Transfer Portal - '21-22

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Transfer Portal - '21-22

Post by greenyellow »

hslack wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Sooner or later, Oregon has to trust its own QB recruits to play, otherwise top QB recruits are going to be apprehensive about what they do with the position.
Based on seeing Oklahoma do it 3x, Ohio State and Michigan do it, I have to say this is a false narrative. Also, remember when there was a narrative that Oregon couldn't recruit QBs because they kept getting guys like Mariota who were entrenched as starters so high school recruits wouldn't want to come?

So again, why are we so apprehensive about taking the best talent available when that talent is in the transfer portal?
The only team that won a national championship out of that was OSU with Fields who was a rare prospect, all of the guys available now it feels like we would be settling for as opposed to trusting guys with 1-2 years under their belt
OSU didn't win a title with Fields as they lost in the NCG to Alabama last season.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

for all those who don't want 3 star high school kids, remember who our Heisman winner was.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Quietduck wrote:for all those who don't want 3 star high school kids, remember who our Heisman winner was.
If you’re referring to my comment I’m not saying don’t take 3 star kids, but that IF Mario is overly focused on recruiting rankings why then would he take 3 stars so early in the recruiting cycle.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Would Bassa be here if we went after more transfers?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The Brown/To'oto'o examples are happenstance, not strategy. There's a difference between sitting at 84 scholarships and recruiting someone who enters the portal late and choosing to sign 20 instead of 25 recruits so you can recruit 5 immediate contributors from the transfer market.

I don't see why you wouldn't elevate your standards for high school recruits a little bit, opt to sign 22 instead of 25 on a regular basis, and keep three spots open for impact transfers and walk-ons earning scholarships.

Regarding Cristobal's early offer strategy, I really don't know. It definitely matches with the norms of recruiting in the deep south. The calendar for recruiting 3-4* in the south is almost a full year ahead of similarly-regarded recruits on the west coast.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Jake Haener is officially in the transfer portal, but he is probably not Our Kind of Transfer (OKT).
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

northbeachsf wrote:Jake Haener is officially in the transfer portal, but he is probably not Our Kind of Transfer (OKT).
Sounds like he and Jalen Cropper are going to Washington.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Jake Haener is officially in the transfer portal, but he is probably not Our Kind of Transfer (OKT).
Sounds like he and Jalen Cropper are going to Washington.
That is not awesome for us, but pretty funny if he goes back there and takes the starting job.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Didn't Haener start his career at UW?
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Didn't Haener start his career at UW?
He did, they started Morris (I think that’s who it was) so he transferred to Fresno
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

He will be drafted so why the hell would he return to Malamute country?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:Didn't Haener start his career at UW?
He did, they started Morris (I think that’s who it was) so he transferred to Fresno
Jacob Eason, not Morris.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

rockthief wrote:He will be drafted so why the hell would he return to Malamute country?
He can say that he always liked it there but he didnt like the previous coaches and that continuity is the best thing for his pro career.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

So here's a question:

Now that JM is leaving, is there an OC candidate out there who would bring an elite QB recruit/transfer with him?

Two birds with one stone.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:So here's a question:

Now that JM is leaving, is there an OC candidate out there who would bring an elite QB recruit/transfer with him?

Two birds with one stone.
Had this same thought. I wonder too if just bringing in a big name guy like Mullens would lure a QB in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk