Is OSU or Washington our true arch rival?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Is OSU or Washington our true arch rival?

Post by pezsez1 »

Now, if we're focusing on just normal in-conference rivals, then I'd say it has to be Stanford right now, because OSU and UW are just terrible.

However, Stanford means absolutely nothing to us at this point in the year, so it's hard to call them a rival... and OSU is so bad, I honestly can't say they're a huge rival right now... and we don't even know who we're playing in the CCG... so seriously, at this point, we could toss a coin to determine our in-conference rival.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:Now, if we're focusing on just normal in-conference rivals, then I'd say it has to be Stanford right now, because OSU and UW are just terrible.

However, Stanford means absolutely nothing to us at this point in the year, so it's hard to call them a rival... and OSU is so bad, I honestly can't say they're a huge rival right now... and we don't even know who we're playing in the CCG... so seriously, at this point, we could toss a coin to determine our in-conference rival.
So basically our rival is simply whoever is hot then? To me a rivalry is a situation where stuff like that is irrelevant because the dislike is always going to be there regardless of how they are playing. You think Ohio State is going to care that Michigan blows this year? Heck no, that only helps add to it.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

To me a rivalry is a situation where stuff like that is irrelevant because the dislike is always going to be there regardless of how they are playing.
I fully agree with you on what a rival should be, which is why I said a few posts ago that our biggest in-conference rivals are Stanford, Washington and Oregon State.

But you can't honestly say that Oregon State's current incarnation really gets your juices flowing.

Yeah, it's the Civil War... a good chance to talk smack to family and friends. And yes, I want bragging rights for an eighth year in a row. But let's not kid ourselves... Oregon State is terrible. In no way, shape or form do I measure Oregon against Oregon State. And without that relationship, it's just kind of funny to call this a rivalry. At this point, I think the only real rivalry in the Civil War is between fanbases, not the actual teams.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Before we get carried away with the Alabama thing, it is good to remember that we are probably barely on their map at all, other than as a potential opponent in the playoffs this year. Alabama fans only think about the SEC and the nameless, faceless opponents from other conferences who are just so much fodder on their way to a national championship. If we said 'Alabama is Oregon's rival' to one of their fans, they would probably laugh in our faces or give us a quizzical "Do we know each other?" look. It used to be that way for USC, and back in the 80's for UW. We felt like there was a rivalry, and they would just pat us on the head and say 'Aww, isn't that cute? Koochy Koochy Coo!

Maybe Boise State thinks they are Oregon's rival too. :lol:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If we said 'Alabama is Oregon's rival' to one of their fans, they would probably laugh in our faces or give us a quizzical "Do we know each other?" look.
I would never say Alabama and Oregon are rivals. That wouldn't make sense, given the meaning of "rivals" in sports.

The use of the word "nemesis" is far more fitting. Still, you are totally right... Oregon fans probably think about playing 'Bama way more than 'Bama fans think about playing Oregon. That's because Bama has legit archrivals within its own conference, namely LSU and Auburn. Nationally, though, I can't think of two teams that have been so connected by college football media/fans as Oregon and 'Bama. If there's a matchup people want to see, it's Oregon vs. Bama.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

To stay on topic....its UW. Hands down. Always has been and always will be. Conceited stuck up fan base. Alabama? A nemesis? I don't see it. I think Bama is what most universities strive to be....results wise. But Oregons rival...nahhh
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

duckfan96 wrote:To stay on topic....its UW. Hands down. Always has been and always will be. Conceited stuck up fan base. Alabama? A nemesis? I don't see it. I think Bama is what most universities strive to be....results wise. But Oregons rival...nahhh

I disagree. Growing up in Oregon everyone always asks you "ducks or beavers?" not "ducks or huskies?" This year during Husky week nobody on campus was even remotely getting fired up for it. I'm not trying to diminish how the older fan base feels about the Huskies, but if you ask most young men or women who grew up in Oregon past 1990 they will say Oregons primary rival is OSU.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I do believe UW is our most hated rival... but "most hated" doesn't necessarily mean "biggest."

For example, Stanford is a rival, and that rivalry has been way more meaningful in recent years than the Oregon/UW rivalry.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I cannot stand Washington and relish in every single loss they rack up along the way.

If Oregon state loses, cool, if they win, meh. I really don't mind if they are a good or bad team so long as we win the Civil War.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

duckfan96 wrote:To stay on topic....its UW. Hands down. Always has been and always will be. Conceited stuck up fan base. Alabama? A nemesis? I don't see it. I think Bama is what most universities strive to be....results wise. But Oregons rival...nahhh
Succinct and to the point. Anyone who's old enough to remember Kenny Wheaton and The Pick knows this to be true.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

So uh, off topic but who cares. Odell freaking Beckham. That was absurd. That isn't even fair.
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

DAT_man_again wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:Dat surely you know why we hate the Huskies? Are you asking for the history lesson?
Haha I am perfectly aware of why we hate the huskies. And I understand. It's just most of us who grew up in this state before the ducks dominance over the beavers feel like the civil war is a bigger deal than our game with the huskies. Again, it feels like a holiday every year, even though the beavers have sucked since 09.

For me it is not even a close question. I grew up in a time that nobody even wore oregon gear. My buddy was all dolphins/hurricane I ran with niners (because the old man let me bet a buck on the game of my choice and they ussually won late 80's early 90's) and penn state, I admit it is a bit embarrassing now. 20 minutes from autzen and NOBODY wore anything ducks. Both the beavs and ducks sucked and we accepted it. Watching the huskies success but more important listening to their self described entitlement and the years of belittlement even after we turned the corner makes these last ten years sooo much enjoyable. I pull for the beavs and now have gone to probably 30 of their games mostly with friends that are alums. I use to even have a osu hat and sweatshirt for the occasion. REcruiting is such an uphill battle for the state of oregon, it just sucks that every year they start off so bad and by the end of the year they are dialed in and playing like a top 20 program. Give Riley credit for doing that with the recruits he his getting. LOL, this reminds me of a picture of myself in my penn state hat mullet... Funny how the years seem to move by.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

Oh come on there has to be somebody here who hates the bitter beavers as much as I do??
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

pezsez1 wrote:I do believe UW is our most hated rival... but "most hated" doesn't necessarily mean "biggest."

For example, Stanford is a rival, and that rivalry has been way more meaningful in recent years than the Oregon/UW rivalry.
I normally enjoy your posts. This particular subject though I personally can't relate to you at all. I have never felt stanford or even alabama or even ohio state is a rival, but under your logic now I guess it would have to be arizona. I do not feel arizona is our rival at all. I would feel good and chuckle if the ncaa banned the huskies from ever fielding a football team again, that is what I consider a rival. The rest is just games I really want to win. I think rivalries take decades to create.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DAT_man_again wrote:Oh come on there has to be somebody here who hates the bitter beavers as much as I do??
For me, OSU is still the game I most look forward to since it's the game that let's either fanbase to have bragging rights throughout the year. Having put up with a lot of hazing and cockiness from former classmates and teammates who jumped on the OSU bandwagon during the Erickson era, seeing Oregon dominate while OSU has continued it's middling ways helps put a smile on my face. It also brings great joy to see some of those same people now claim to be Oregon fans when I know they only switched over once OSU started fading.