Eugene awarded 2021 World T&F Championships!

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Eugene awarded 2021 World T&F Championships!

Post by greenyellow »

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Hayward Field to get up to their planned 32000-seat capacity.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

You can say that again! I'm also wondering if the renovations will include a configuration that would allow the hammer throw competition to occur on the main Field.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

Greenblood wrote:You can say that again! I'm also wondering if the renovations will include a configuration that would allow the hammer throw competition to occur on the main Field.
That was part of the promised pitch they made for 2019, so I assume that is still going to happen for 2021.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

You have to think an indoor facility is possibly part of the plan as well.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

This is just . . . SO huge. I'm not convinced most of us (those who live in the Eugene area and even those of us with great interest in this) really realize just how big. Given its international element, I'd say this has to be the biggest scheduled sporting event -- perhaps the biggest event period -- in the state of Oregon's history. As big as the Olympic track & field Trials have been in Eugene (and undoubtedly will be again next year), this will be MUCH bigger. I hope the TrackTown USA folks, the Eugene-Springfield area and the State of Oregon are all up to it. Fortunately, there's some time to prepare.