Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workouts

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

chipkellysballs
Two Star Recruit

Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workouts

Post by chipkellysballs »

Players this week were required to finish the same workouts, which were described by multiple sources as akin to military basic training, with one including up to an hour of continuous push-ups and up-downs. The sources said that some players "passed out" and others later complained of discolored urine, which is a common symptom of rhabdomyolysis. After testing, others were found to have highly elevated levels of creatine kinase, an indicator of the syndrome.
Source: http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... pital.html

Damn these coaches are not messing around. Even if you are in shape an hour of push-ups and up-downs is no joke. Players hospitalized were offensive linemen Doug Brenner and Sam Poutasi and tight end Cam McCormick.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Re: Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workou

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Not a good look for the new S&C coach ...
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

DAMN! Not sure how to feel about this. On one had, I'm glad they're pushing them, on the other, the players' safety is paramount.
TheHypeIsReal
One Star Recruit

Post by TheHypeIsReal »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Not a good look for the new S&C coach ...
Rhabdo is no joke. The new coach is going to have to ramp thing up a bit more slowly.

On the other hand, I guess we know who has been skipping workouts. :mrgreen:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Not good at all, first and foremost I hope all three players are okay and make quick recoveries both physically and mentally. Second Willie has some explaining to do and some chewing to do on a coach, sounds like players did pass out recently and were still pushed too hard. recruits will not like this... "I want to play ball for you not go to ICU".
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Not a good look for the program.

You can't have trainers in the modern day and age that don't track this kind of thing. Incredibly unprofessional.

Edit: Seems reports are overblown. Good to see players OK.
Last edited by GrantDuck on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
autzenzoo
Three Star Recruit

Post by autzenzoo »

As Phenom said, the players' safety and health is paramount. But maybe this speaks more to the lack of leadership in the weight room and holding teammates accountable. I don't see how these workouts could produce such a reaction from collegiate level athletes, even if coming off of several weeks of Christmas vacation. As far as the "military basic training" style workouts(Army for 6 years and counting); if true, are hardly enough to cause this reaction to players of this(hopefully) physical caliber. Maybe a more accurate gauge of the players' current fitness level was needed before diving head first into such intense workouts. Here's to hoping the staff can implement a conditioning program that builds physically resilient players with high motors and no off switch!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I guess the pee charts in the locker rooms are gone.
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

Damn. Not a good look at all.

Pretty obvious some of our players need to be eased into training. Mullens and Taggart need to put in place more people in the weight room to make sure nothing horrible is going on. This can not happen again. Hopefully this is a one time thing.

However it does appear the article saying some of our players were not trying in workouts was right. They need to do a better job, but our coaches need to meet them halfway, especially to start out.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

Yeah this is pretty bad for PR for the program right now. Coach O should definitely have talked to Coach Rad about what they were doing before hand and eased them to it. Also with the seriousness of the issue, I think it is also extremely telling about how out of shape some of the players are. For example 345 pound supposedly Jordon Scott was known to be out of shape and it seems like he is going on fine as you can tell from this tweet here. Honestly it goes both ways. Coach O should have eased them into the workout, but it is also on the players if they were slacking off like the article earlier last week stated.
autzenzoo
Three Star Recruit

Post by autzenzoo »

Duck07 wrote:I guess the pee charts in the locker rooms are gone.
+1 :P
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

autzenzoo wrote:As Phenom said, the players' safety and health is paramount. But maybe this speaks more to the lack of leadership in the weight room and holding teammates accountable. I don't see how these workouts could produce such a reaction from collegiate level athletes, even if coming off of several weeks of Christmas vacation. As far as the "military basic training" style workouts(Army for 6 years and counting); if true, are hardly enough to cause this reaction to players of this(hopefully) physical caliber. Maybe a more accurate gauge of the players' current fitness level was needed before diving head first into such intense workouts. Here's to hoping the staff can implement a conditioning program that builds physically resilient players with high motors and no off switch!
From what I could find, Oderinde didn't have any issues like this at any of the other schools he's been at so I'm thinking that the players' fitness levels are nowhere near where they should be but also that maybe the new S&C team should have dialed down the intensity/tempo to acclimate them.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

If you were doing a percentage of the teams in that article whose players were injured, we are literally the lowest with 3 out of ~100. This seems less like an abusive coach at McMinnville and more like 3 players who weren't taking their training very seriously.

Mind you when Chip went to Philly, sports science had them Eagles peeing in a cup before practice and wearing GPS trackers to analyze how hard they were working individually. Guys would be given days off based on their output levels.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck07 wrote:If you were doing a percentage of the teams in that article whose players were injured, we are literally the lowest with 3 out of ~100. This seems less like an abusive coach at McMinnville and more like 3 players who weren't taking their training very seriously.

Mind you when Chip went to Philly, sports science had them Eagles peeing in a cup before practice and wearing GPS trackers to analyze how hard they were working individually. Guys would be given days off based on their output levels.
What is the percentage of readers now and in the future realizing that players involved were 3 out of 100 and may be due to taking it time off...during the holidays? This is not good and Willie will have to address the media, after a team of advisors write his response.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

This isn't good news, obviously.

However, I wouldn't wet the bed about recruiting implications. Any competitive player is going to think "Nah, that's not gonna be me, those guys were just out of shape. Bring it on".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk