Looks like Lincoln Riley to USC

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Looks like Lincoln Riley to USC

Post by Duck07 »

It's a very favorable schedule for them next year as the OOC is Rice, Fresno and Notre Dame. They do play at OSU but because of the Cali cartel and their intra state games, we only play them like once every 3 years.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

StevensTechU wrote:Lordy, lordy. Doom and gloom crowd sure likes to get ahead of themselves.

Will it make the Pac-12 more competitive? Yes it will. Will a competitive pac-12 be good for Oregon? Almost certainly.

While it's going to make getting the Sewells and Flowes more difficult, it's also going to make getting the Bryce Youngs and DJ Us harder to get. USC keeping top talent at home will have a national impact, because Oregon isnt the only benefactor from their demise- Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Texas, and even Oklahoma have put numerous Californians and other west coasters on their rosters. So that means more parity around the country.

So will this impact Oregon's recruitments? Sure. But same goes for everyone in the top portion of the country. I'd say, though, that a stronger Pac-12 might be better for Oregon in the long run, as more and more players have been looking east and ruling out playing for any Pac-12 school, including the Ducks.
This is well said. A stronger USC means a stronger Pac-12 which is GOOD. The conference has become a laughing stock outside of Oregon so our conference wins do not carry the weight they once did. Will it hurt our recruiting? Sure it will, but if there is one thing MC can do is recruit so I do not see a huge drop off for the Ducks.

The one downside to this is the media. If there is one thing I haven't missed the last five years is the media fawning all over USC and telling us how they are gods gift to football. It was a nice break lately to not listen to that nauseating drumbeat of USC love. You watch, they will be ranked 3rd in the country in ALL the pre-season polls and the media will be a non-stop love fest with USC in 2022.

Quick look at next year:

Utah will win 10+ games
Oregon will win 10+ games
USC (gags) yes, I see them winning 10+ games
OSU Johnathan Smith doing good things, I see the bevs winning 7+ games

I think the Pac may gain some respectability next year.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I really ducking hate USC but I dunno how to feel about this move, the Pac-12 bringing a team to the playoff would be nice even tho it won't be us for now, and probably it will be a bit competitive again.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

I’m curious to know what kind of money USuC paid out. I know they are private and we will likely never know. Is it the $95 mil 10yr kinda deal Kelly got at LSU or is it more in the $100-$110 mil range. What does this do as far as pressure for other PAC-12 programs to pay coaches more.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I don't see USC doing a lot better next year. They can bring in all the 5 star skill players they want but until they fix the trenches things are going to be rough. They might have a bright future but not next year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

rsbgduck wrote:I’m curious to know what kind of money USuC paid out. I know they are private and we will likely never know. Is it the $95 mil 10yr kinda deal Kelly got at LSU or is it more in the $100-$110 mil range. What does this do as far as pressure for other PAC-12 programs to pay coaches more.
Probably closer to 120M value for Riley with the 2 home purchases, etc.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Duck07 wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:I’m curious to know what kind of money USuC paid out. I know they are private and we will likely never know. Is it the $95 mil 10yr kinda deal Kelly got at LSU or is it more in the $100-$110 mil range. What does this do as far as pressure for other PAC-12 programs to pay coaches more.
Probably closer to 120M value for Riley with the 2 home purchases, etc.
I was figuring in the $100 mil range but all the other add ons is crazy.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

USC wont be 10 wins next year but i can picture that happening by year 2-3.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Wow...You would think that USC just hired back Pete Carroll from the comments in this thread. He can recruit and his offense has been outstanding at Oklahoma. However, his defense has been flat out bad at times and I am not sure they could stop a turtle trying to get out of a paper bag.

Don't get me wrong, its a great hire. But he is not going to pull a Pete Carroll.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

northbeachsf wrote:Wow...You would think that USC just hired back Pete Carroll from the comments in this thread. He can recruit and his offense has been outstanding at Oklahoma. However, his defense has been flat out bad at times and I am not sure they could stop a turtle trying to get out of a paper bag.

Don't get me wrong, its a great hire. But he is not going to pull a Pete Carroll.
And he had 3 future NFL starters transfer in to play QB. Give any decent coach Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, and Kyler Murray, and they’re going to have some success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Wow...You would think that USC just hired back Pete Carroll from the comments in this thread. He can recruit and his offense has been outstanding at Oklahoma. However, his defense has been flat out bad at times and I am not sure they could stop a turtle trying to get out of a paper bag.

And he had 3 future NFL starters transfer in to play QB. Give any decent coach Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, and Kyler Murray, and they’re going to have some success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Riley also gets some credit for that and whether you think its deserved or not, the image is that he is responsible for it and that is what will sell with recruits. What will be real interesting is if Caleb Williams transfers and if Malachi stays with Riley or it opens things up.

It's also a good thing we've got Herbert in LA right now too. Helps keep that Oregon presence down south when USC has 0 starting NFL QBs.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

It looks like Riley is doing some housecleaning. Three of the lesser USC recruits (2 WRs, 1 DB) have decommitted from the program. Two have pretty good recruiting rankings, but I watched their hudl videos and I could absolutely imagine Riley thinks he can do better.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

IMHO one of the first things he needs to change is the self entitlement that is running rampant in that program from coaches to walk-ons. I know that’s part of changing the culture but that has been imbedded in that program for a long time. Pete Carrol did a great job of managing it but in the end Reggie and a few others (WR and a DL guy) bit the hand that fed them in the end.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

rsbgduck wrote:IMHO one of the first things he needs to change is the self entitlement that is running rampant in that program from coaches to walk-ons. I know that’s part of changing the culture but that has been imbedded in that program for a long time. Pete Carrol did a great job of managing it but in the end Reggie and a few others (WR and a DL guy) bit the hand that fed them in the end.
The Steve Smith Rent issue was utter bs. They were in essence punishing Smith for being roommates with his wealthy QB, Matt Leinart.

As for the other things, most of it is all considered legal now. The need for hundred-dollar handshakes is over with NIL.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Duck07 wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:IMHO one of the first things he needs to change is the self entitlement that is running rampant in that program from coaches to walk-ons. I know that’s part of changing the culture but that has been imbedded in that program for a long time. Pete Carrol did a great job of managing it but in the end Reggie and a few others (WR and a DL guy) bit the hand that fed them in the end.
The Steve Smith Rent issue was utter bs. They were in essence punishing Smith for being roommates with his wealthy QB, Matt Leinart.

As for the other things, most of it is all considered legal now. The need for hundred-dollar handshakes is over with NIL.
I get the $100 handshakes are a thing of the past. When I’ve watched USuC over the years since Pete all I see are a bunch of players on the field and not a team. Lincoln Riley even eluded to it on The Herd this morning by saying individual goals will come with team success (paraphrasing) which to me was referring directly to the individuality I see on the field.