Re: Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Post by Boom »

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_ ... g-ago.html

Neil Olshey might finally be out of Portland :mrgreen:
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I haven't watched any blazers game this season. Is their back court defense still horrible and non-existent?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Seems Olshey was a real ass after Dan Dickau said he tried looking for other jobs within the organization.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Just wanted to say I stand with Jokic (and his brothers, lol). That was such a BS move by Morris last night that I can't blame someone for responding like that. One action was independent of the other but you wouldn't know it by the responses.

Ive always hated the fake tough guy stuff in the NBA and stuff like that is how you injure someone so Morris reaped what he sowed.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Duck07 wrote:Just wanted to say I stand with Jokic (and his brothers, lol). That was such a BS move by Morris last night that I can't blame someone for responding like that. One action was independent of the other but you wouldn't know it by the responses.

Ive always hated the fake tough guy stuff in the NBA and stuff like that is how you injure someone so Morris reaped what he sowed.
The Morris brothers have always been A-holes, both of them. Not unexpected. Joker still should have shown better restraint, but I understand his reaction.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Olshey is gone.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Nothing could be more Portland than putting up with years of awful team management and then finally firing Olshey over accusations of being mean at the office.

Olshey leaves the team a dis-masted wreck, playing under .500, about $5.3 million over the luxury tax threshold, and almost $100 million per year for the next three years committed to three past-their-prime guards, as well as several draft picks (a first round, and four second-round) owed to other teams. It will likely take the better part of a decade to recover and become a legitimate contender again. I sincerely hope that whoever they hire next will either find a way to trade Lillard's albatross salary away, or at a minimum stop letting this idiotic 'win-now' approach govern his thinking.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

They need to get rid of McCollum more than Lillard. He's getting paid like a #2 player but just doesn't fit alongside Lillard and Powell.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

greenyellow wrote:Olshey is gone.
Yahoo!!!!! His act was tired a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Interesting Ducks/Blazers nugget from Jason Quick today:
But if you’ve been listening to Billups closely this season, you can hear that he doesn’t believe this roster has the type of players that fit his vision. Sprinkled throughout the season, he has dropped hints that this roster lacks size, length, athleticism, basketball IQ, and the big one — heart. He wants some guys who are not playing the game because it pays them a lot of money; he wants guys who are playing because they love to win.

And did anyone else notice on Wednesday how Billups — unprompted, both in pregame and postgame — effusively raved about Memphis guard Dillon Brooks? He brought up his “toughness and edge” … he highlighted his defense … and he credited him with being “the heart and soul” of the Grizzlies.

So if you ask what kind of player fits into Billups’ vision of the Blazers? It’s guys like Dillon Brooks.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

This team just doesn't seem like its built to compete. I think it may be time to consider a full rebuild. The lack of effective big men I think dooms this team to obscurity. I would really love to see the Blazers trade for someone like Sabonis off the pacers (reportedly available) for like McCollum and shift Powell to the 2.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

Zyme wrote:This team just doesn't seem like its built to compete. I think it may be time to consider a full rebuild. The lack of effective big men I think dooms this team to obscurity. I would really love to see the Blazers trade for someone like Sabonis off the pacers (reportedly available) for like McCollum and shift Powell to the 2.
THIS^

The team is poorly balanced, they have a WCF level backcourt/ guard bench with a Lottery front court/ big man bench.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The rebuild/tank era has now begun. It's amazing how bad they actually are at making deals and rebuilding though so I'm not hopeful this will get the desired results any time soon.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It's a money move, getting out of the luxury tax and freeing up future money to sign Simons. Covington was leaving after this year anyway, but trading Powell instead of McCollum and Lillard is amusing to me. Powell is 28 and on a contract averaging $18 million over five years, which is a lot, but pales in comparison to the contracts of Dame and CJ, who are 31 and 30 respectively. If you are really tanking/rebuilding, why not trade the older players who are eating up way more of the salary cap? Maybe they still will trade the two albatrosses (if anyone even wants them), but I have the feeling this is not a rebuild, but just a continuation of the same tired strategy of building around the two aging, injury-prone guards. Wake me up when one or both of them get traded. Until then, it's just a dead team walking.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Its very difficult to trade CJ. He only fits teams that need instant spark of offense and have enough defense to compensate for his defensive shortcomings, which every team can clearly now. Not many teams fit that profile and are willing to pay all-star caliber salary for what CJ offers.