Terry Wilson

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Terry Wilson

Post by StevensTechU »

Years back, when I participated on the 247 forums, I had a long, drawn-out argument with a guy (goes by 'QB11' now on ScoopDuck) about the prospects of Terry Wilson and Justin Herbert. In short, he thought Wilson would be the next star at Oregon, and I said that Wilson was a long-shot to develop into an Oregon-quality passer, and that despite playing lowly-ol'-Oregon high school ball, Herbert would win that competition when they got on campus.

Obviously, Terry Wilson transferred out and Herbert is an NFL starter, but I wonder how people feel about Wilson given that he has found some success at Kentucky. So far this year, he's completing 61% of his passes, has 2 TDs to 1 Int (that's total through 3 games), and adds about 74 yards/game rushing.

Perhaps the best way to phrase this is, if it was an option, would you want Terry Wilson to transfer back this season?

My take is no. I think Wilson has had success at UK because they ask so little of their quarterback that they won multiple games with wide receiver Lynn Bowden taking snaps. It's the perfect system for his skillset, and if they could have Shough, Brown, or maybe even Cale Millen, they would love to have them.

But what do others think?
Last edited by StevensTechU on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Terry Wilson

Post by karlhungis »

I was surprised to see Wilson develop into a successful QB at Kentucky. I can't think of any other QB's that have left our program that have found success at another program.

Would I want him back? Maybe? I feel like he would be at least as good of an option as the transfer that we got but I think he would muddy the waters more with more of an "entitlement" to start. At this point, I'm more comfortable just rolling with what we have.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Kentucky has a football team. Who knew.

Whether I would take Wilson on this years team? If it turns out none of the existing QBs can pass or the O-Line cant pass block (It only takes 1 or 2 bad o-linemen to spoil pass protection) Wilson is a proven running QB.

Also, congrats on winning the argument.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I'd probably rather have Robby Ashford for this year than Wilson.

He found the perfect fit in Kentucky. A run first team that is actually half way decent overall but that had no QB depth.

I'd take Wilson over Burmeister....but that is not saying much. Wilson would be 3rd string at best this year and far behind Shough and Brown.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Years back, when I participated on the 247 forums, I had a long, drawn-out argument with a guy (goes by 'QB11' now on ScoopDuck) about the prospects of Terry Wilson and Justin Herbert. In short, he thought Wilson would be the next star at Oregon, and I said that Wilson was a long-shot to develop into an Oregon-quality passer, and that despite playing lowly-ol'-Oregon high school ball, Herbert would win that competition when they got on campus.

Obviously, Terry Wilson transferred out and Herbert is an NFL starter, but I wonder how people feel about Wilson given that he has found some success at Kentucky. So far this year, he's completing 61% of his passes, has 2 TDs to 1 Int (that's total through 3 games), and adds about 74 yards/game rushing.

Perhaps the best way to phrase this is, if it was an option, would you want Terry Wilson to transfer back this season?

My take is no. I think Wilson has had success at UK because they ask so little of their quarterback that they won multiple games with wide receiver Lynn Bowden taking snaps. It's the perfect system for his skillset, and if they could have Shough, Brown, or maybe even Cale Millen, they would love to have them.

My view on him? If UK had a real QB, they would be a legit threat in the SEC. But they have Wilson, who throws for 100 yards a game, and is the definition of game manager.

I do wonder if his teammates give him crap now, for telling them he should have started over Herbert. And that he got an unfair shake at uo.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Years back, when I participated on the 247 forums, I had a long, drawn-out argument with a guy (goes by 'QB11' now on ScoopDuck) about the prospects of Terry Wilson and Justin Herbert. In short, he thought Wilson would be the next star at Oregon, and I said that Wilson was a long-shot to develop into an Oregon-quality passer, and that despite playing lowly-ol'-Oregon high school ball, Herbert would win that competition when they got on campus.

My view on him? If UK had a real QB, they would be a legit threat in the SEC. But they have Wilson, who throws for 100 yards a game, and is the definition of game manager.

I do wonder if his teammates give him crap now, for telling them he should have started over Herbert. And that he got an unfair shake at uo.
Herbert was the local kid so he got preferential treatment. :lol

Was he the kid that had his mom go on a Twitter rant about her son being treated unfairly?
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

That's funny- Wilson and his family's complaints didn't age well, did they? Having watched a few games of his at Kentucky, he seems pretty fortunate to be a starting quarterback in a major conference at all. Good for him for finding a place to start...it was never going to be at Oregon.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah, Wilson's mom said the coaches at Oregon were racist.....Which is funny, cause Taggart was the coach at the time
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I chose to watch a good chunk of Kentucky-Mizzou today. I've never felt more confident that I had the correct assessment on Terry Wilson's college prospects.