Will Lockie be the guy next year?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Re: Will Lockie be the guy next year?

Post by DAT_man_again »

chapelhillduck wrote:Unless Griffin can throw (no indication of this yet) he might be another Chris harper
No indication? That was my first time watching highlights of him but he seemed like a decent passer.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'll pick a horse for this race come the spring game. Right now I haven't seen anything from Lockie that tells me he can't be a quality starter with next year's roster on offense. We're going to be very, very good on O.

WR - Addison, Stanford, Allen, Nelson and Carrington are all experienced.
TE - Mundt and Bayliss with perhaps Pharoah mid-season.
RB - Royce, Tyner with another year and possibly Byron to throw everywhere
OL - Johnstone, Pisarcik, Brenner, Hunt and Crosby/Yruretagoyena could/should be a better OL than what we had this year.

We absolutely do not need a playmaker at QB, we need a PG who can get the ball to those established playmakers.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

My opinion isn't worth much in this case since I don't see these players performing in practice every day. That being said, piecing together all the bits of information that are available to me, I would say the odds are very strong that Lockie will be the starting QB when next season begins.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

The coaches had enough confidence in Lockie to have him throw over the middle from his own goal line on his first play
nogerO
Senior

No

Post by nogerO »

We've got some folks in the wings who will step in and carry on. Especially with the talent we have coming back and coming in...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If everything stays as it is right now, our Qb could be interesting next year. That said I still think we will ad 1-2 QBs to the roster by this spring, and one that I still think we might end up with who would start from day one is Kyler Murray. I'm hearing there is a good chance he visits before signing day.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

maxduck wrote:The coaches had enough confidence in Lockie to have him throw over the middle from his own goal line on his first play
I noticed this too...that isn't nothing - it's kind of a big deal. I think someone would have to really perform well to displace Lockie. There is usually a scuttlebutt from reporters/message boards if a young skill player is really doing well in practice. It was true for LaMichael, and for Marcus and Freeman. I haven't heard anything yet from Mahalek. In fact, the only guy who gets mentioned is Griffin. Should be a fun story to follow this spring.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:If everything stays as it is right now, our Qb could be interesting next year. That said I still think we will ad 1-2 QBs to the roster by this spring, and one that I still think we might end up with who would start from day one is Kyler Murray. I'm hearing there is a good chance he visits before signing day.
I thought the coaches didn't want to waste an OV on longshot DL so why would they do the same with Murray? Unless its not an OV of course.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:If everything stays as it is right now, our Qb could be interesting next year. That said I still think we will ad 1-2 QBs to the roster by this spring, and one that I still think we might end up with who would start from day one is Kyler Murray. I'm hearing there is a good chance he visits before signing day.
I thought the coaches didn't want to waste an OV on longshot DL so why would they do the same with Murray? Unless its not an OV of course.
My source tells me he and frost talk 3-4 times a week, and he does a lot of the calling. Not saying he will be a duck, but he is still in play. He even visited OU a couple weeks ago. He's still committed to A&M, but I'd call it soft right now.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote: My source tells me he and frost talk 3-4 times a week, and he does a lot of the calling. Not saying he will be a duck, but he is still in play. He even visited OU a couple weeks ago. He's still committed to A&M, but I'd call it soft right now.
If TAMU wasn't going through QBs right now, I think we'd have a better chance. Who knows what he'll decide but I don't see the coaches going with a true fr starter next year.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
My source tells me he and frost talk 3-4 times a week, and he does a lot of the calling. Not saying he will be a duck, but he is still in play. He even visited OU a couple weeks ago. He's still committed to A&M, but I'd call it soft right now.
I would think that the opening at QB for the ducks next year would have to be a major consideration for any prospect who wasn't dyed-in-the-wool for a given school. If Marcus wins the Heisman, that will only increase the Oregon QB profile in general.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Fwiw Damon Griffin (former UO WR) wrote and article today on DT, and his prediction to be the starter next year is Waller.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Fwiw Damon Griffin (former UO WR) wrote and article today on DT, and his prediction to be the starter next year is Waller.
I just have a hard time seeing a True Freshman win the QB job. Some might view it as a great thing but I wouldn't.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Fwiw Damon Griffin (former UO WR) wrote and article today on DT, and his prediction to be the starter next year is Waller.
I just have a hard time seeing a True Freshman win the QB job. Some might view it as a great thing but I wouldn't.
It would scare the crap out of me. Particularly, Waller whose results in high school lag way behind his potential. I am a big Waller fan and hold high hopes for him long term, but he was so far from a D1 starting QB in the game I watched, the thought of him starting for us next year gives me the shivers.

The worthless odds I would set.
65% Lockie
15% Griffin
10% MM2
5% Allie
5% Waller

If Braxton Miller Transfers in
97% him
2% Lockie
1% One of the others.

I suspect Griffin is ahead of MM2 on the Scout team. MM2 has not worked his way past Allie onto the travel squad. Marcus made the travel squad his true freshmen year even though he was redshirting. That is your big read. If you are in championship contention you take your best 3 qbs on the road with you whether you're trying to redshirt them or not (Griffin being exempt from this as he is not eligible.)
vagusnerve
Freshman

Post by vagusnerve »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
It would scare the crap out of me. Particularly, Waller whose results in high school lag way behind his potential. I am a big Waller fan and hold high hopes for him long term, but he was so far from a D1 starting QB in the game I watched, the thought of him starting for us next year gives me the shivers.

The worthless odds I would set.
65% Lockie
15% Griffin
10% MM2
5% Allie
5% Waller

If Braxton Miller Transfers in
97% him
2% Lockie
1% One of the others.

I suspect Griffin is ahead of MM2 on the Scout team. MM2 has not worked his way past Allie onto the travel squad. Marcus made the travel squad his true freshmen year even though he was redshirting. That is your big read. If you are in championship contention you take your best 3 qbs on the road with you whether you're trying to redshirt them or not (Griffin being exempt from this as he is not eligible.)
yeah, mm2 hasn't received the scout team shout outs. he has also been hurt most of the year.

the coaches looking at JC qbs, talking to braxton, and going all in on Kyler Murray tell you all you need to know. they will take more qbs this year if they have the opportunity.