Cal Bears HC Justin Wilcox

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Cal Bears HC Justin Wilcox

Post by Greenblood »

Looks like the Bears are headed for a 4-8 season, and that would probably need to include a win over Stanford, by no means a given. Just has to be quite disappointing for the Cal AD after giving him that lucrative extension through 2027 early this year after he apparently snubbed Oregon's overtures.

I do think he'll get a "pass" this year, though I think that's in part because Cal's just made too big an investment in him to throw in the towel this quick. But surely he needs to show real, tangible Improvement next season.

I certainly don't assume that he is regretting a decision not to come and coach his alma mater, but it does make me wonder a little. I certainly don't think any of us are bothered by his decision!
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Cal Bears HC Justin Wilcox

Post by lmduck »

He was never their first choice. There was a lot that went on behind the scenes and no one involved in the hiring process wanted him. Had 'the letter' not been sent he would have not even been interviewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

I really don't care what actually happened, I'm just glad he isn't Oregon's head coach. Things could not have worked out better for the Ducks.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Yeah. I’ve heard any offer was based on being told by coaches higher on the board including Lanning. And also included him hiring approved assistants, not the garbage he has at Cal. He has proven he can coach D, can’t recruit and is awful at hiring a even average OC.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

He's let go of OC Musgrave and OL coach McClure. I'm sure he'll be making some other changes as well to keep his job.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

1000% correct and no matter how hard people try to continue the narrative that he turned down the job, well that is wrong and false. Saying it again, HE WAS NOT THEIR FIRST CHOICE. Some ‘old guard’ alums wanted him as did some of the former players but few others did. Lanning was their primary target and FIRST CHOICE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/esp ... own-oregon

The above is maybe one of the main articles that lead some to believe Wilcox was the top choice.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Greenblood wrote:https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/esp ... own-oregon

The above is maybe one of the main articles that lead some to believe Wilcox was the top choice.
I saw this article when it came out. I get the respect for Justin. He is a great Duck and by all accounts a really nice guy. Cal is a tough place and I feel for him, he does not have the support and passion in the fan base. At the recent Oregon/Cal game there were more Ducks there than Cal fans.

I know people inside the AD at UO and they have all confirmed that there was a conversation with Justin. It was very cursory and also a courtesy interview. The narrative can be spun that he turned down the job but multiple people in the department have confirmed that is not true. It was not offered. Take it FWIW.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I do wonder how he'd fare here as a potential DC down the road.