Current HOF Players

You can talk about all sim related stuff here.

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Re: Current HOF Players

Post by Craig »

The Bean Regime wrote:
Craig wrote:Also I strongly disagree with Isiah Thomas being a sure-fire HOFer :lol:

And put Dr. J in
Why? at worst top 2 defensive guard, potentially the 1st player to hit 10 all-defense awards (Can't say for certain since I never pulled the data, but seems likely) while most seasons being a great PG offensively.

For comparison, career averages (PPG, APG, SPG, TOPG)
Magic: 19.4/8.6/2.8/3.8
Brogan: 14.8/7.1/1.9/2.1
K. Smith: 17.0/8.3/2.3/3.0
K. Johnson: 16.4/9.6/2.2/3.5
M. Jordan: 14.6/6.5/2.0/2.5
Thomas: 16.3/7.9/2.7/3.7

And I wish I had Dr. J's stats. One of the notable missing guys. :(
I would argue that being on the higher end comparatively to contemporaries at a position that has been very weak since the league started doesn't necessarily make you that much more worthy. Maybe if you had like positional openings in the HOF like you have for All League Teams, I suppose he might be a HOF Point Guard, specifically. But for me a HOF is for simply the best players, so if you're the 3rd best PG in the league but the 25th best player in the league, that's a harder sell for me. His turnovers have always been a problem and his offense hasn't been super crazy to make up for it like someone like Magic. I'd have someone like Brogan rated higher than Thomas.
SUNS GM
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Craig wrote:
The Bean Regime wrote:
Craig wrote:Also I strongly disagree with Isiah Thomas being a sure-fire HOFer :lol:

And put Dr. J in
Why? at worst top 2 defensive guard, potentially the 1st player to hit 10 all-defense awards (Can't say for certain since I never pulled the data, but seems likely) while most seasons being a great PG offensively.

For comparison, career averages (PPG, APG, SPG, TOPG)
Magic: 19.4/8.6/2.8/3.8
Brogan: 14.8/7.1/1.9/2.1
K. Smith: 17.0/8.3/2.3/3.0
K. Johnson: 16.4/9.6/2.2/3.5
M. Jordan: 14.6/6.5/2.0/2.5
Thomas: 16.3/7.9/2.7/3.7

And I wish I had Dr. J's stats. One of the notable missing guys. :(
I would argue that being on the higher end comparatively to contemporaries at a position that has been very weak since the league started doesn't necessarily make you that much more worthy. Maybe if you had like positional openings in the HOF like you have for All League Teams, I suppose he might be a HOF Point Guard, specifically. But for me a HOF is for simply the best players, so if you're the 3rd best PG in the league but the 25th best player in the league, that's a harder sell for me. His turnovers have always been a problem and his offense hasn't been super crazy to make up for it like someone like Magic. I'd have someone like Brogan rated higher than Thomas.
I'd agree with this. Thomas doesn't strike me as a HOF guy.
Dr J could be a candidate. He's a guy that had very good stats, but those aside, it seemed like wherever he went the team won.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
The Bean Regime wrote:Oh I found the post where the developer says a player needs 25,000 HOF points to make it.

So, just out of curiosity, what are the HOF points of some of the top old players? Like Scott, Sampson, Magic, Schmidt.
Magic Johnson - 21,085

Ralph Sampson - 17,825

Michael Jordan - 13,685

Oscar Schmidt - 13,275

David Robinson - 12,635

Hakeem Olajuwon - 12,630

Drazen Petrovic - 11,635

Isiah Thomas - 11,445

Clark Kellogg - 11,160

Bryon Scott - 10,665

Charles Barkley - 7,780

Mitchell Jordan - 7,185

Danny Manning - 7,105

Jim Brogan - 5,055

Lafayette Lever - 4,970

Kenny Smith - 4,280
I am shocked that a couple of those names are so low.
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Post by The Bean Regime »

I think that PG DOES deserve that extra consideration simply because it's unique in the sense that only PGs can play it. I think the argument makes sense comparing the other 4 positions, but PG is limited.

Thomas is just as good as any of his contemporaries at scoring minus Magic while being an all-time level defender and playmaker. His TOs are bad, but I don't think that's so bad to drop him completely out of HOF considerations.

Would Magic be all that great looking at everyone? I'd be hard pressed to say he'd be better than Hersey Hawkins or Byron Scott at SG who are both a step down from the top SGs like MJ, Jackson, and Gill. Then you look at big men like Hakeem, DRob, Smith, Shaq. Does he even crack the top 10 last season if he were in his prime?

But he's an easy, easy choice as he plays PG.
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

The Bean Regime wrote:I think that PG DOES deserve that extra consideration simply because it's unique in the sense that only PGs can play it. I think the argument makes sense comparing the other 4 positions, but PG is limited.

Thomas is just as good as any of his contemporaries at scoring minus Magic while being an all-time level defender and playmaker. His TOs are bad, but I don't think that's so bad to drop him completely out of HOF considerations.

Would Magic be all that great looking at everyone? I'd be hard pressed to say he'd be better than Hersey Hawkins or Byron Scott at SG who are both a step down from the top SGs like MJ, Jackson, and Gill. Then you look at big men like Hakeem, DRob, Smith, Shaq. Does he even crack the top 10 last season if he were in his prime?

But he's an easy, easy choice as he plays PG.
I mean I've always been a bit lower on Magic for partly that reason lol

I guess it depends on your HOF criteria...what Im seeing here is added "points" for having the extra value in team building, since you're forced to have a PG. So having one that is a good chunk better than all the others is more significant from a team building perspective. But for me, Im not forced to have a PG in my HOF so Im going to compare him to everyone else, regardless of position and determine if he was just an outstanding enough player.
SUNS GM
800wins
Three Star Recruit

Post by 800wins »

How the hell did Moses win 8 MVPs ? What did his numbers look like ? & Is he the most dominant player across All DASL versions ?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

800wins wrote:How the hell did Moses win 8 MVPs ? What did his numbers look like ? & Is he the most dominant player across All DASL versions ?
He was easily the best player each of those seasons too.

He averaged about 33/14 over that span. I think he may have averaged 36+ one season

Darrell Griffith was the second best player during most of the 80s, and he was usually 25-26ppg.
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Post by The Bean Regime »

800wins wrote:How the hell did Moses win 8 MVPs ? What did his numbers look like ? & Is he the most dominant player across All DASL versions ?
from image

There are his career stats.

He was A- C D A A at 35yo when he retired. :lol:

52 POTWs and 24 POTMs.

One season under 50 FG%
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

lukeyrid13 wrote:

He averaged about 33/14 over that span. I think he may have averaged 36+ one season

Darrell Griffith was the second best player during most of the 80s, and he was usually 25-26ppg.
Get outta here with that Griffith s*** it was Julius :lol:
SUNS GM
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Craig wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:

Get outta here with that Griffith s*** it was Julius :lol:
At his peak yes. For the first 2 seasons Kareem was up there too. It’s been a bit, but I feel like Dr J had a shorter peak than Griffith did. Maybe I’m wrong.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Moses. First ballot.

Sampson. First Ballot.

Dr J. First Ballot.

Vlad. First ballot.

The rest are up in the air.
duckyoubeavers
Sophomore
GM: Toronto Raptors GM

Post by duckyoubeavers »

The Bean Regime wrote:
He was A- C D A A at 35yo when he retired. :lol:
dont remind me :oops:
Raptors GM