A little too early, which coaches leave this off season?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

A little too early, which coaches leave this off season?

Post by Alan »

Any thoughts on coaches Ducks may lose this off season, moves are starting to happen with Head Coaches, slick Willie slipped and...well we know. Do the Ducks have any coaches you feel stand a chance of getting poached or released? Which coaches should they try to keep even at a big financial cost, which ones not so much?

Keep!
Mario
Big Joe
Avalos
Feld

Another year either too early for complete evaluation or hopefully turning the corner
Arroyo
Bouknight

Who may be gone?
Wildcat-Duck
One Star Recruit

Re: A little too early, which coaches leave this off season?

Post by Wildcat-Duck »

Alan wrote:Any thoughts on coaches Ducks may lose this off season, moves are starting to happen with Head Coaches, slick Willie slipped and...well we know. Do the Ducks have any coaches you feel stand a chance of getting poached or released? Which coaches should they try to keep even at a big financial cost, which ones not so much?

Keep!
Mario
Big Joe
Avalos
Feld

Another year either too early for complete evaluation or hopefully turning the corner
Arroyo
Bouknight

Who may be gone?
Coach Cristobal has recently called Mastro one of the best running backs coaches in the nation. That is a ringing endorsement. Bouknight appears to be a big upgrade from Johnson. Hayward and Williams appear to be doing great jobs. Arroyo seems to have made a big jump in game planning and play calling.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I don't see anyone leaving unless it's for a promotion or because CMC thinks we can get someone better here.

I think some candidates fro promotion are naturally the coordinators and I bet Heyward gets some interest as a DC.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Isn't one of our defensive coaches reportedly not recruiting anymore? Seems like he will certainly be moving on after the season.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

karlhungis wrote:Isn't one of our defensive coaches reportedly not recruiting anymore? Seems like he will certainly be moving on after the season.
care to elaborate on this? Who is the coach?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

lmduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:Isn't one of our defensive coaches reportedly not recruiting anymore? Seems like he will certainly be moving on after the season.
It was referenced in one of QB11's game breakdowns this season. I honestly can't remember which coach.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

If I'm Arizona, I'd throw as much of my resources at Keith Heyward as I could. They need a top flight recruiter on that side of the ball.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

My gut tells me we could do better than Arroyo, but our offense has also improved enough to warrant giving him another year. I'm beginning to buy into the argument that his biggest problem might simply be that we don't have a spectacular running back on the roster.

Plus, I'm sure there are continuity benefits in terms of recruiting and program stability that we'd be giving up by replacing him.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I doubt anyone leaves unless it's for a promotion/bigger money.

I have to agree with STU that Keith Heyward is probably the likeliest to get poached with a DC position. I don't know if he goes to Arizona specifically, that would be a risky move since Sumlin is probably a year away from getting canned. Heyward (and maybe Williams) have shown themselves to be elite coaches, and both are certainly proven recruiters. Maybe whoever USC hires will want Heyward, in which case he's probably gone.

I say throw as much money as possible to Heyward if someone tries to hire him away. Give him a fancier title and match the money, tell him DC is his once Avalos is gone, whatever it takes.

There's not really a coach I'm too disappointed with. I was mad at Arroyo after last year and the Auburn game, but we're 12th in scoring and our offense isn't as bland as it used to be. Mastro's guys aren't what we're used to with Campbell, but maybe it's a talent issue. Big Joe's guys are playing really well, although we've criticized his recruiting he helps with Poly guys outside his position group. We've had a better return game this year, and I don't know if we can blame Bobby Williams for Camden Lewis performing so incredibly poorly. Bouknight is brand new and our WRs have clearly improved from Johnson's "coaching" thing he pretended to do. Avalos and Wilson have been great additions. Mirabal is obviously here to stay.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:If I'm Arizona, I'd throw as much of my resources at Keith Heyward as I could. They need a top flight recruiter on that side of the ball.
Agree
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

karlhungis wrote:
lmduck wrote:
It was referenced in one of QB11's game breakdowns this season. I honestly can't remember which coach.
I looked through at our commits and each coach had at least 2 commits attributed to them.

If I had to guess, maybe Heyward as Donte Williams' name showed up more often than Heyward's & Heyward may be disappointed in not getting the DC gig last year. Frankly, none of the other coaches really makes sense.

- Wilson - new and seems bought in
- Avalos - new and presumptuous to think he would get a legit HC offer after a few months to already have checked out
- Big Joe - seems to love Eugene and is loyal and main recruiter on a number of guys
- Williams - CBs are having a great year and he has more talent coming in behind Graham and Lenoir