Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Post by nogerO »

Blazers have excelled at one thing, best tank job in recent memory. End season on eleven game losing streak!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

I'm with you I was mad when they had a four game winning streak before and after the all break, then "all of a sudden Nurk went down" and I don't think they could've tanked any better!! They were even worse then I thought or went farther along then I thought. Just looked at their schedule and saw they were 2-21 after the break, didn't realize it was that bad.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Before the tank strategy was employed, the Blazers were on a very predictable course of barely making the playoffs and then getting blown out in the first round, and then trading away the high teens-low 20's first-round pick for some middle-of-the-road rental player that would allow them to keep barely making the playoffs. Lather, rinse, repeat. The team was getting progressively older, worse, and hamstrung by awful contracts. The cycle had to be interrupted.

Actually, I'm pretty impressed so far with Cronin's moves. He hasn't rebuilt the team yet by any stretch, but he has at least created the potential for a quick rebuild that seemed impossible when Olshey got fired. having finished 6th-worst, there is potential for a franchise-altering draft pick, and possibly another pick around 11th if the Pelicans can lose one of the next two games. Two solid players on rookie contracts would really energize the team and create a post-Lillard future for the Blazers. He also created cap space enough to re-sign Nurk and a suddenly-relevant Simons, and might even have some money left over for another starter. If he doesn't do stupid stuff like maxing out Lillard again or trading one of his picks for a Jerami Grant one-year rental, the Blazers could be back from the dead as early as this fall, and contending for the first time since before LaMarcus Aldridge left in a season or two.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:Before the tank strategy was employed, the Blazers were on a very predictable course of barely making the playoffs and then getting blown out in the first round, and then trading away the high teens-low 20's first-round pick for some middle-of-the-road rental player that would allow them to keep barely making the playoffs. Lather, rinse, repeat. The team was getting progressively older, worse, and hamstrung by awful contracts. The cycle had to be interrupted.

Actually, I'm pretty impressed so far with Cronin's moves. He hasn't rebuilt the team yet by any stretch, but he has at least created the potential for a quick rebuild that seemed impossible when Olshey got fired. having finished 6th-worst, there is potential for a franchise-altering draft pick, and possibly another pick around 11th if the Pelicans can lose one of the next two games. Two solid players on rookie contracts would really energize the team and create a post-Lillard future for the Blazers. He also created cap space enough to re-sign Nurk and a suddenly-relevant Simons, and might even have some money left over for another starter. If he doesn't do stupid stuff like maxing out Lillard again or trading one of his picks for a Jerami Grant one-year rental, the Blazers could be back from the dead as early as this fall, and contending for the first time since before LaMarcus Aldridge left in a season or two.
Oh you aren't already emotionally prepared for this? :lol:
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I am totally prepared for the Blazers to be stupid about Lillard, as they have been his entire career.

Cj Seems like he has made it his mission to not let Portland get that draft pick. The dude is on fire, going 10 of 12 for 27 points in the first half. It's like being away from the Blazers and Lillard's shadow made him a new player. Hopefully he gets it out of his system in this game and plays more like the CJ from last year's playoffs vs. the Clippers.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:I am totally prepared for the Blazers to be stupid about Lillard, as they have been his entire career.

Cj Seems like he has made it his mission to not let Portland get that draft pick. The dude is on fire, going 10 of 12 for 27 points in the first half. It's like being away from the Blazers and Lillard's shadow made him a new player. Hopefully he gets it out of his system in this game and plays more like the CJ from last year's playoffs vs. the Clippers.
Take a look at the amount of times he's gotten to the FT line since arriving there, makes you wonder how it could possibly so starkly different.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

pudgejeff wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I am totally prepared for the Blazers to be stupid about Lillard, as they have been his entire career.

Take a look at the amount of times he's gotten to the FT line since arriving there, makes you wonder how it could possibly so starkly different.
Because it's all a scripted show. Portland ain't $hit in the grand scheme of things and only Lillard gets consistent calls. Portland gets hosed almost every game that way. Not going to change anytime soon. Another reason why I've pretty much stop paying attention to them.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The Blazers' off-season plan took a big hit with New Orleans beating the Clippers. The Pelicans' 2022 lottery pick now turns into a 2025 first-rounder from Milwaukee. Now everything hinges on getting a top-4 pick.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Blazers and Oregon sports in general always seem o have the worst of luck when something good might happen. Pg13 gets covid the day before the pelicans playin game and our chance to get a second lottery pick…
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

PG scores 34 in the game vs. the Timberwolves and then suddenly comes down with Covid. Unbelievable outcome after everything seemed to be lining up for a nice #11 pick. The Blazers are a cursed team. Hopefully Milwaukee sucks in a few years and the Blazers still get a good pick. Of course, they could be the Seattle Blazers by then.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Blazers drop a spot in the lottery to win the #7 pick, which seems like poetic justice after openly tanking and passing the Kings, who were still trying once in awhile down the stretch. Kings go from seventh to pick #4, so good on them for playing it straight.

So we'll see what newly-minted GM Joe Cronin can do with the #7 pick and a bunch of cap space.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

All that tanking for nothing. If they can't get what they want this off-season and next season starts trending poorly, I could easily see them trading Lillard within the next year.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Man, it isn't easy being a blazer fan. I wouldn't be surprised if Dame demands a trade now. We even fail at failing.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

karlhungis wrote:Man, it isn't easy being a blazer fan. I wouldn't be surprised if Dame demands a trade now. We even fail at failing.
I can't tell if you are saying this unironically or not. They only fell one spot, and it was a spot they probably shouldn't have had in the first place, if they were fielding an honest team. The tanking started with less than 30 games to go - before that Portland was looking like at least a play-in team. So to get to #7 is pretty successful tanking. As for Dame demanding a trade, one can only hope. I kind of wonder if Cronin hopes that too - it would look better from a PR perspective than just coming out and trading him.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Phalanx wrote:
karlhungis wrote:Man, it isn't easy being a blazer fan. I wouldn't be surprised if Dame demands a trade now. We even fail at failing.
I can't tell if you are saying this unironically or not. They only fell one spot, and it was a spot they probably shouldn't have had in the first place, if they were fielding an honest team. The tanking started with less than 30 games to go - before that Portland was looking like at least a play-in team. So to get to #7 is pretty successful tanking. As for Dame demanding a trade, one can only hope. I kind of wonder if Cronin hopes that too - it would look better from a PR perspective than just coming out and trading him.
You want Dame to leave?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!