Fiesta Bowl: #8 Oregon v #23 Liberty (Jan 1, Mon 10 AM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Fiesta Bowl: #8 Oregon v #23 Liberty (Jan 1, Mon 10 AM ESPN)

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks get to face the top G5 team. Yay. /s
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Fiesta Bowl: #8 Oregon v #23 Liberty (Jan 1, Mon 10 AM E

Post by Phalanx »

It's really a great move by the CFB gatekeepers. Oregon players are guaranteed to find every excuse to bag out of the game. Dan Lanning's great motivational speeches are completely negated. No opportunity for the Ducks to re-enter any kind of national conversation this year, after losing by a field goal for the playoffs. Heck, Oregon might even lose the game, which could affect recruiting as well. Ooh, if we are really lucky, Lanning might look at the lay of the land and realize the grass isn't as green as he thought. I imagine somewhere in a smoke-filled room a bunch of CFB blue blood administrators slapping each other on the back as they watch the deconstruction of Oregon's season unfold.

The Big 10 can't come soon enough.
Last edited by Phalanx on Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by canaduck »

The Ducks have no reason to re-enter the national conversation this year, but this matchup indeed is the worst with absolutely zero upside for us.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

canaduck wrote:The Ducks have no reason to re-enter the national conversation this year, but this matchup indeed is the worst with absolutely zero upside for us.
Oregon vs. Ohio State would have been a top-profile game that would have rivaled even the playoffs for viewership.
DuckBomb2
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckBomb2 »

Liberty? WTH ...
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

At least Ty is gonna make his first start in his hometown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Whats really difficult to see is the work of the whole season's reward is a game vs Liberty. Ruined by two losses of 3 pts each. Painful because this was such a good team.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Does any Duck fan ever spend thousands of dollars to make the trip for this one? The "Who Cares" bowl. Viewers, no one.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Phalanx wrote:It's really a great move by the CFB gatekeepers. Oregon players are guaranteed to find every excuse to bag out of the game. Dan Lanning's great motivational speeches are completely negated. No opportunity for the Ducks to re-enter any kind of national conversation this year, after losing by a field goal for the playoffs. Heck, Oregon might even lose the game, which could affect recruiting as well. Ooh, if we are really lucky, Lanning might look at the lay of the land and realize the grass isn't as green as he thought. I imagine somewhere in a smoke-filled room a bunch of CFB blue blood administrators slapping each other on the back as they watch the deconstruction of Oregon's season unfold.

The Big 10 can't come soon enough.
Losing the game won’t have any affect on recruiting. For starters, most of the class, if not all, will be signed before the game. By the time recruiting ramps up for next year’s class, the game will be completely forgotten about. When I say these Bowl games don’t mean anything, that’s my main point. It doesn’t impact a school’s outlook at all. Sure, it’s a nice bow for the players on the team, but won’t impact the team’s trajectory, because everyone takes the results with a grain of salt with all the opt outs and transfers that happen beforehand.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m excited but I’m always excited for the ducks, but sadly no matter what happens this season will be remember by the Ducks choking against the hated Huskies not once but twice. If Oregon wanted a better bowl matchup they only have themselves to blame.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Ducks open 15 1/2 point favorites. Of course that could all change dramatically with sit outs and transfers...

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2023/1 ... ll-playoff
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m excited but I’m always excited for the ducks, but sadly no matter what happens this season will be remember by the Ducks choking against the hated Huskies not once but twice. If Oregon wanted a better bowl matchup they only have themselves to blame.
I dunno. When we were curb stomping Washington with Mariota it wasn't that they were that bad, it was we were that good. Kinda the same thing. We don't have to like it but Penix is a game changer, he's the real deal. He's going to be playing on Sundays next year.

I don't think we choked, I think they are just the better team.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Boring matchup.
No way to win. You win, you were supposed to.
You lose, it becomes the narrative for next year.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

QuackininBama wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m excited but I’m always excited for the ducks, but sadly no matter what happens this season will be remember by the Ducks choking against the hated Huskies not once but twice. If Oregon wanted a better bowl matchup they only have themselves to blame.
I dunno. When we were curb stomping Washington with Mariota it wasn't that they were that bad, it was we were that good. Kinda the same thing. We don't have to like it but Penix is a game changer, he's the real deal. He's going to be playing on Sundays next year.

Oregon offense 100% chocked, get inferior teams are the Huskies secondary alive all season long but both Will and Bo get nervous and really timid. Oregon’s second play of the game had Franklin and Holden wide open for at least a big game, possibly a TD, and that alone drastically changes the game but Bo threw a terrible pass, the stage was too big for him. Huskies are great, not being a homer, but the offense absolutely did not play near as well as they should both times.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

QuackininBama wrote:

This^^^^
John 3:36