Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

Not that the Blazers are worth watching or discussing much as currently constructed...
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Post by Phalanx »

Blazers lose by three at home to Sacramento. Lillard, the $45 million man, goes 0 for 9 from three, scoring 20 points on 24 shots. Hope y'all enjoy Dame time this year.

When does the college season start?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Phalanx wrote:Blazers lose by three at home to Sacramento. Lillard, the $45 million man, goes 0 for 9 from three, scoring 20 points on 24 shots. Hope y'all enjoy Dame time this year.

When does the college season start?
:lol: Guess guys are not allowed to have off nights these days. I'm not even a Blazers fan, but I think it's funny how disgruntled the fanbase is with the roster. There are many teams out there that would love to make the playoffs year in and year out. You have to hope they luck into a generational player if they trade everyone away. More than likely, it would result in 5-10 years of not being competitive, rather than getting lucky and finding that guy.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

droop10 wrote: :lol: Guess guys are not allowed to have off nights these days. I'm not even a Blazers fan, but I think it's funny how disgruntled the fanbase is with the roster. There are many teams out there that would love to make the playoffs year in and year out. You have to hope they luck into a generational player if they trade everyone away. More than likely, it would result in 5-10 years of not being competitive, rather than getting lucky and finding that guy.
Well, I am happy to be amusing to someone. Lillard must also be amusing to you, since he has been whining about the team all summer and flirting with the idea of leaving if they didn't get better players.

I guess the idea that any teams in the NBA are jealous of the Blazers and pining to be perennial first-round losers in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every year is a little amusing to me in my turn. The rest of the league thinks the Blazers suck so bad, they were lining up with trade offers for Lillard this summer. Why would they be doing that after the Blazers made the playoffs, do you suppose? Maybe because making the playoffs in the NBA isn't a big deal, and losing in the first-round every year is widely recognized in the NBA as a sub-par performance worthy of breaking up a team.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Phalanx wrote:
droop10 wrote: :lol: Guess guys are not allowed to have off nights these days. I'm not even a Blazers fan, but I think it's funny how disgruntled the fanbase is with the roster. There are many teams out there that would love to make the playoffs year in and year out. You have to hope they luck into a generational player if they trade everyone away. More than likely, it would result in 5-10 years of not being competitive, rather than getting lucky and finding that guy.
Well, I am happy to be amusing to someone. Lillard must also be amusing to you, since he has been whining about the team all summer and flirting with the idea of leaving if they didn't get better players.

I guess the idea that any teams in the NBA are jealous of the Blazers and pining to be perennial first-round losers in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every year is a little amusing to me in my turn. The rest of the league thinks the Blazers suck so bad, they were lining up with trade offers for Lillard this summer. Why would they be doing that after the Blazers made the playoffs, do you suppose? Maybe because making the playoffs in the NBA isn't a big deal, and losing in the first-round every year is widely recognized in the NBA as a sub-par performance worthy of breaking up a team.
They made the conference finals just a couple of years ago. I suppose teams were asking about him, because he’s pretty good and there were rumors he might want out? He might want out at some point, because the writing is on the wall that no free agent wants to go to Portland, so he’s unlikely to ever get a supporting cast good enough to win a championship. However, I can assure you, trading him and others away will only lead to years of futility, where you’ll be wishing they could have a subpar performance good enough to make the playoffs, unless they happen to luck into a generational player like Giannis. Small market teams stand very little chance in today’s NBA. While there are anomalies like the Raptors (random one year of Kawhi) and Bucks (lots of injury luck and lucking into Giannis), it will take years to likely field another semi-competitive team. Like it or not, this is their best shot, outside of hoping they could get a semi-decent return for McCollum if he has a bit of a rebound year.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

droop10 wrote:
They made the conference finals just a couple of years ago. I suppose teams were asking about him, because he’s pretty good and there were rumors he might want out? He might want out at some point, because the writing is on the wall that no free agent wants to go to Portland, so he’s unlikely to ever get a supporting cast good enough to win a championship. However, I can assure you, trading him and others away will only lead to years of futility, where you’ll be wishing they could have a subpar performance good enough to make the playoffs, unless they happen to luck into a generational player like Giannis. Small market teams stand very little chance in today’s NBA. While there are anomalies like the Raptors (random one year of Kawhi) and Bucks (lots of injury luck and lucking into Giannis), it will take years to likely field another semi-competitive team. Like it or not, this is their best shot, outside of hoping they could get a semi-decent return for McCollum if he has a bit of a rebound year.
I definitely won't be wishing the Blazers were still getting bounced from the first round year after year. I would find a young team full of new potential way more compelling, even if they weren't winning yet. Lillard will never win a championship, or even come close in Portland. The Blazers will simply decline further and further while he rakes in the $200 million over the next four years. That's why teams were lining up to offer trades, because they smelled blood in the water after the Blazers lost yet again. The team is going in the wrong direction - they probably won't even make the playoffs this year.

The way to win in a small market is to be efficient in terms of the salary cap so that you get as much bang for your buck as possible. Avoid giving one or two players all the money, have plenty of performing rookie deals and draft well. The Blazers are doing none of these things. We are all just sitting here for the next four years waiting for Lillard to get all of his money before the team can start improving again. Free agents don't come here because there isn't any money beyond the veteran's minimum to sign them with; Lillard and McCollum took it all.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It only took 2 years for the Seahawks and blazers to become bad teams, after PA (rip) passed. Time for Judy to sell those two teams to someone who knows how to run them. And who has the guts to fire bad GMs, both are ran by guys who waste draft capital like it’s going out of style, for bad players.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

buckmarkduck wrote:It only took 2 years for the Seahawks and blazers to become bad teams, after PA (rip) passed. Time for Judy to sell those two teams to someone who knows how to run them. And who has the guts to fire bad GMs, both are ran by guys who waste draft capital like it’s going out of style, for bad players.
Y'all need to realign your expectations. I absolutely despise the Seahawks, but they won 11 and 12 games the last 2 years. That's hardly bad. They are off to a rough start this year, but that tends to happens when your franchise QB goes down to injury. The Blazers will also make the playoffs again barring injuries to their stars. This roster is arguably more talented than the team last year that was a 6 seed. They aren't going to win a title, but there are realistically 3-4 teams in the NBA that actually have a shot at it, again barring injuries to stars like last year's playoffs. NBA picks in the late teens to early 20s aren't that valuable anyway. More often than not, those players don't amount to anything, so I wouldn't sweat that draft capital.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

buckmarkduck wrote:It only took 2 years for the Seahawks and blazers to become bad teams, after PA (rip) passed. Time for Judy to sell those two teams to someone who knows how to run them. And who has the guts to fire bad GMs, both are ran by guys who waste draft capital like it’s going out of style, for bad players.
Bingo! That's the root of our problems. A complacent GM that needs to be fired.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

droop10 wrote:
Y'all need to realign your expectations. I absolutely despise the Seahawks, but they won 11 and 12 games the last 2 years. That's hardly bad. They are off to a rough start this year, but that tends to happens when your franchise QB goes down to injury. The Blazers will also make the playoffs again barring injuries to their stars. This roster is arguably more talented than the team last year that was a 6 seed. They aren't going to win a title, but there are realistically 3-4 teams in the NBA that actually have a shot at it, again barring injuries to stars like last year's playoffs. NBA picks in the late teens to early 20s aren't that valuable anyway. More often than not, those players don't amount to anything, so I wouldn't sweat that draft capital.

The Seahawks aren’t bad because they lost Wilson. Years of trading away top picks fir guys who leave, is why they are bad. Plus the 2 first for an overrated Adams. You can’t win without young talent,.

S ruder is only slightly better than Olshey.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:The Seahawks aren’t bad because they lost Wilson. Years of trading away top picks fir guys who leave, is why they are bad. Plus the 2 first for an overrated Adams. You can’t win without young talent,.

Comparing the Seahawks and Blazers misses a few points. The Blazers don't have a Pete Carroll in the building and because of that, I think its hard to give all the doubt to John Schneider. Personally, I'd rather see Schneider stay for the next HC and while some of Seattle's moves didn't pay of - at least they tried and as a fan, I can live with that. They won a title making aggressive moves and almost had a 2nd. Portland hasn't even gotten close to what Seattle did comparatively speaking.

Conversely, Neil absolutely has to go as he's only tried to tinker around the edges for ages and refused to trade the one player in CJ at a time when he could have gotten a package back that would be necessary balance to the roster. The refusal to ever think a mid-1st round pick could blossom into a starter or bench player (or a refusal to play them such as Stotts) is bad in its own right because your contracts either become bloated or their minimum level contracts that don't offer much to begin with.

Is Vulcan the problem? Sure, but Olshey is the guy for Portland that needs to be gone just as much as Pete Carroll is the guy who needs to be gone in Seattle. Vulcan however loves both Pete and Neil and are happy to keep making $ even if the two teams are going on a steady downward trend.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Duck07 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:The Seahawks aren’t bad because they lost Wilson. Years of trading away top picks fir guys who leave, is why they are bad. Plus the 2 first for an overrated Adams. You can’t win without young talent,.

Comparing the Seahawks and Blazers misses a few points. The Blazers don't have a Pete Carroll in the building and because of that, I think its hard to give all the doubt to John Schneider. Personally, I'd rather see Schneider stay for the next HC and while some of Seattle's moves didn't pay of - at least they tried and as a fan, I can live with that. They won a title making aggressive moves and almost had a 2nd. Portland hasn't even gotten close to what Seattle did comparatively speaking.

Conversely, Neil absolutely has to go as he's only tried to tinker around the edges for ages and refused to trade the one player in CJ at a time when he could have gotten a package back that would be necessary balance to the roster. The refusal to ever think a mid-1st round pick could blossom into a starter or bench player (or a refusal to play them such as Stotts) is bad in its own right because your contracts either become bloated or their minimum level contracts that don't offer much to begin with.

Is Vulcan the problem? Sure, but Olshey is the guy for Portland that needs to be gone just as much as Pete Carroll is the guy who needs to be gone in Seattle. Vulcan however loves both Pete and Neil and are happy to keep making $ even if the two teams are going on a steady downward trend.
X1000.

These are corporations, at least for the Blazers, and only care about the bottom line, now that PA is gone. Frustrating to see that the Blazer pre-game is now done in Seattle, with Brad Adam, and some dude that nobody knows/no Blazer ties. This is quickly becoming a Seattle franchise, with games being played in Portland. With the consistently shitty moves by Olshey, that hardly move the needle, and the fact Dame will mostly walk when he gets the opportunity, let this mediocre franchise move to Seattle, and start fresh. With the built-in fan base, the NBA would have no problem awarding Portland a new franchise. I’m all for getting rid of this ownership and management. Maybe what Vulcan has been planning all along.
Everythingsducky
Senior

I’m watching the game tonight against the Suns, and Calabro is honoring Poulsbo Washington, as a Blazer fan city. This is freaking nonsense. I get trying to reel in viewership, but this is ridiculous. f*** Seattle. f*** this ownership team. If the Blazers continue to suck, they can stick this team up their arses. And take them north.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Pending health... I think they should have a pretty good season. Zeller and Nance are a huge improvement over Melo and Kanter. Nassir Little finally getting some minutes is nice as well.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Lillard. Can’t even make lay-ups. Not sure if he is intentionally shooting himself out of Portland. What other excuse is there, 1/8th into the season? I cringe when he comes into the game. I’d trade him home to Oakland for an injured Klay. Dude has sucked big time. Not buying a bad stretch. As good as he is, this is ridiculous. He is getting schooled by no-names on a daily basis. Me thinks he wants out, based on his on court (lack of) production.