GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Post by Boom »

CJ to the Pels for Josh Hart and picks
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm just wondering if maybe they traded Powell first in order to get under the luxury tax, in case that affects future trades. It's hard to nail down details based on reporting, since everyone has different numbers, but supposedly that last trade got them under the tax. Anyway, sounds like the Blazers are talking to teams about CJ, so that is encouraging. It feels like they will get less now if they trade Dame than they would have last summer, but I'm sure they are trying to hold on to him anyway.

The Pelicans are reportedly really interested in C.J., so we'll see what happens. Now that the Blazers are down in the cellar with teams like New Orleans, all sorts of possibilities become possible that were too scary before.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Boom wrote:CJ to the Pels for Josh Hart and picks
Hah, they reported the proposed deal in the middle of my post. :lol:

Apparently still working out the details at this moment. The trade as reported knocks over $5 million off the team salary immediately, and provides the option for way more cap space starting next year as Satoransky is on an expiring contract ($10 million) and Hart is non-guaranteed after this year ($12 million). Not much talent coming back, but lots of options created for further dealings. Hopefully the picks are good. I also notice the Pels pulled the center (Hayes) from the deal. Maybe the Blazers feel they can re-sign Nurkic.

Edit: Looks like they just included Nance in the deal as well. Wow. All those first-round picks up in smoke in a very short amount of time with zero to show for it. All so Lillard could 'win now'.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

They need to shut down Lillard for the rest of the year and trade the rest of the starters and collect draft picks and use that and the lottery to surround Dame and Anfernee with a team to compete for a title. Of course after 3-4 years everyone will want out of portland due to its lack of “culture” lol.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's not as good of a deal as initially reported but it's definitely about time Portland moved on from CJ. They've now got to really hope that NOP doesn't make the playoffs but doesn't get a top 4 pick as that's the only way it's conveyed to Portland.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

nogerO wrote:They need to shut down Lillard for the rest of the year and trade the rest of the starters and collect draft picks and use that and the lottery to surround Dame and Anfernee with a team to compete for a title. Of course after 3-4 years everyone will want out of portland due to its lack of “culture” lol.
I'm all for tanking the season for a better lottery draft position. Especially with our current team status and lineups. Even the mighty and cleaver warriors did it. Unfortunately, I read somewhere that Dame is leaving if we decide to tank the season. (Don't remember if that was a direct quote from him in the article)
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

alxtw wrote:
nogerO wrote:They need to shut down Lillard for the rest of the year and trade the rest of the starters and collect draft picks and use that and the lottery to surround Dame and Anfernee with a team to compete for a title. Of course after 3-4 years everyone will want out of portland due to its lack of “culture” lol.
I'm all for tanking the season for a better lottery draft position. Especially with our current team status and lineups. Even the mighty and cleaver warriors did it. Unfortunately, I read somewhere that Dame is leaving if we decide to tank the season. (Don't remember if that was a direct quote from him in the article)
I believe he stated he likely wouldn't play again this season if they tank, since there would be no reason to rush back from injury. From what I've read, he is OK with tanking this season, because frankly they weren't going to make the playoffs anyway, but I think he would ask to leave if the tank extended to next season. However, I suspect they freed up all this cap space to try to make some moves. They probably won't get a big name free agent since nobody wants to go to Portland, but maybe they get a couple solid guys and a couple of high draft picks that work out.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

droop10 wrote:
alxtw wrote:
I believe he stated he likely wouldn't play again this season if they tank, since there would be no reason to rush back from injury. From what I've read, he is OK with tanking this season, because frankly they weren't going to make the playoffs anyway, but I think he would ask to leave if the tank extended to next season. However, I suspect they freed up all this cap space to try to make some moves. They probably won't get a big name free agent since nobody wants to go to Portland, but maybe they get a couple solid guys and a couple of high draft picks that work out.
Getting a couple solid guys and a couple draft picks won’t keep Lillard in Portland. If the Blazers don’t secure at least one big name, he is gone. Wouldn’t blame him one bit.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Everythingsducky wrote: Getting a couple solid guys and a couple draft picks won’t keep Lillard in Portland. If the Blazers don’t secure at least one big name, he is gone. Wouldn’t blame him one bit.
Lillard is staying because Portland just made moves to be able to sign his massive extension. The team is likely better off trading Dame and Nurk and beginning a full rebuild.

Too bad they couldn't get Haliburton for Norm and RoCo
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blazers continuing to make deals as they've already traded two of the players associated with the CJ deal.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Looks like Memphis's 2nd round pick this year, so almost worthless, as Memphis has the 3rd best record in the NBA this year.
Basically, just trading Nickeil Alexander-Walker for Elijah Hughes. I have no idea if that is a good trade or not, or if the Blazers even care. Hughes has no contract beyond this season. It really just looks like the Blazers are shedding payroll, trading CJ away for cap space. Hopefully, the Pelicans don't go on a big winning streak with CJ, and the first-round pick stays in the mid-lottery.

There is potential for these to be good deals if they can use the cap space well, but that hasn't happened for a number of years now, so it's hard not to be skeptical. Still kind of exciting though. Like an un-opened birthday present. It could be something really awesome, or it could be socks and underwear like every year. I would put using the space to overpay Simons in the latter category.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Really hoping they don't go after Jerami Grant though.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Pretty interesting article on the current situation - runs the gamut of possibilities, and includes an honest assessment of Lillard and his motivations.

https://www.truehoop.com/p/are-the-blaz ... ing-around

One of the options we haven't talked about, but comes to mind as we watch so much salary being cleared (and no new GM), is that the Blazers are being put up for sale. I've been hating on the Blazers for awhile now, but I would really hate it if they moved.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Abbott is an absolute joke as he tried to say he had inside information on the Lillard situation this summer and it turned out to be completely wrong.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:Abbott is an absolute joke as he tried to say he had inside information on the Lillard situation this summer and it turned out to be completely wrong.
I don't know his history...and it is pretty irrelevant, unless you think he is claiming inside info in THIS article. He cites a number of sources with quotes and links, and the only unnamed source I could find was this:
In the seasons when he’ll be 35 and 36, Lillard could make more than $50 million per year. “The smart money,” says one source, “is that Dame wants to make the most he can.”
Is this controversial? We already know Damian is trying to make as much as he can without reference to the quality of the rest of the team. It's been his M.O. since he got to Portland. The comparison to Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks was apt, as was the quote: "All your help is in your pocket". Direct application to this situation, and the reason this team has been torn down.

Shannon Sharpe made the same criticism of Lillard back when he signed his last extension, saying that Lillard will never win when he is getting all the team's money, and this was his response:

https://twitter.com/dame_lillard/status ... 0215287809

No inside sources necessary.