Shaw and Stanford

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

Shaw and Stanford

Post by Everythingsducky »

Is it even possible Shaw may be on the hot seat? I realize Furd is a different animal, but they are bad.
rockthief
Senior

Re: Shaw and Stanford

Post by rockthief »

His teams are just good enough but no better. The lastcouple seasons might do him in but hmmm he seems to be ensconsed and wins just enough.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

He's a Stanford alum. He'll get some extra leeway.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Given the level of support at that program, why would you ever let go of Shaw? They compete with upper tier teams despite clearly not having the foundation of an upper tier program
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Without Shaw, they likely go back to Buddy Teevens/Walt Harris levels again.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:Given the level of support at that program, why would you ever let go of Shaw? They compete with upper tier teams despite clearly not having the foundation of an upper tier program
Agree, I doubt Shaw has a warm seat. He pretty much puts out a very competitive team every year while having the recruiting “restrictions “ that come with Stanford’s academic requirements.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Alan wrote:
Agree, I doubt Shaw has a warm seat. He pretty much puts out a very competitive team every year while having the recruiting “restrictions “ that come with Stanford’s academic requirements.
Stanford's only moderately comparable programs are Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Duke. Only reason to let go of Shaw is if their AD looks at those other programs and thinks "Why can't we do what they're doing?"

Before anyone suggests it- No, Cal and USC and others are not comparable. Not because they're no good schools (much more 'academically prowess' than udub), but they extensively use waivers to get kids into school who wouldn't get in if they weren't on a sports team. As explained to me by a friend who worked in the Cal AD, though the football team's academic track record isn't as good as the general student body, Stanford's admin refuse to allow waivers for unqualified students to get in like the other schools do.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Stanford significantly altered their admission requirements for student athletes and made them more in alignment with all PAC 12 schools per a friend who works in the admissions office at Stanford.

Secondly , there have been some rumblings in the Bay Area about Shaw. I don’t see them making a change this year but next year could be one to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:Stanford significantly altered their admission requirements for student athletes and made them more in alignment with all PAC 12 schools per a friend who works in the admissions office at Stanford.

Secondly , there have been some rumblings in the Bay Area about Shaw. I don’t see them making a change this year but next year could be one to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone grumbling about Shaw who is a booster at Stanford should ask themselves why they feel he is the problem. Otherwise I don't think the paltry fans they do have actually matter to the decision makers. Shaw would get plenty of offers to Coach if they fired him and it would be a bad decision.