OU’s Rattler on ice for Freshman QB

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

OU’s Rattler on ice for Freshman QB

Post by UofDuck »

Coach LR has some juevos. Bye bye Heisman for Spencer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: OU’s Rattler on ice for Freshman QB

Post by OregonFan4Life »

And they came back and won too. It worked for them! It does make me wonder why Thomson and Butterfield aren’t ready to start, what are the coaches not doing to prepare them?
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:And they came back and won too. It worked for them! It does make me wonder why Thomson and Butterfield aren’t ready to start, what are the coaches not doing to prepare them?
May also be about the players’ ability to pick up enough of the playbook or show they can implement it or read a defense.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

ncduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:And they came back and won too. It worked for them! It does make me wonder why Thomson and Butterfield aren’t ready to start, what are the coaches not doing to prepare them?
May also be about the players’ ability to pick up enough of the playbook or show they can implement it or read a defense.
Could be, but lack of QB preparation/development seems to be a recurring issue under Mario.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
ncduck wrote:
Could be, but lack of QB preparation/development seems to be a recurring issue under Mario.
That would be on Moorhead.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Could also be that Williams is better than Butterfield and Thompson. Just a thought.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

The problem is, we don't know how good the back-ups are because we haven't seen enough of them. Last year, we watched Anthony Lynn tell everyone that 'Herbert is the backup for a reason', and he ended up choking on those words. Coaches can be wrong in their assessment of quarterback effectiveness, and if they are, loyalty to an older player is often the reason. I realize fans always want to play the backup QB after a loss, but sometimes, they are right.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

The way young QB’s have been handled since Mario has been weird, Herbert being inconsistent and underperforming a lot which he’s clearly way better than, Shough basically being told to leave, continuing to say Thompson and Butterfield is nowhere near ready, plus having a lame offense that never allows young backup QB’s to get valuable in game reps. It just feels like the entire staff is clueless when it comes to young QB’s. Mario does seem to favor upperclassmen way too much, I said it before but I bet if he was the coach in 2010 Nate Costa starts over Darron Thomas and Oregon loses a game or to that season also.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Just a crazy thought, what if Rattler is our starting QB next year? What if Caleb Williams starts the rest of the year, Rattler enters the transfer portal, Thompson and Butterfield don’t progress which seems likely at this point, and Rattler does a grad transfer to Oregon and starts for a year or two? I don’t like Rattler so I don’t want that to happen but just thought of this scenario and thought I’d throw it out there.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Just a crazy thought, what if Rattler is our starting QB next year? What if Caleb Williams starts the rest of the year, Rattler enters the transfer portal, Thompson and Butterfield don’t progress which seems likely at this point, and Rattler does a grad transfer to Oregon and starts for a year or two? I don’t like Rattler so I don’t want that to happen but just thought of this scenario and thought I’d throw it out there.
I'm gonna say hes at Arizona or Arizona State next year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UofDuck wrote:Coach LR has some juevos. Bye bye Heisman for Spencer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guy has been hot and cold most of the year. The heisman wasn’t an option after two games.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

ncduck wrote:May also be about the players’ ability to pick up enough of the playbook or show they can implement it or read a defense.

BS! I'm not buying that crap about them not being able to read a playbook or a defense. They wouldn't have recruited them if there was the slightest doubt about those abilities.

At this point throw that 5* into the deep end and let him show why he's ranked so high. We all know Mario has NEVER developed his depth chart at QB by letting the backups play meaningful minutes in blowouts doing something other than hand the ball off three times and then go back to the bench and watch our punter.

Shough on the bench in blowouts and having Herbert still out there deep into blowout games and risking injury is a glaring example of this maddeningly recurring brain farts as a head coach. Hell Tyler might still be here as QB had he been able to get those extra game time minutes running the entire offense. Deep throws take practice and game reps to master and sitting on the bench ain't gonna do that...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

nogerO wrote:
ncduck wrote:May also be about the players’ ability to pick up enough of the playbook or show they can implement it or read a defense.

BS! I'm not buying that crap about them not being able to read a playbook or a defense. They wouldn't have recruited them if there was the slightest doubt about those abilities.

At this point throw that 5* into the deep end and let him show why he's ranked so high. We all know Mario has NEVER developed his depth chart at QB by letting the backups play meaningful minutes in blowouts doing something other than hand the ball off three times and then go back to the bench and watch our punter.

Shough on the bench in blowouts and having Herbert still out there deep into blowout games and risking injury is a glaring example of this maddeningly recurring brain farts as a head coach. Hell Tyler might still be here as QB had he been able to get those extra game time minutes running the entire offense. Deep throws take practice and game reps to master and sitting on the bench ain't gonna do that...

Not only that, it would have given our coaches a chance to see what Tyler looked like in a real game situation. Instead of thinking what they saw in practice was good enough. The kid didn’t have IT during game situation. And no amount of game time would change that, but it would have at least allowed them to better explore their options. And they should have been better prepared for when JH left. Instead we have what we have the last 2 years. Tyler was never going to be the guy, but he looked great in practice.

JT Daniels wanted to transfer to UO, and we told him no thanks. We also told Jayden Daniels we were full at QB when he wanted to come to UO. Our QB room would be much different if they had made better decisions on QB evaluation and who to take.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

The fact of the matter is we don't have our pick of the top 5 QBs every year. (Most of them would rather go play or sit behind QB1s at Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc) With rosters stacked of top qbs, there's a higher probability one of their first/second year QB pans out. Its more accurate to compare our teams QB recruiting and development abilities to teams in similar ranks and situations.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think our QB recruiting is actually flawed. Aside from Thompson, they recruited Butterfield (can't run), Ashford (couldn't pass in high school; major project), and Tanner Bailey might have the lowest ceiling of any QB recruit we've signed in recent memory. Thompson has a chance to be good, but theyre resting a lot on his shoulders.