Student Section

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Student Section

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I have talked about this several times over the last few years but it's truly become abysmal at this point. Will Mullens and the AD finally forego the lottery system and/or take away half of the tickets available and make a GA section instead?

Or are we going to continue giving out free tickets to 5000 people who don't care to stay or even show up to the game at all?
Duckenstein
Freshman

Re: Student Section

Post by Duckenstein »

Yes
lukeyrid13 wrote:I have talked about this several times over the last few years but it's truly become abysmal at this point. Will Mullens and the AD finally forego the lottery system and/or take away half of the tickets available and make a GA section instead?

Or are we going to continue giving out free tickets to 5000 people who don't care to stay or even show up to the game at all?
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Like many problems , this one will go unanswered.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

With the new system of clicking a comp to get a ticket, I'm assuming there are a lot of student bodies who are 50-50 and decide not to show up at the last minute. Plus considering there's a lot of chaos with anti athletics on campus, it could even be staged.
On top of that a lot of these students are academia/liberal and don't care about the team. It's just the vibe of the campus nowadays.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Make students pay for season football and men's basketball tickets and take the cost out of student fees.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

shoparound wrote:With the new system of clicking a comp to get a ticket, I'm assuming there are a lot of student bodies who are 50-50 and decide not to show up at the last minute. Plus considering there's a lot of chaos with anti athletics on campus, it could even be staged.
On top of that a lot of these students are academia/liberal and don't care about the team. It's just the vibe of the campus nowadays.
Imagine that. Students in college are part of academia. As for the staged walkout accusation, blame Antifa or something.

It probably had more to do with the fact that the team isn’t all that exciting and the 3rd quarter was a snoozefest. Would I have left as a student, absolutely not. But then again, I camped out for tickets and got to the gates hours before they opened to get the best seats. I’m not gonna get all NIMBY on them though.

I do agree with 07 though. Stop charging all students for tickets as a part of mandatory fees and let individual students decide if they want to buy them and sell any unsold tickets as GA. Seems like a win-win for the AD IMO.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Duck24 wrote:
shoparound wrote:With the new system of clicking a comp to get a ticket, I'm assuming there are a lot of student bodies who are 50-50 and decide not to show up at the last minute. Plus considering there's a lot of chaos with anti athletics on campus, it could even be staged.
Imagine that. Students in college are part of academia. As for the staged walkout accusation, blame Antifa or something.

It probably had more to do with the fact that the team isn’t all that exciting and the 3rd quarter was a snoozefest. Would I have left as a student, absolutely not. But then again, I camped out for tickets and got to the gates hours before they opened to get the best seats. I’m not gonna get all NIMBY on them though.

I do agree with 07 though. Stop charging all students for tickets as a part of mandatory fees and let individual students decide if they want to buy them and sell any unsold tickets as GA. Seems like a win-win for the AD IMO.
Its ridiculous to charge students those mandatory fees. In my four years, I only went to one game during my freshman year and 90% of my friends never went to a single game in their +4 years at UO.

The AD and school knows these stats and its too good for them to not make alot more money by charging all the students, the majority that do not attend games, than being fair and eliminating these mandatory charges and only selling tickets to students that want to attend games.

Fortunately I'm not a student anymore or else I'd be even more pissed off for paying these mandatory fees. At least back then, those fees were going towards students that were passionate and loyal to the team and game.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Quote by Smalls, thanks students that left early in the student section.

"The fans are crazy," he said. "They show real love and are really dedicated to the team - even though a little section of the student section left early. They are dedicated to the team. Coach Cristobal is my guy, coach Tre Watson is my guy, coach (Joe) Salave'a is real cool."
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

alxtw wrote: Its ridiculous to charge students those mandatory fees. In my four years, I only went to one game during my freshman year and 90% of my friends never went to a single game in their +4 years at UO.

The AD and school knows these stats and its too good for them to not make alot more money by charging all the students, the majority that do not attend games, than being fair and eliminating these mandatory charges and only selling tickets to students that want to attend games.

Fortunately I'm not a student anymore or else I'd be even more pissed off for paying these mandatory fees. At least back then, those fees were going towards students that were passionate and loyal to the team and game.
Go on, tell me about the lack of student support again.
pdxmallard
Two Star Recruit

Post by pdxmallard »

I was at the game and I was impressed with the student section and the way they were involved, particularly early. I was thinking that the students were actually more animated and into the game than I've seen previously in quite a while. As far as leaving early, during the second half it was ASU that was providing the "excitement," it was cold, it was late, and any reasonably priced beer was at a warmer place, somewhere else. I don't share the concern regarding the involvement of the student section, and without them Saturday night, the rest of us could have actually heard what MC was yelling at the officials.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The "new" ticket system started in 2008.

The "lack of support" by the student section has been observed nationally, not just Oregon, and they have many types of systems. See Saban's gripes about Alabama.

If I had to pay for tickets, I never would have went to a game, and now I'm a lifelong fan who pays for multiple tickets per season. Free or subsidized tickets for students is an investment. Those students become alumni, and those alumni pay big dollars and put a lot of butts in seats. Limit the student section = limit future donors. Dumb idea.

I think the best thing is to simply run on-campus campaigns to generate excitement. Make it so every student wants to be at the game.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:The "new" ticket system started in 2008.

The "lack of support" by the student section has been observed nationally, not just Oregon, and they have many types of systems. See Saban's gripes about Alabama.

If I had to pay for tickets, I never would have went to a game, and now I'm a lifelong fan who pays for multiple tickets per season. Free or subsidized tickets for students is an investment. Those students become alumni, and those alumni pay big dollars and put a lot of butts in seats. Limit the student section = limit future donors. Dumb idea.

I think the best thing is to simply run on-campus campaigns to generate excitement. Make it so every student wants to be at the game.
So unless its changed, the school charges ALL students for the cost of football and basketball tickets through student fees whether you have an interest in attending or not. So if the AD says that those seats are worth $50K, then the student fees get allotted accordingly. When one of my buddies went to UM for Grad School, he'd pay like 180$ for 5-7 home football games and while it's slightly more than what you'd pay in student fees, you got your tickets or you could give it to a student who was going to attend.

Sabans issue with the Bama student section have to do with Bama playing on a different level entirely with a roster 40 deep of 5 stars. Citadel in week 10! F yeah!

The best thing is either to have the students who want to go pay for it or to go back to giving out a physical ticket on a first come, first serve basis that students could then give to other students if they can't make the game. There was no better excitement generator for a game than the Oklahoma Camp-out in 2005. We had the big screen outside the ticket office, kegs in the back of trucks and a line of students/tents stretching over a 1/4 mile towards MLK. Somehow I even managed to get my Monday readings in for my Ken class.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

While I'm sure students might not be as interested in a 7-4 team like they would in a 10-1 team, I think there's a general lack of attendance in college football.

UW honoring their most successful SR class in recent memory:

10-1 Oklahoma: