Where’s a statement from Mario?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Where’s a statement from Mario?

Post by Duck07 »

ducks5ever wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
When I suggest that someone like say Luke Fickell wouldn't be a good culture fit in LA its because he's Catholic and has lived in Ohio pretty much his whole life and it has nothing to do with the football side of things but more about how well does he and his family really like living/working in that region and connect to it? Maybe he's itching to get out and kneecap the new Big 12 in the process.

Tuscaloosa and Eugene as small cities have quite a bit in common and personally I think the "end-game" for a HC that has no NFL aspirations is that you can end up at a place where you have:
Facilities: A+
Recruiting Advantage: A- [N/A - recruiting "advantage" is really based on how many games you can win - it has a lot less to do with physical location. As far as playing close to home, I wouldn't call the PNW a hotbed for D1 cfb talent]
Coaching Pay: B [CFB coaches are paid well (CMC included), but I wouldn't call his comp A. I think it barely makes the top 25 nationally and he's leading a top 10 program so....]
Asst Coaching Pay: A
ADept: A+
Alumni Support: A+
Fan Support: A
Long-Term Stability: A [as long as you keep winning]

The only advantage to USC is that his recruiting advantage would go up by virtue of being in a national hot-spot for talent but our recruiting is national and he gets as much support in that regard as he can. There is no facilities advantage, pay would likely be moot and its unsure if SC would pay as much for Assistants as we are. The AD is getting better for them but Rob is the class of the West Coast. Fan Support and Long-term stability at USC come with a higher burden than in Eugene as well.
Fyi I'm not sure how this NIL stuff works. I would imagine that there's more $$ in general in LA to throw at college athletes who are really hitting their stride. If Reggie Bush played at USC today, I would imagine he could make seven figures. Can he do that in Eugene? idk. If USC could fix up its brand, I would imagine there is a ton of NIL $$ that could flow to the athletes. Then again, other quiet college towns like Tuscaloosa and wherever Clemson is, are finding ways to compete on this new playing field.

Even if USC had an NIL advantage, I doubt CMC would go there just for that. I am interested in seeing how some of the D1 teams in major cities (Miami Hurricanes, USC/UCLA, UC Berkeley, Georgia, LSU, and maybe UT [Austin]) perform recruiting wise with NIL in effect. Maybe Northwestern can be added to but not many people in Chicago really follow them.... perhaps the same could be said for USC/UCLA but the money is still there.
I'm sorry, describing recruiting advantages as how many games you can win is inane. Oregon is a national recruiter and yes, Mario is the reason for that because past coaches bought into the lie that you can't recruit to Eugene with all of our facility advantages. Our consistently high ranked classes show that yes, Oregon is a top recruiter for talent. Would it be easier in LA, yes but the lack of local talent in Oregon isn't hurting the Ducks recruiting and all of that local talent has made USC a ranked program in over a decade.

As far as Mario's pay goes, from Day 1 he's advocated for having a higher Assistant pool of pay and every year he's gotten raises and extensions. Mario going to USC sounds really dumb for a lot of reasons, the least of which for USC is that if he's willing to leave Oregon then he'd leave USC someday too.

I also think it would make him a worse snake than Willie Taggart. Mario is the HC at Oregon because the players advocated for him. You go make a move to USC where you have ZERO connections and for at best equal pay and you'll come off as a snake.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Where’s a statement from Mario?

Post by buckmarkduck »

And add to the fact UO is paying Mario more per year before any incentive are hit, than what SC was paying Clay. Is SC really going to pay a coach 7 million a year? That’s the minimum I believe it would take to even make Mario think twice about that job. If he makes the playoffs, he would make 6.5 this year, and Oregon isn’t threatening to take an extra 16.5% from him for making to much. Like California keeps trying to get passed.