The Need For QB Depth Next Year

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Re: The Need For QB Depth Next Year

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Could it be that when Herbert talked to MC about coming back he said "needs to be with limited QB running since I need to pay for Med School with my rookie contract and I don't want to get hurt"?
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Take out an insurance policy. If injured go straight to med school with most of your joints and brain cells intact. Average doctor makes north of $250,000. No student debt for JH, not a bad life.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

EncinitasDuck wrote:Could it be that when Herbert talked to MC about coming back he said "needs to be with limited QB running since I need to pay for Med School with my rookie contract and I don't want to get hurt"?
So you're saying Oregon has been playing a qb that's unwilling to play to his potential, and use all his tools? I don't think that's the case. Cristobal doesn't strike as the type to play a guy like that
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Not sure who was dictating it....but Herbert clearly did not run much this year.

It made everything harder on offence, and arguably lost Oregon an extra game (or two), not to mention a chance to play in the playoff. That will be my memory from this season.....Oregon played it safe to 10 win season, but chose to forgo a 13 win season in the process...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

bigsugarduck wrote:Not sure who was dictating it....but Herbert clearly did not run much this year.

It made everything harder on offence, and arguably lost Oregon an extra game (or two), not to mention a chance to play in the playoff. That will be my memory from this season.....Oregon played it safe to 10 win season, but chose to forgo a 13 win season in the process...
This!
Could not have been said better!
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Couldn't the argument be made that not playing is safe (broken collarbone) cost Oregon 3 or 4 losses in 2017? What would the overall record be if JH had missed 4 games in the middle of the season?
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

squintsdd wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:Could it be that when Herbert talked to MC about coming back he said "needs to be with limited QB running since I need to pay for Med School with my rookie contract and I don't want to get hurt"?
So you're saying Oregon has been playing a qb that's unwilling to play to his potential, and use all his tools? I don't think that's the case. Cristobal doesn't strike as the type to play a guy like that
I didn't say it was so, I simply asked a hypothetical question
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

EncinitasDuck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
I really hope that Herbert and CMC had a pre-arranged deal to not run him or call qb run plays this year or it was CMC or Arroyo who decided not to run Herbert much in fear of injury. Because if there were no plans like that, then it means that CMC and/or Arroyo have changed the playbook to an offense that doesn't run the QB and they are blindly not using one of Herberts assets, his running ability. If that is the case, then I do not have much faith in the offense to reach the team's national championship aspirations.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

alxtw wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
I really hope that Herbert and CMC had a pre-arranged deal to not run him or call qb run plays this year or it was CMC or Arroyo who decided not to run Herbert much in fear of injury. Because if there were no plans like that, then it means that CMC and/or Arroyo have changed the playbook to an offense that doesn't run the QB and they are blindly not using one of Herberts assets, his running ability. If that is the case, then I do not have much faith in the offense to reach the team's national championship aspirations.
The fact that they targeted Shough and Butterfield would lead one to think that QB running is a low low priority to their future offensive plans. Even Millen is a Pro-style QB who just happens to be more mobile than the other two.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
alxtw wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
The fact that they targeted Shough and Butterfield would lead one to think that QB running is a low low priority to their future offensive plans. Even Millen is a Pro-style QB who just happens to be more mobile than the other two.
I think you hit the nail on the head. If QB runs were part of the offensive philosophy we wouldn't be recruiting pocket passers. They want a guy with arm talent first, and the ability to scramble or an occasional run is secondary.