Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Mario Cristobal 41st best coach among power 5 conferences

Post by UOducksTK1 »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ked-65-26/

He's the 7th highest Pac-12 coach. Fair assessment?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
chapelhillduck
Senior

Re: Mario Cristobal 41st best coach in country

Post by chapelhillduck »

I.... Have no clue as to what the ranking scheme is

They're giving a lot of weight to Mario's previous job in Florida when for others they don't seem to be doing that (e.g Sumlin at 40)

I just don't get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Mario Cristobal 41st best coach among power 5 conference

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I don't take much offense, the rankings of these experts aren't worth much more than an average opinion. Including Cristobal's FIU record is like comparing apples to rocks.

I'm kind of surprised people are so high on Matt Rhule, he's 8-17 in two years as a P-5 head coach. He took over a bad situation, etc but this is also a program that was netting double digit win seasons before scandals. Bronco Mendenhall is just outside the top-25 while being 16-22 at UVA. Neal Brown is 36th, and has never coached a P-5 team.

We don't even know enough about Cristobal yet. We know he's an elite recruiter and surrounds himself with the same, we know he's very well liked by his players. But he got a 9 win season mostly from Helf's recruits. This upcoming season will show us a lot more, and if we live up to expectations he will skyrocket up this arbitrary list.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I don't take much offense, the rankings of these experts aren't worth much more than an average opinion. Including Cristobal's FIU record is like comparing apples to rocks.

I'm kind of surprised people are so high on Matt Rhule, he's 8-17 in two years as a P-5 head coach. He took over a bad situation, etc but this is also a program that was netting double digit win seasons before scandals. Bronco Mendenhall is just outside the top-25 while being 16-22 at UVA. Neal Brown is 36th, and has never coached a P-5 team.

We don't even know enough about Cristobal yet. We know he's an elite recruiter and surrounds himself with the same, we know he's very well liked by his players. But he got a 9 win season mostly from Helf's recruits. This upcoming season will show us a lot more, and if we live up to expectations he will skyrocket up this arbitrary list.
Kinda how i feel. If its based on recruiting, staff he's top 5. But coaching has not been
established yet. One year is not fair to grade yet. Maybe year 2 will be more of a example.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I don't take much offense, the rankings of these experts aren't worth much more than an average opinion. Including Cristobal's FIU record is like comparing apples to rocks.

I think him winning 9 games (shoulda/coulda been 10) with Hell’s recruits points to him as being a good, better than average coach with a very high ceiling. Helf would of been lucky to win 7 games with those same recruits. Considering he met or exceeded most reasonable expectations last year of 7-9 wins and did so with an offense that was severely limited because an absence of reliable WR’s who could barely get open and when they did only one was consistent catching the ball. IMO, only he would could of started or been in the two deep of half the P5 teams and the rest are irrelevant as to do with WR production last year. I don’t care if you are Alabama or Clemson playing against an above average run D (Stanford, Wash, Utah, Mich. State), if you become one dimensional and you don’t/can’t run your QB to at least attempt to give the D something else to worry about your O is going to be inconsistent and vanilla. If they don’t have an above average D (the bark rats), then you get blowouts and 500yrds rushing, and fans start asking why can’t we do that every game.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Sample size too small and obvious bias in the article too big. Move along
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Probably pretty fair. I think we'll probably have a 9-3 type season this year. 2020 without Herbert and Greatwood's OL is when we'll know.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

If the ducks do not win the Pac 12 this year, will his stock plummet, or recruits not be drinking the kool aid? I am not sure how the recruits would look at a veteran offensive line with senior qb not winning the Pac 12. I would think they might question his ability to win the big games. Just a guess on my part. If that is the case, then is a lot of pressure on him and on the team to perform this year.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

GrantDuck wrote:Probably pretty fair. I think we'll probably have a 9-3 type season this year. 2020 without Herbert and Greatwood's OL is when we'll know.
The 2017 class was mostly recruited by Helfrich, Taggart only added a few guys. The 2018 class was raided and picked apart by FSU at the last minute. The 2020 team will be comprised of:

2020 Cristobal
2019 Cristobal
2018 Taggart (class fell apart when he left)
2017 Helfrich (a few Taggart players, notably Scott if he doesn't leave early)
2016 Helfrich (redshirt seniors)

Cristobal won't have a team comprised of players that he recruited until 2022. And even that team will have redshirt seniors from the last Taggart class.

I'm not even disagreeing that we'll have a pretty good idea of what we'll get out of Cristobal in 2020. But it's pretty clear that Cristobal's greatest strength so far has been recruiting and that this team is still suffering from a depleted talent level from the coaching turmoil / Helfrich era.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If the ducks do not win the Pac 12 this year, will his stock plummet, or recruits not be drinking the kool aid?
He's got three years from now to do something special.

Cristo will be rolling this season with Helf's QB and just one of his complete classes -- and many of those guys will sit. He won't truly be "on the clock" in the eyes of recruits until his recruits are actually playing.

After this year, he'll be rolling out with his own QB and many more of his players up and down the roster. That's when the heat really gets turned up in terms of whether he's truly the right man for the job.

That said -- this season is a bit of a golden ticket. Win the Pac-12, and he'll get a pass if the post-Herbert era doesn't start off with a bang.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

It’s all subjective. I bet Helf made top 15 in 2014 just cause of Mariota
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:If the ducks do not win the Pac 12 this year, will his stock plummet, or recruits not be drinking the kool aid? I am not sure how the recruits would look at a veteran offensive line with senior qb not winning the Pac 12. I would think they might question his ability to win the big games. Just a guess on my part. If that is the case, then is a lot of pressure on him and on the team to perform this year.
At this point I'm less worried about the big games and more worried about losing in embarrassing fashion to crap teams like 2018 Arizona.

We also need to stop getting outcoached by Leach every friggin' year since Chip left.

We were actually pretty good in "big games" last year(UW, Furd, bowl game).
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

GrantDuck wrote:Probably pretty fair. I think we'll probably have a 9-3 type season this year. 2020 without Herbert and Greatwood's OL is when we'll know.
Agree to disagree
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:If the ducks do not win the Pac 12 this year, will his stock plummet, or recruits not be drinking the kool aid? I am not sure how the recruits would look at a veteran offensive line with senior qb not winning the Pac 12. I would think they might question his ability to win the big games. Just a guess on my part. If that is the case, then is a lot of pressure on him and on the team to perform this year.
At this point I'm less worried about the big games and more worried about losing in embarrassing fashion to crap teams like 2018 Arizona.

We also need to stop getting outcoached by Leach every friggin' year since Chip left.

We were actually pretty good in "big games" last year(UW, Furd, bowl game).

I was at the WSU game in Seattle when Chip had MM8, Leach outcoached him that day also. He just had no talent, and we blew them away in the 2nd half.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think as long as we keep stockpiling talent we will be fine. Bama's offense from 08-2017 was very vanilla, but it didn't matter because they had far superior athletes.

In the games against inferior opponents last year (sans Arizona) we scored just fine.