Pretty brutal column on Chip

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Pretty brutal column on Chip

Post by lmduck »

dthomas=ddixon

Re: Pretty brutal column on Chip

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

It’s wild that Jim Mora had significantly better results than Chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

His system worked perfectly at Oregon, but he became progressively more arrogant and greedy for power. One good season in the NFL and that was it for Chip. Did anybody really believe he would make UCLA great?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I’ve argued that Bellotti would have had the same 4 year run as Chip. MB had that roster staff, and they had the o dialed in. I like Chip, but he also was set up for success when he took over.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think a lot of people thought Chip would succeed at UCLA. It's a place that doesn't require as much effort in the recruiting department, and Chip's success at the college level was fairly undeniable. He chose UCLA over an offer from Florida, so at least two marquee programs wanted him. I don't know all the details, but I know there was at least some flirtation with coming back to Oregon.

All that is to say that UCLA made a hire that was almost universally applauded.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:I think a lot of people thought Chip would succeed at UCLA. It's a place that doesn't require as much effort in the recruiting department, and Chip's success at the college level was fairly undeniable. He chose UCLA over an offer from Florida, so at least two marquee programs wanted him. I don't know all the details, but I know there was at least some flirtation with coming back to Oregon.

All that is to say that UCLA made a hire that was almost universally applauded.
As mentioned this is a pretty brutal assessment. You are correct in that there were a lot of influential people including Troy Aikman, who pushed for CK's hiring pretty hard and yes, Florida was after him as well.

The writer was pretty hard on him about Azzinaro but let's be honest up until the UO game that defense was pretty formidable. Chip has been very loyal to Azz and sometimes that can come back to bite you so will be interesting to see if CHip's hand is forced on that one and others on his staff. Don Pellum is also coaching there.

I know it's been bandied around on this board a lot and some have claimed to have seen the paperwork (contract) that indicated that Chip was coming back to Oregon. I can honestly tell you from some very good sources that it was never mentioned anymore than in passing and not mentioned by anyone who had influence or say in the matter. Chip's daliance with Willy Lyles left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths (suffice it to say there were aspects of that whole episode that were not made public and likely never will be) and while it might have been what some in the fan base wanted (to have Chip come back) many in high level positions and key donors were just not on board with it.

Chip's intense dislike of recruiting and his sometimes surly attitude did not sit well with many. I know he certianly did great things at UO but let's be honest, his NFL work is not stellar and he has not been overwhelming like many thought he would be at UCLA.

You never say never, but I would not be surprised to see Chip go to the NFL as an OC. I could see someone like Belichick hiring him if Josh McDaniel moved on. He would certainly never have to recruit or deal with donors and I can tell you he intensly disliked both at Oregon.

All grist for the mill for sure.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

My comment about Oregon having some interest stems from comment Mark Helfrich made about how he reached out to Chip when it became clear he wasn't the guy. He wanted someone to come in who could keep the staff intact, and so he spoke with Chip. No idea what existed beyond that.

Very curious what Chip's next move is. Hard to imagine him being happy as a coordinator.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:My comment about Oregon having some interest stems from comment Mark Helfrich made about how he reached out to Chip when it became clear he wasn't the guy. He wanted someone to come in who could keep the staff intact, and so he spoke with Chip. No idea what existed beyond that.

Very curious what Chip's next move is. Hard to imagine him being happy as a coordinator.
I remember MH saying that too STU. Just not sure it carried much weight.

I don't know what Chip would be happy doing but at this point you have to wonder if college football is really the right fit for him too since he just doesnt like to recruit or hob nob with donors and lets be honest, you gotta love that or at least pretend you do in the college ranks.

He will loose a lot of guys to graduation this year so next year will be a real challenge for him and by all accounts he is not burning it up on the recruiting trail. He may get one more year and then the calls for him to be cut loose may get very loud from the prominent donors.

Side note- in my past job the office of Finance and Administration at UCLA was my customer and I got to be pretty good buddies with the guy who was the money man for the AD. He was chartered with overseeing all the salaries and expenditures etc. He was a real good guy and we used to have lunch anytime I called on him and he frequently told me Chip does not have a lot of people in the dept who love him. Without being too obvious a couple of times I tried to get him to clarify and he played it pretty close to the vest but did tell me last year that Chip was on the proverbial 'hot seat' with some prominent donors. Again it was hard to press for details. He would ask me stuff about Chip's time at UO and I shared basically what was public but not much else.

I certainly loved what Chip did at UO save the whole Willy Lyles debacle but his light is pretty dim now. He has a good amount of money and he married a couple of years ago. He still maintains a pretty big home in New Hampshire and has supposedly told people he would not mind going back to the east coast but I certainly don't know this for fact. It was told to me by someone who knew him in Eugene.

Like I said, a good topic of debate for sure.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Insiders have said Chip told them yes to coming back, then backed out. As we are aware, Chip does flip flop on taking a job. He was going to the NFL, then not and then gone. I remember the guy who sings the Oregon whatever song, even a made a video with Chip when he thought he was staying.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

We've always known Chip to be both obstinate and loyal and it's not a shock in any way that he hasn't helped himself by at least "playing the game" when it comes to donors and recruiting. He never had to go all-in on that effort at UCLA, but his only chance at staying in Westwood another year is to get rid of Azz and hope that they read the room and understand it may not be a good year to go after a HC when seemingly 1/4 of the country is. In the new transfer portal era he and others like Jonathan Smith can really boost their teams by winning that group of players.

I think he probably goes down a level to remain being a HC rather than trying on as an OC again.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

Duck07 wrote:We've always known Chip to be both obstinate and loyal and it's not a shock in any way that he hasn't helped himself by at least "playing the game" when it comes to donors and recruiting. He never had to go all-in on that effort at UCLA, but his only chance at staying in Westwood another year is to get rid of Azz and hope that they read the room and understand it may not be a good year to go after a HC when seemingly 1/4 of the country is. In the new transfer portal era he and others like Jonathan Smith can really boost their teams by winning that group of players.

I think he probably goes down a level to remain being a HC rather than trying on as an OC again.
I think somewhere he can just run the offense and leave the recruiting and glad-handing to somebody else is the perfect situation for him. I look at the willie lyles situation as Chip just trying to outsource the recruiting aspect of his job, and taking shortcuts on a part of the job he frankly hated. Would also love to see him back in the NFL as an OC somewhere that has a Josh Allen/Lamar Jackson type QB.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Welp... his QB is out. There aren't many teams that can put together good records when the starter goes down. I thought he had finally turned it around this year. I mean... we were underdogs when we played them (lol).

CK is only scary when he starts to win games. Winning is a giant recruiting tool for both high school and the transfer portal, especially for someone who hates recruiting. He might be stuck in a vicious cycle that he can't gimmick himself out of.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

ducks5ever wrote:Welp... his QB is out. There aren't many teams that can put together good records when the starter goes down. I thought he had finally turned it around this year. I mean... we were underdogs when we played them (lol).

CK is only scary when he starts to win games. Winning is a giant recruiting tool for both high school and the transfer portal, especially for someone who hates recruiting. He might be stuck in a vicious cycle that he can't gimmick himself out of.
While he may not be a great recruiter, he seems to be killing it in the portal.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

karlhungis wrote:
Hythloday (twitter handle and pen name used on Addicted To Quack) made a really interesting comment in previewing the season that Chip is probably the worst roster manager in the conference. Even though he's had success in the portal, his tendency is to take the best talent he can find regardless of position, so what he ends up with is a team with 27 linebackers and 3 defensive backs (exaggeration). Him and Donte Williams are definitely a similar breed.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

karlhungis wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:Welp... his QB is out. There aren't many teams that can put together good records when the starter goes down. I thought he had finally turned it around this year. I mean... we were underdogs when we played them (lol).

I thought he did a good job in there too this year. However, I don't think this will last long if the on field product doesn't improve significantly.

Wouldn't be surprised if he just guarantees players playing time lol. If that's all he has to tell a good player for them to join his team, why not.