Oregon Legislature

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Re: Oregon Legislature

Post by freedjr »

woundedknees wrote:I will admit that I have been passed over once for a job I desperately needed due to race... And I am white.

Had the guy who got the position been even close to my equal in experience, training, or any one of several factors other than race, I would have forgotten it years ago.

I got over it a long time ago, as I obtained a better position, elsewhere. I have to admit though, that it opened my eyes to how frustrating (And unfair) it would feel if that were the 'norm' for myself.
That absolutely sucks. I've also been passed over for a job because of my race (I'm black) and it can really happen to anyone nowadays. Reverse discrimination is just as bad.

I think the main point of the law is just to give more minorities a foot in the door, not to force hiring of more minorities. We all know the stats about how many minority head coaches there are compared to how many minority players there are, but I think a more telling stat would be how many are even interviewed and have a shot. And I have no idea what that stat is.

It absolutely sucks that a law like this has to be considered, but like it or not, racism (against all races) does happen at all levels.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Not being a minority myself I can't say how they feel about this but I can tell you how I would feel. Basically I would think the main reason I was even getting an interview is because they have to, that to me would be more of a slap in the face than make me feel like yeah I'm getting some looks for HC and hopefully I can land a HC job soon. Will it lead to some more minority hiring, I personally don't think so but maybe. Look in the case of CK getting the HC in waiting basically every coach on the Oregon staff white, black or whatever, is getting a on the job interview everyday in practice and during games but MB felt CK was the best of the bunch.

If Campbell or Aliotti (who BTW is a best friend of MB) would have been the best he would have gotten it and there is no denying that coach Campbell is a hell of a RB coach, just at this time he isn't HC material for the UO and neither are 90% of coaches around the country white or minority. It's not like UO, OSU or PSU don't have minority head coaches, so to force a Oregon U. to interview one seems kinda like preaching to the choir so to speak.

This might be a needed rule in say Alabama or Tenn but most out west are more open minded and I don't think anyone in Oregon would be upset with a minority HC if there was one around the country who was a better fit for UO than CK. Fact is there isn't, for what we are doing here he is the perfect hire outside of say Urban Myer but he isn't coming anytime soon. :lol:
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I used to coach and judge something called, "Odyssey of the Mind", creative problem solving competitions.

Some of the greatest lessons the kids I worked with was learned from observing the different ways people are treated aorund this country during our travels.

We once participated in the 'World Finals' of OM, and travelled to Knoxville, Tennessee. We actually stayed on the UT campus, in dormitories. Those middle school kids from Oregon were apalled when they realized that nearly all supervisory positions in most of the businesses we patronized, as well as those on campus, were held by white guys... The majority of the lower level jobs were held by person's of color, and the treatment of many of these workers was enough to leave the kids speechless. It had a profound impact on how they deal with other people to this day.

Laws like the proposed action by the Oregon Legislature are made necessary by the actions of people some of us never notice.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Its just not good policy for our State to be considering such legislation, in addition to the fact that it is a total waste of time for them to be doing so...
Race considerations have no place in the matter of interviewing and/or hiring of coaches..
We have 2 Pac 10 football coaching positions in the State. Both are currently filled by two white men...Big deal...
We have 2 Pac 10 basketball coaching positions in the State. Both are currently filled by two black men...Big deal...
I dont see that we have a problem in this State....I dont see the need for spending time on even discussing such legislation, or worse yet, even putting it up for a vote...
Our State legislators have always seemed to find a way to dwell on these minor "issues" but never seem to find the time to address and try to solve the important issues....(i.e. balancing the budget, financing schools, improving safety and security for all of the States citizenry, improving health care benefits, lessening homelessness, etc....etc...etc...the list goes on and on).
No, instead, lets hash over crap legislation like this....
Give me a break...
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

Zenitram wrote:They should require schools to allow at least one white runningback prospect to visit too.

That's funny!

But I for one think this has no reason to be in the Oregon legislature. I think REQUIRING schools to interview a minority just follows the ongoing thought that people are different based on their race. Why don't they just say interview at least one white, black, latino, asian, middle eastern, eskimo, man, woman... then it would be fair, right? I say if a school wants to be racist, let 'em be racist. It's our choice if we want to attend, root for, or acknowledge that school in any way. Like I said before, if a school with a white president and AD is hiring a new coach, and the best coach is black, and they hire some white guy just because, then they deserve the white guy.
GO DUCKS!
goducks75
Four Star Recruit

Post by goducks75 »

Zenitram wrote:They should require schools to allow at least one white runningback prospect to visit too.
at least stanford followed suit with gerhart :lol:
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Silly rule.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

stewbertwilloughby wrote:I think REQUIRING schools to interview a minority just follows the ongoing thought that people are different based on their race.
Good point.

Laws like this only draw attention to the difference between races instead of trying to level the playing field. If a school hires a HC that is less qualified simply because the more qualified man wasn't white, then they will lose, and they will deserve to lose.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

Oregon Live had a poll up a few days ago that asked:

"Is a law necessary that would require Oregon universities to interview a minority candidate for a football head coaching position?"

89% no
11% yes

Take it with a grain of salt as I can only assume that most of the voters were/are white (oregon's population is 90% white)... but it gives you an idea of what the people of the state think....

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootba ... _scho.html

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

WOW! what a big surprise that is coming from the Oregon legislature. :roll:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine