New Defense; Good article by coach Morris at Fishduck

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Re: New Defense; Good article by coach Morris at Fishduck

Post by Handsome Dan »

Right, that is true. I meant more that the offense dictates the course of the game, since they choose when the ball is snapped and where the ball goes. The defense can dictate how the offense operates, of course, but the offense is still in the position of agency.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

every defensive coach will have a scheme of some kind. Its within that scheme that they will taylor it
to what the other teams offensive tendecies are. May be moving the safeties up on run heavy teams
or adding a nickle back on passing teams and changing up the rush packages. Other than Clemson Alabama
did a great job during the season dictating what the offenses could do. Superior players help but they still
had a plan each and every game. Of course on the flip side offensive cordinators will have a good idea on
what the defense will do in most cases and run plays to exploit it. This is why we all love this game by watching
the chess match going on.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

Yes, I agree. I just thought the defense needed to be more flexible in terms of deviating from their preferred scheme than the offense because the offense has the major advantage of initiating play and being directly responsible for the movement of the ball.