12 team playoff

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

12 team playoff

Post by Alan »

How would a 12 team playoff work? I assume each of the power 5 champions have a spot, one non major get one of the possible at large bids leaving two or three power 5 for the at large bids.

Is it possible for example, I 3 or 4 loss Utah to beat an undefeated Oregon in the PAC 12 championship game, does. A 3 or 4 loss team get in?

Other possible unusual scenarios?

I am just not ready for the “Mario is leaving” talk quite yet, lol.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by StevensTechU »

That's much of what the debate is now. The 'Alliance' schools are pushing for conference champs from the Power 5 to get auto-bids. Conversely, another idea is that the 6 highest rated conference champs get auto-bids (so Cincy could 'steal' a bid away from the ACC this year, for instance, and then the ACC's champ would need to get an at-large bid).

So it's not fleshed out yet. I still prefer 8 teams, but doesn't look like that's happening. Folks anchored on 12, and the representatives from the G5 conferences have aligned with the Southeastern Conference on 12 being better for them than 8.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by alxtw »

i really don't like the 12 team format. In a sport where having to play one extra game usually results in alot of wear and tear and injuries, it just give an huge advantage to the top teams. An 8 team format is much more fair and probably why the SEC is vehemently against it.