Looks like Lincoln Riley to USC

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Looks like Lincoln Riley to USC

Post by Duck07 »

UofO8 wrote:
Last year 247 ranked Oregon 6 and USC...7th
And that was with an absolute idiot for a HC that had no clue what he was doing. Now imagine what it will be like lol
What it means is that win or lose USC has always had good classes and it isn't that big of deal. Again, if SC being good again prevents Mario from winning it all, he was never the right coach for us.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's official. Plus it sounds like Bob Stoops may come out of retirement to coach OU in their bowl game with Riley already getting to work at SC.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

If he retains dontae, USC will have a recruiting powerhouse in cali.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

My guesses for who he brings with him on his current staff:
OL: Bill Bedenbaugh
DC/S: Alex Grinch
DE/OLB: Jamar Cain

(A huge chunk of the staff is OU alumni. I think Sarkisian steals WR coach Dennis Simmons, who is his former teammate at BYU).

Who I think he would retain:
OC/QB: Graham Harrell
RB: Mike Jinks
TE: Seth Doege
CB: Donte Williams
dthomas=ddixon

Looks like Lincoln Riley to USC

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I’m excited for the conference, we desperately need another quality program or two to regain legitimacy.

I imagine Riley won’t be as good or bad as either extreme is anticipating. We weren’t consistently beating USC in recruiting battles as it was so this won’t change much. We might not get the future Thibs or Flowes but those were somewhat of anomalies as it was. What it will most likely mean is teams like Bama, tOSU, Georgia, Clemson, OU etc. won’t be able to come in and pluck the best west coast talent. Which is good for the conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If Riley doesn’t retain Dontae any chance he’d consider coming back to Oregon? I’d gladly take him as DC over Deruyter! Deruyter hasn’t amazed any of us and I know Williams is unproven but his recruiting alone makes him a worthwhile DC over Deruyter to me personally.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Lordy, lordy. Doom and gloom crowd sure likes to get ahead of themselves.

Will it make the Pac-12 more competitive? Yes it will. Will a competitive pac-12 be good for Oregon? Almost certainly.

While it's going to make getting the Sewells and Flowes more difficult, it's also going to make getting the Bryce Youngs and DJ Us harder to get. USC keeping top talent at home will have a national impact, because Oregon isnt the only benefactor from their demise- Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Texas, and even Oklahoma have put numerous Californians and other west coasters on their rosters. So that means more parity around the country.

So will this impact Oregon's recruitments? Sure. But same goes for everyone in the top portion of the country. I'd say, though, that a stronger Pac-12 might be better for Oregon in the long run, as more and more players have been looking east and ruling out playing for any Pac-12 school, including the Ducks.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

UofO8 wrote:Oregon had a fun run while it lasted. SC will own this conference now
Okay- sure! Thanks for this excellent post.

UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

lmduck wrote:
UofO8 wrote:Oregon had a fun run while it lasted. SC will own this conference now
Okay- sure! Thanks for this excellent post.

Hey, no problem. I know looking at the rest of the thread and seeing my post that went into more detail is probably a difficult task.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Well, looky here!

Per Ari Wasserman on twitter:

"5-star 2023 QB Malachi Nelson has decommitted from Oklahoma. Lincoln Riley has already called him on behalf of USC."

From TrojansWire (I know, a homer site for Spoiled Children):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... ar-AAReHfp

"USC is a new creation, a fully restored and healed entity. Sickness and suffering have given way to health and vitality. Anger and misery have been turned into euphoria and runaway optimism."

"Sunday, November 28, 2021 — the day of Riley’s hire — is not yet over. Already, the seismic shift in recruiting caused by this one move is being seen and felt in Oklahoma and Los Angeles. This earthquake is causing a tsunami."

"USC is riding the wave. Oklahoma is being battered by it."

I guess the new incarnation of Football Geez has arrived in LA...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Personally, although I do think USC will be improved on offense and in recruiting, Riley isn't a defensive guy. His defenses at Oklahoma have been mediocre, at best, and sometimes flat out bad. He needs a top-notch DC in order to win big regularly.

It'll be interesting to see which direction UW goes now. The pressure just went up for them to make a splash hire.
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I really don't like Oklahoma, so I'm enjoying watching it burn. So far they've gotten decommitments from:

2022- #96 overall Derrick Moore, #120 Kobie McKenzie, #353 Demetrius Hunter
2023- #2 overall Malachi Nelson, #9 Brandon Inniss, #96 Treyaun Webb.

Class of 2022 Raleek Brown (#34) is almost assuredly going to flip. Class of 2023 Makai Lemon (#22) and DeAndre Moore (#41), both Californians, will likely decommit. This is sort of what I was saying before- Riley was already raiding SoCal.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Yeah, a lot more doom/gloom than I expected from Oregon fans on this, but I guess it's the Twitter overreaction era.

Riley will be a good coach there, and we will lose some guys in recruiting, but we recruit nationally. It's going to hurt teams like UW/UCLA/ASU more within conference and teams from the east that have been pilfering top guys from USC.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Not sure if the OU AD gets the irony of being blindsided by Riley leaving:
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

StevensTechU wrote: I really don't like Oklahoma, so I'm enjoying watching it burn. So far they've gotten decommitments from:

2022- #96 overall Derrick Moore, #120 Kobie McKenzie, #353 Demetrius Hunter
2023- #2 overall Malachi Nelson, #9 Brandon Inniss, #96 Treyaun Webb.

Class of 2022 Raleek Brown (#34) is almost assuredly going to flip. Class of 2023 Makai Lemon (#22) and DeAndre Moore (#41), both Californians, will likely decommit. This is sort of what I was saying before- Riley was already raiding SoCal.

Jimbo is also playing in a way harder conference than he was when he won a title and compared to where Riley is going. Riley could crash and burn for all we know but that sounds like pure copium from that twitter account and is a terrible argument.