 'personal choice' than drinking and driving is a 'personal choice.' If contracted, it affects everyone who goes to your grocery store, takes your credit card, lives with you, cares for you in a hospital setting, etc. etc. You might be 20-something or 30-something, but the person teaching your kid at school might be 60-something and substantially higher risk.

I think the problem with this argument is that it has suffered some diminishing marginal return after 7 months. Eventually, people want to get back to living normally and become more accustomed to the risk, which is smaller than many alarmists had projected. I don't know how well the media is covering this, but there have been very large demonstrations all over the world from people who are tired of masks, tired of rules against gathering, etc. So the 'you're going to kill Grandma' guilt trip is starting to lose its effectiveness.
The fact that is a thing because people are bored and don't want to wear a mask absolutely boggles my mind.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ I think less boredom and more that weekly deaths have dropped 90% in the past month with 4 straight weeks of drops in the 40-50% range.

That's in addition to death rates in April & May already being 200-400% higher than the summer death rates. Boredom isn't the word I would use, but lack of substantial fear is the likely cause for relaxed mindset in the majority of folks.

I'm personally not scared, but still adhere to all mask rules. They're mildly annoying, but not worth fist fighting a wal-mart greeeter like some extreme folks are doing.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ I think less boredom and more that weekly deaths have dropped 90% in the past month with 4 straight weeks of drops in the 40-50% range.

That's in addition to death rates in April & May already being 200-400% higher than the summer death rates. Boredom isn't the word I would use, but lack of substantial fear is the likely cause for relaxed mindset in the majority of folks.

I'm personally not scared, but still adhere to all mask rules. They're mildly annoying, but not worth fist fighting a wal-mart greeeter like some extreme folks are doing.
That’s the same for me, I’d rather not get It or my friends/family so I wear a mask which is mildly annoying, we went through a half dozen different styles of surgical masks before I found one I didn’t mind as much(my girlfriend is exceedingly patient lol) and I’m not gonna go to a sporting event or a bar. I have flown cause studies show they are actually pretty safe, but I will say I only fly delta now because a few other airlines have been filling to the brim and not really caring about doing what they can. It’s really about wearing a mask and cutting out the really risky stuff and this would be so much more under control through the whole country. I mean look at Arizona, they spiked, said oh s*** let’s just be a little responsible and now there numbers have nose dived. We’ve been pretty good in Oregon which has been amazing and I’ve really appreciated and it’s hard to separate that from the country as a whole.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote: The fact that is a thing because people are bored and don't want to wear a mask absolutely boggles my mind.
It boggles your mind that people don't want to wear a mask all the time? Really?

Hopefully it isn't a surprise to you that people have been gathering now for a few months, going to work, doing barbecues, weddings, church, etc. without masks and without a noticeable increase in the COVID numbers. For the last several months, the states with the largest problems with COVID also happen to be border states with higher influxes of people from other countries, many of whom are seeking treatment in U.S. hospitals because of crowded treatment facilities at home.

Lots of people wear masks at grocery stores to be polite, not because they think they are doing any good. Then they take the masks off as soon as they get outside, and when they are within their normal communities, and deal with the rare COVID case that comes up like any sane person would, by staying away from that person until they get better.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
pudgejeff wrote: The fact that is a thing because people are bored and don't want to wear a mask absolutely boggles my mind.
It boggles your mind that people don't want to wear a mask all the time? Really?

Hopefully it isn't a surprise to you that people have been gathering now for a few months, going to work, doing barbecues, weddings, church, etc. without masks and without a noticeable increase in the COVID numbers. For the last several months, the states with the largest problems with COVID also happen to be border states with higher influxes of people from other countries, many of whom are seeking treatment in U.S. hospitals because of crowded treatment facilities at home.

Lots of people wear masks at grocery stores to be polite, not because they think they are doing any good. Then they take the masks off as soon as they get outside, and when they are within their normal communities, and deal with the rare COVID case that comes up like any sane person would, by staying away from that person until they get better.
Lol ii thought I had blocked you. Glad to see you pop in, out of context and put words in my mouth. Sounds about right.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

Lol ii thought I had blocked you. Glad to see you pop in, out of context and put words in my mouth. Sounds about right.
Hmm, well, if you don't want to have a conversation, maybe don't respond to my posts as you have done twice on this page alone? Just a thought. P.S. In this case, I am the author of the context you are referring to. Are you saying I am taking myself out of context?