Offseason Discussion/League Improvements

You can talk about all sim related stuff here.

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Re: Offseason Discussion/League Improvements

Post by pistolpetejr »

Something I've seen done in the past is going by what bballref says. Example:

So LBJ would be eligible at SG, SF and PF.

It makes it easy and clean to follow a database we all have access to and is well-reputed.
---

PistolPeteJR
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

pistolpetejr wrote:Something I've seen done in the past is going by what bballref says. Example:

It makes it easy and clean to follow a database we all have access to and is well-reputed.
The issue with that is that when we built players, we specifically said they can only play x, y or z.
pistolpetejr
Senior

Post by pistolpetejr »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
pistolpetejr wrote:Something I've seen done in the past is going by what bballref says. Example:

The issue with that is that when we built players, we specifically said they can only play x, y or z.
I think doing it as a "moving forward" thing makes it unfair for those who have teams that can compete or that will compete soon and only benefits rebuilding teams.
It would need to be for every player in the league from here on out or whenever you guys choose to have it in effect.
---

PistolPeteJR
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

No lie, that would be even worse. I get that you let them play at x, y, z, and that may be the best solution, but tracking it becomes extremely cumbersome. what if bbref changes, is a gm punished because he didnt check the site?
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
pistolpetejr
Senior

Post by pistolpetejr »

Brophdog88 wrote:No lie, that would be even worse. I get that you let them play at x, y, z, and that may be the best solution, but tracking it becomes extremely cumbersome. what if bbref changes, is a gm punished because he didnt check the site?
Think it just stays as what it was from draft. And it would be noted in draft notes.
---

PistolPeteJR
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Personally I'd prefer whoever you start has to play that position. But I'm all for Broph idea. Will make Ownage's job tougher though.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

jibbajabba614 wrote:Personally I'd prefer whoever you start has to play that position. But I'm all for Broph idea. Will make Ownage's job tougher though.
Broph's list seems good, and can be pretty easily enforced. Most people look at their own box scores so if Ownage doesn't see one, someone will mention it in the thread per the usual or can just shoot a PM over to Ownage. I don't think it's rampant enough to ruin the league, but when something glaring like the Gasol one pops up it's easy enough to remedy, especially with set rules in place.
Marzeial
Freshman
GM: Atlanta Hawks

Post by Marzeial »

Can I please play Oden at the Point or the Two for one sim?
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

pudgejeff wrote:
jibbajabba614 wrote:Personally I'd prefer whoever you start has to play that position. But I'm all for Broph idea. Will make Ownage's job tougher though.
Broph's list seems good, and can be pretty easily enforced. Most people look at their own box scores so if Ownage doesn't see one, someone will mention it in the thread per the usual or can just shoot a PM over to Ownage. I don't think it's rampant enough to ruin the league, but when something glaring like the Gasol one pops up it's easy enough to remedy, especially with set rules in place.
What penalty would you suggest? Maybe cut players to their payroll could be added since competitive teams would benefit the most.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

I would love for some more GMs to weigh in with their thoughts on this
dennocj
Five Star Recruit
GM: Indiana Pacers

Post by dennocj »

I say place restrictions on every player or don't place any restrictions at all. Makes no sense only restricting certain players.
Cellar-door
Senior
GM: Charlotte Hornets

Post by Cellar-door »

I think in the last thread I was in favor of no more than 1 position away from the player's natural (draft) position, with the occasional special restriction on guys who break the game ridiculously (Lebron at 2, Melo at 2).
So listed at the draft as a C..... PF or C eligible
Listed at the draft as a PF..... C/PF/SF eligible
Listed at the draft as a SF.... PF/SF/SG eligible
Listed at the draft as a SG.... PG(backup)/SG/SF eligible.
Listed at the draft as a PG.... PG/SG eligible
Hornets GM
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

Cellar-door wrote:I think in the last thread I was in favor of no more than 1 position away from the player's natural (draft) position, with the occasional special restriction on guys who break the game ridiculously (Lebron at 2, Melo at 2).
So listed at the draft as a C..... PF or C eligible
Listed at the draft as a PF..... C/PF/SF eligible
Listed at the draft as a SF.... PF/SF/SG eligible
Listed at the draft as a SG.... PG(backup)/SG/SF eligible.
Listed at the draft as a PG.... PG/SG eligible
i think it's on the right track but it doesn't solve the bigs playing SF
SUNS GM
dennocj
Five Star Recruit
GM: Indiana Pacers

Post by dennocj »

A center playing SF would never work realistically. A SF playing SG happens literally all the time. If we place the 1 position up or down restriction, which I'm all for, then that should be the only restriction. Don't restrict other certain players just because they are good. Melo has been playing the 2 for numerous seasons and now Gasol playing SF, both obvious glaring advantages for them. But one of these actually makes sense while the other is an absolute joke
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

dennocj wrote:A center playing SF would never work realistically. A SF playing SG happens literally all the time. If we place the 1 position up or down restriction, which I'm all for, then that should be the only restriction. Don't restrict other certain players just because they are good. Melo has been playing the 2 for numerous seasons and now Gasol playing SF, both obvious glaring advantages for them. But one of these actually makes sense while the other is an absolute joke
I think extra restrictions would only be but in draft notes, not made retroactively, kinda like Bosh not allowed at SF