DC Name is emerging... Scott Shafer

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan22
Senior

Re: DC Name is emerging... Scott Shafer

Post by duckfan22 »

the problem i have with where our defense has been when Hoke came here he was trying
to fit a square peg into a round hole. And he was unable to.. actually failed big time.
I believed Helf should have stuck with the scheme we had but get someone who can
actually teach it. The ducks were bad in the 3-4 then you try and change things? I think
with all the spread teams around and have read a lot is the 3-4 is the best way. But i am not
a coach. I watched Alabamas defense and he had to change how he recruited and his philosophy
and go a bit lighter on the line and plays a 3-4 and he did this because of the spread teams.
He also has 4 very athletic linebakers. They are very aggressive. Troy Dye to me fits that style.
i could also be mis informed lets say.. Just what ive read and studied...
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I can't imagine Strong couldn't find a head coaching gig (like USF for example). But if he wants to be DC jhere, by all means come!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

ducks1311 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:We might pay him as much as USF would, and then when he turns our D around next yeah he could possibly land a much bigger job than USF. The think about USF, everyone will know Willie T did the heavy lifting so even if he wins, it could take a few years to get another big 5 job there.
Furthermore, what we pay him is irrelevant. He will make his Texas salary no matter what.. What we or USF pay him will just offset how much Texas has to pay him. He can truly make a decision between HC in AAC or Power 5 DC.
Not really Under a contract that was set to run through Jan. 23, 2019, Strong will be owed a buyout of about $11.2 million that would be paid out on a monthly basis through the end of the contract term. However, Strong is obligated to make reasonable efforts to obtain other employment. If he does, Texas’ obligation to him will be offset by an amount equal to 50% of the total compensation Strong receives from his new job.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:750 the game in their sports report said we offered strong as well.
Did they cite this board as their source?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

duck55 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:750 the game in their sports report said we offered strong as well.
Did they cite this board as their source?
They sited 247.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Why ANYONE cites 247 as a source is beyond me. Run by one guy that used to have basketball connections and was a journalism student at the UofO and one guy from Medford that put the program in the grey area of recruiting violations by calling recruits to ask them what they were going to do. Neither know a damned thing about the program nor have any real sources. Its all click bait.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

They (1080 or 750, can't recall) also had Justin Hopkins on for a full on interview regarding the latest DC rumors. Gave me a chuckle.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:They (1080 or 750, can't recall) also had Justin Hopkins on for a full on interview regarding the latest DC rumors. Gave me a chuckle.
Your shitting me right now! They actually had Jhop on for an interview? Really? What a freaking douche bag.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

TualatinDuck wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:They (1080 or 750, can't recall) also had Justin Hopkins on for a full on interview regarding the latest DC rumors. Gave me a chuckle.
Your shitting me right now! They actually had Jhop on for an interview? Really? What a freaking douche bag.
Maybe their is a niche for real professionals in that market.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

maxduck wrote:
ducks1311 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:We might pay him as much as USF would, and then when he turns our D around next yeah he could possibly land a much bigger job than USF. The think about USF, everyone will know Willie T did the heavy lifting so even if he wins, it could take a few years to get another big 5 job there.
Furthermore, what we pay him is irrelevant. He will make his Texas salary no matter what.. What we or USF pay him will just offset how much Texas has to pay him. He can truly make a decision between HC in AAC or Power 5 DC.
Not really Under a contract that was set to run through Jan. 23, 2019, Strong will be owed a buyout of about $11.2 million that would be paid out on a monthly basis through the end of the contract term. However, Strong is obligated to make reasonable efforts to obtain other employment. If he does, Texas’ obligation to him will be offset by an amount equal to 50% of the total compensation Strong receives from his new job.
So if I'm reading that correctly, it would financially behoove him to take a lesser paying job? If he took a DC job paying say $400K, his buyout would be reduced by $200K annually as opposed to him taking a HC job and making say $1.5M where it would be reduced by $750K.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

mdm0302 wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:
Who are you referring to as the professional?
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

Duck24 wrote:
maxduck wrote:
ducks1311 wrote:
So if I'm reading that correctly, it would financially behoove him to take a lesser paying job? If he took a DC job paying say $400K, his buyout would be reduced by $200K annually as opposed to him taking a HC job and making say $1.5M where it would be reduced by $750K.
I read it this way:

Strong finds no job, he makes around $3.7M per year (just divided his $11.2 by 3 remaining years)
Strong gets a job that pays $400K, then the $3.7M is reduced to $3.5M...add the $400K he makes from his new job and his annual total is $3.9M
Strong gets a job that pays $1.5M, then the $3.7M is reduced to $2.95M...add the $1.5M he makes from his new job and his annual total is $4.45M

So, no, it doesn't behoove him to get a lower contract, if I read it correctly.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

AutzenMember wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
maxduck wrote:
ducks1311 wrote:
I read it this way:

Strong finds no job, he makes around $3.7M per year (just divided his $11.2 by 3 remaining years)
Strong gets a job that pays $400K, then the $3.7M is reduced to $3.5M...add the $400K he makes from his new job and his annual total is $3.9M
Strong gets a job that pays $1.5M, then the $3.7M is reduced to $2.95M...add the $1.5M he makes from his new job and his annual total is $4.45M

You're right. I didn't take into account his earnings from the new position. On top of that, if he took the USF job, no state income taxes, so a nice pickup there as well.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

AutzenMember wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
maxduck wrote:
ducks1311 wrote:
I read it this way:

You just made my head hurt and Im a numbers guy! :lol:
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

TualatinDuck wrote:
mdm0302 wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:
Who are you referring to as the professional?
there**** I'm illiterate.. and not hopkins