+5
83%

Total votes: 12
Marzeial
Freshman
GM: Atlanta Hawks

2020 DASL Post-Draft 1st Round Grades

Post by Marzeial »

Back again with another draft recap. I forgot to post last years but I did remember this time. As usual let me know what you guys think and what you disagree with in regards to the ratings. It seemed like a lot more people hit with their needs this year and a lot more A's than in years past.

1. Seattle SuperSonics | Marvin Bagley PF 6'11'' 225 21 B+ C+ C- B C+ A
19. Seattle SuperSonics (from Jazz) | Malik Newman SG 6'3'' 190 23 C B C- B- C- B

A: The Sonics land their cornerstone with all apologies to Reggie Jackson. The Sonics hold in the lottery and land the top pick. Bagley should grow to a superstar level very quickly. He should make the rebuild of the Sonics much easier providing instant scoring from the 4. Newman provides some upside from the 2 position. While there are more upside players that were available, he should provide backup behind Dorsey.

2. Boston Celtics | RJ Barrett SF 6'6'' 205 20 C+ B- C B+ C- A

A: The big winner of the lottery in the Celtics. They made a huge jump and landed the premier SF in the draft. I think he's going to be a stud despite what the scouts think, who can provide help on both ends of the court. He fits exactly what the Celtics needed. He doesn't need to be the #1 option right off the bat since Bledsoe and Chriss fill that distinction but he could be their cornerstone in due time. Even if he only becomes a 2nd or 3rd option with that team, he is a great young player to fit with Chriss.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers | Bol Bol C 7'2'' 235 20 B- C- C- A- C+ A
28. Cleveland Cavaliers (from Kings) | Jalen Hill PF 6'9'' 215 22 C+ C+ C- B- B- B

A: The Cavs land who I think is the most intriguing player in the draft. If Bol x2 can be anything like his father, the Cavs landed a true defensive anchor in the middle. Bol looks to be quite more advanced on the offensive end than his father already and that can pay easy dividends later. Bol will pair with scorers in Valentine and Griffin and should allow him to grow. Schroder should be able to deliver the ball in a position for Bol to use his immense length in the post. Should he be able to provide anything outside of the post, he can be a monster to deal with. Hill may not ever do anything or he may provide some good depth. I would lean towards more of the depth side but as the last pick in the draft, it doesn't really cost the Cavs much to roll the dice with Hill. He looks like a serviceable big man who can at least provide some time with when Griffin is on the bench.

4. Portland Trailblazers | Zion Williamson SF 6'7'' 250 19 C+ C+ C C+ C A

A-: Lou Williams has some help on the way. Zion may be a few years away from being a true impact player but the athleticism and upside is there. He should be exciting to watch but the team is in a little bit of a rocky point. They have an aging star in Williams who would probably like to make one last run before the end and Williamson should help with that but does Portland want to tear it down and get something for him to help with the rebuild or do they go all-in one last time.

5. Toronto Raptors | Cameron Reddish SG 6'5'' 209 20 C+ B+ C C+ D+ A
25. Toronto Raptors (from Magic) | Gabriel Achterberg C 7'0'' 288 22 B C- D C+ B- C

B+: I really like Reddish. I think he's got what it takes to be an upper-tier SG in the league. As the top SG in the draft, the Raptors fill in a immediate hole in their roster at the 2 spot. He should be able to get buckets right away with the Raptors. I think the Raptors would be best served with moving Paul and Gay to turn the keys over to Winslow and Reddish but what do I know. I think they can clearly get some good pieces for the two and help jump start an already running rebuild. Achterberg is more of an unknown commodity out of Jacksonville. On tape he looks like he can get buckets down low but will that translate to the DASL is the big question. At the back end of the first again, he doesn't really cost them much if he doesn't pan out but he still brings the overall grade down due to his unknown status.

6. San Antonio Spurs | Malik Williams C 7'0'' 202 21 C+ C C- B+ C+ A
13. San Antonio Spurs (from Clippers) | Romeo Langford SG 6'5'' 201 20 C+ A- C B- C B

A: Did the Spurs add the final piece they needed to help complete this young core? Williams is a stud on the interior for the defensive side and can help erase anything that gets by Fournier or Fox. He won't do much on the offensive end for the Spurs but with Porter and company, they won't ask him to do much. He should be able to be thrown into the starting lineup from day one and send Dieng to the reserve role. If he can grow on the offensive end, the Spurs may have gotten a steal in Williams who has the upside to be the best C in the draft. Adding Langford should help immediately off the bench. Shoots it well from the outside and should help with the drop off when Fournier is out of the game. Should have a smaller role early on his his career but could grow to a more sizable role down the road.

7. Houston Rockets (from Bulls) | Dzanan Musa SF 6'9'' 202 21 C B C B C A
18. Houston Rockets (from Hornets) | Sekou Doumbouya PF 6'9'' 225 20 C+ C C- C C A

A: Upside, upside, upside. Did I mention that the Rockets are drafting for upside? They've got the two players who we haven't seen the most of as they've played overseas but they can grow to be huge pieces of a Rockets rebuild if they can translate their skills to the DASL game. Both players should assume starting roles along side KAT and Troy Brown and they should all be able to grow together. They won't provide much offensively to start out but they should be able to learn on the job which won't help them in the win column but it will help them in the rebuild.

8. Miami Heat | Simi Shittu PF 6'9'' 225 20 B- C+ C B- C+ B

A-: The Heat land Shittu who is a great athlete. The Heat have a roster that should be able to make a run at the playoffs but are missing that player at the 4 to help propel them there. Shittu can and should be that player. He can do a little bit of everything and has a smoothness to his game that should translate. While he doesn't have the long term potential that some of the players have, he can help get to a great top of the rotation level player who can have some big games here and there.

9. Atlanta Hawks | Lamar Peters PG 6'1'' 190 22 B- C B+ B- D+ B

C+: The Hawks clearly went BPA in their slot. Peters has almost no clear path ahead of him in playing time but they still chose to take him anyways. The team clearly has a need at the 4 but between the other 1st round picks spent there, they didn't seem to trust any of the options there at this point. With Walker, Obiagu and Langford all available still on the board, they Hawks may look back and regret this one. If Peters can grow to being an outstanding option at the point, with Fultz's size and Brown emerging last year, they could have some positional flexibility to work with. Until then, the Hawks clearly have the most questionable pick at this point. The Hawks with the 9th pick, wind up with the second worst grade in the draft.

10. Minnesota Timberwolves | Ikechukwu Obiagu C 7'0'' 230 21 B C D+ B- C+ B

B: Can you have too many bigmen? The Timberwolves are certainly going to test that theory really quickly. Having drafted Bam a couple of years ago and still having Okafor on the roster, Obiagu gets some time to grow. If he can grow, he could be a stud but that's the question. Either way, there isn't much pressure for Obiagu to be a star right away. They clearly had a need elsewhere which is what is bringing this grade down. They have a huge hole at the Point which Weatherspoon could have filled and provided that upside.

11. Philadelphia 76ers | Nick Weatherspoon PG 6'2'' 195 21 C- C+ C+ B- C- A

B-: The 76ers seem to have made the same move as the Hawks. Took BPA but like his backcourt mate Peters, Weatherspoon is going to have a hard time finding playing time behind Ball and Bazemore. With young 1st round picks at every position, the 76ers have a little more flexibility in making this choice. Weatherspoon has a ton of upside and should grow into a great 6th man and combo guard for the Sixers. The only question that is still haunting them is at the 4. Would the Sixers have been better served going after a bigman and trying to fill that gap or are they banking on the upside of Giles and hope that he returns to his HS form.

12. Los Angeles Lakers | Omari Spellman C 6'9'' 260 22 B D+ C B+ C+ B
14. Los Angeles Lakers (from Magic from Pistons) | Emmanuel Akot SF 6'8'' 201 21 C+ B- C B+ C B

B: The Laker have a serious need in the front court and are hoping that Spellman can fill that. He should be able to help out with the defensive end which should help this Lakers team. Akot provides the same type of defensive presence which should help the Lakers in the long run. Both players don't have the same type of upside but still provide some solid additions to the Lakers. If they can both learn some more on the offensive end they could turn out much better but even so, they'll still help out in one facet of the game.

15. New York Knicks | Lonnie Walker SG 6'4'' 205 21 B- B C B+ D+ B
20. New York Knicks (from Rockets) | Ira Lee C 6'9'' 235 22 C+ D+ C B B B

B: Lonnie Walker should help off the bench right away. He can provide some impact when Jaylen Brown sits down. He should be able to help out at the 2/3 right away. Ira Lee probably doesn't crack that rotation anytime soon. They have a massive log jam at the 5/4 but why not add another body at this point. At 20, it doesn't really hurt to take a chance but they could have filled a hole at another position at this point. I think taking an upside PG such as Shai Gilggeous-Alexander at this point would have been a better fit but that's just me.

16. Orlando Magic (from Lakers from Nets) | Shai Gilgeous-Alexander PG 6'6'' 187 21 C- C+ C+ C+ C- A
24. Orlando Magic (from Lakers from Bucks) | Brian Bowen SF 6'7'' 205 21 C- B+ C+ C+ D B

B+: The Magic have found their long-term successor to Russ Smith in Shai G-A. I think he blows up and becomes a stud. With his size, he will cause troubles for the other PG's in the DASL. Quick as lightning who gets to learn behind Smith and take over for him either next year or if he can figure it out quickly, this year. The Magic's roster is full of studs with Giannis leading the way. If G-A can get the keys to the kingdom, he won't be asked to do much other than facilitate to those guys and watch the team thrive. Bowen may have some of the hardest time for playing of any of the 1st round picks. With Giannis and Josh Jackson ahead of him at the 2/3 and Dejounte Murray also ahead of him, he is looking at a tough road to play. If he can crack that rotation, then the Magic clearly got a steal, especially this late in the draft.

17. Denver Nuggets | Sacha Killeya-Jones C 6'10'' 220 21 C+ C- C B- C+ A

B-: The Nuggets take the second consecutive Wildcat who didn't live up to the hype in college. If SKJ can get his game together, they could have a player. The problem is, there is too much in front of him currently. With Embiid, Hawes, and Augustine in front of him, SKJ doesn't really have much room for playing time. The Nuggets also have a hole at the 3 or backup 2 if they want to run Diallo and Ferguson at the 2/3, they still need help with a combo wing player. They have to hope that SKJ turns out to be a stud who can take over Hawes if they decide to let him go after this year.

21. Vancouver Grizzlies (from Spurs from Pacers) | Jordan Nwora SF 6'8'' 220 22 B- C C C+ C A
29. Vancouver Grizzlies | Immanuel Quickley PG 6'4'' 184 20 C B- B A- D D

B+: Nwora gets to learn from one of the best in Melo. It will also give him some time to grow and become to player they hope he can be. Especially drafting towards the end of the draft, you have to take a chance at a lottery ticket as I've mentioned before. Quickly has little upside but he is clearly ready to back up Joseph from day 1. As long as he is able to distribute the ball to Melo, AD and Thon he should be able to fill a good backup role. I mean even I could be a great PG for that team with that type of talent inside.

22. Washington Bullets | Kris Wilkes SF 6'7'' 210 21 B- B+ C B- C- C

B: Wilkes isn't very exciting and doesn't have the most upside but he can help out from day one which is exactly what the Bullets need. They need some help at the backup 2/3 position and that is exactly what Wilkes can provide. He doesn't need to be the flashiest player, he just needs to provide some quality minutes and learn from Booker, and McCollum. Give him some time and he should be able to fill in just in case he is called upon to start.

23. Phoenix Suns | Luka Samanic PF 6'10'' 220 20 C+ C D C+ C A

B: At this point the Suns need to make a run for talent and upside. They are clearly in need at the 4/5 and finding someone this late in the draft who could turn out is a good move on their fault. They'll have to hope that Luka who is still learning can accelerate that learning curve and help out a team that is still a contender. If they can get that from him, they can have a solid backup and swing player behind Draymond and Oden.

26. Golden State Warriors | Wenyen Gabriel PF 6'9'' 222 23 C+ C C+ B+ B C

B-: Gabriel should help out on the defensive end with the Warriors. He won't be asked to do anything on the offensive with Durant and Ingram as well as Vucevic who can shoulder the load. That is where Gabriel does shine though is on the defensive end. I think they may have been better served taking a PG with pure upside could have been a better choice at this point but the Warriors are a well built team that just needs some help in the reserve roles.

27. Chicago Bulls (from Mavericks) | Ethan DeBernardi SF 6'9'' 224 20 B C+ C C+ C+ B

C: The Bulls have a young team that is building. They are working on building for the future and had an amazing draft last year. I'm not all too clear why DeBernardi was selected but they seem to know what they're doing. I think they would have been much better served selecting some sort of big man to help out WCS and Aaron Gordon. DeBernardi was lost in the shuffle at Kentucky but maybe his game is better served for the pros. Time will tell how that works out but the Bulls have shown that they understand the draft after getting our strongest grade from last year (which I forgot to post)
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Re: 2020 DASL Post-Draft 1st Round Grades

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Great write up. I really liked the Celtics, Cavs and Knicks draft
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

I would agree with your assessment with a caveat, I was looking for the most ready now pick. And I just keep fishing for a post in the draft, and lost again.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Hopefully you're right and Dorsey takes a step up this year and actually shoots.
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

I like Sonics, Cavs and Spurs picks. Draft has a lot of guys who can go either way.
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Post your preferences below for +5
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

Tatum
1) 3pt
2) Jump shot
3) Defensive Rebounding
4) Handling
5) Strength
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Zyme wrote:Tatum
1) 3pt
2) Jump shot
3) Defensive Rebounding
4) Handling
5) Strength
Done