Greatwood talks about his firing

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

fairweatherfowl
One Star Recruit

Greatwood talks about his firing

Post by fairweatherfowl »

An article in the Register-Guard this morning with Steve Greatwood, talking about his firing and hiring by Justin Wilcox at Cal.

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3518 ... s.html.csp

No interaction with the new staff.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Greatwood talks about his firing

Post by Phenom »

"He’s a no-B.S. guy. He’s not into gimmicks or promoting himself."

Not good for recruiting.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phenom wrote:"He’s a no-B.S. guy. He’s not into gimmicks or promoting himself."

Not good for recruiting.
In this day and age, I think this is turning out to be true on the recruiting trail. You just have to look at how excited recruits are to meet Taggart and his staff versus Helf and his staff.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

What's funny is I just recently saw a tweet from him about being out and about recruiting, very similar to how our new staff tweets, and this is something I've never seen from Greatwood before.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

duck541 wrote:What's funny is I just recently saw a tweet from him about being out and about recruiting, very similar to how our new staff tweets, and this is something I've never seen from Greatwood before.
Maybe his twitter is controlled by CAL recruiting interns? :D
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

scoducks wrote:
duck541 wrote:What's funny is I just recently saw a tweet from him about being out and about recruiting, very similar to how our new staff tweets, and this is something I've never seen from Greatwood before.
Maybe his twitter is controlled by CAL recruiting interns? :D
Oh, it definitely is.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

It's kinda weird how much a silly little thing like twitter seems to matter to people. And I don't mean that in an old man kind of way. I mean, all you have to do is quote something vaguely inspirational in the morning. Take a pic with a couple recruits, post them. Tell everybody where you're headed next, post. Takes like 3 total minutes, and you can say whatever the hell you want. "Looks like a two Pepsi day. Love my ducks!" emoji, 100 percent, send. It's comically stupid, but people love it. Talk about tweets like they're the number 1 requirement for the job of major college football coach. I know, I know, high school kids love it. But the fans are way worse. Even the recruits be like, "damn, these fans get all cray cray about some stupid tweet."

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing twitter fans or anybody else personally. Society works in mysterious ways, what you going to do? But don't y'all ever stand back and kind of marvel at it all? I mean, our new President passes the time at night looking for people to argue with on twitter. It's kind of unbelievable.
Last edited by Groundswell on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

ifuwant2 wrote:It's kinda weird how much a silly little thing like twitter seems to matter to people. And I don't mean that in an old man kind of way. I mean, all you have to do is quote something vaguely inspirational in the morning. Take a pic with a couple recruits, post them. Tell everybody where you're headed next, post. Takes like 3 total minutes, and you can say whatever the hell you want. "Looks like a two Pepsi day. Love my ducks!" emoji, 100 percent, send. It's comically stupid, but people love it. Talk about tweets like they're the number 1 requirement for the job of major college football coach. I know, I know, high school kids love it. But the fans are way worse. Even the recruits be like, "damn, these fans get all cray cray about some stupid tweet."

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing twitter fans or anybody else personally. Society, what you going to do? But don't y'all ever stand back and kind of marvel at it all? I mean, our new President passes the time at night looking for people to argue with on twitter. It's kind of unbelievable.

I am with you to be honest. I do not have twitter or listened to rap since boys in the hood. Also fairly certain I could not relate to 17 year olds like the current staff so I guess I am buckling up and just riding the taggart bus.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

huckthefuskies wrote: I am with you to be honest. I do not have twitter or listened to rap since boys in the hood. Also fairly certain I could not relate to 17 year olds like the current staff so I guess I am buckling up and just riding the taggart bus.
Not even pointing towards Coach T because all coaches are required to use social media. But it really is something that literally takes 3 minutes of your day. If I'm a coach, I'd be like, yeah, this is stupid, but people love it, and I can get on with my day. "Love my Ducks. We're getting 'er done!" Send. And if coaches don't do it, people demand they be held accountable. But it's all just marketing. It's like people get mad if they don't get their propaganda and marketing for the day. And, of course, it's not just football coaches. It's all across society. Right now, tweets are the most valuable social capital people have for exchange. Nothing is true unless it happens on Twitter.

And I'm really not get off my lawning here. Twitter is fine by me. We sold our souls to technology long ago. I don't blame teenagers or millennials. We bought and sold this world to them. It's our bed to lie in. I say the kids are alright. It's us old fogies that's got issues. Hell, even our 70 year old President is a twitter junkie. And in the website and technology world, studies are done to see what makes humans click on something. It's like rat experiments. They try to find what we can be addicted to, and then feed it to us. It's dopamine hits that come from the small satisfaction of clicking on something stimulating. They follow your every move just to get the data.

BTW, through my job and community service I spend quite a bit of time with teenagers. Some will even call me hip and cool on occasion. I grew up alongside technology and social media. Still blows my mind.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Kind of points out how culture affects things. Frost, Chinander, and Lubick are all also more active on social media now that they're at other schools. Helf was stuck in 2010 and wasn't evolving.
General Dripps
One Star Recruit

Post by General Dripps »

ifuwant2 wrote:
huckthefuskies wrote: I am with you to be honest. I do not have twitter or listened to rap since boys in the hood. Also fairly certain I could not relate to 17 year olds like the current staff so I guess I am buckling up and just riding the taggart bus.
Not even pointing towards Coach T because all coaches are required to use social media. But it really is something that literally takes 3 minutes of your day. If I'm a coach, I'd be like, yeah, this is stupid, but people love it, and I can get on with my day. "Love my Ducks. We're getting 'er done!" Send. And if coaches don't do it, people demand they be held accountable. But it's all just marketing. It's like people get mad if they don't get their propaganda and marketing for the day. And, of course, it's not just football coaches. It's all across society. Right now, tweets are the most valuable social capital people have for exchange. Nothing is true unless it happens on Twitter.

And I'm really not get off my lawning here. Twitter is fine by me. We sold our souls to technology long ago. I don't blame teenagers or millennials. We bought and sold this world to them. It's our bed to lie in. I say the kids are alright. It's us old fogies that's got issues. Hell, even our 70 year old President is a twitter junkie. And in the website and technology world, studies are done to see what makes humans click on something. It's like rat experiments. They try to find what we can be addicted to, and then feed it to us. It's dopamine hits that come from the small satisfaction of clicking on something stimulating. They follow your every move just to get the data.

BTW, through my job and community service I spend quite a bit of time with teenagers. Some will even call me hip and cool on occasion. I grew up alongside technology and social media. Still blows my mind.
As a millennial that does not participate in social media, but sees the power of it, and it's genesis, I agree with all of this. You are a highly intelligent and perceptive person, sir.
jhopduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by jhopduck »

A lot of us probably have one elements of our job we find stupid, but are required to do.

If you don't recruit well, you can't win. Twitter/instagram/facebook are all major forces in recruiting. It's just a fact.
Twitter: @JHopkins541

Email: duckterritoryjustin@gmail.com
PChung15
One Star Recruit

Post by PChung15 »

jhopduck wrote:A lot of us probably have one elements of our job we find stupid, but are required to do.

If you don't recruit well, you can't win. Twitter/instagram/facebook are all major forces in recruiting. It's just a fact.

Preach JHop, we sure know you are very familiar with this! Nice to see you back on the site