Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workouts

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Re: Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workou

Post by Groundswell »

I don't think the workout was too hard. The mistake seems to be making the same players do the same workout for four straight days. Taxed the same parts of the bodies repeatedly.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The problem isn't the workouts being too hard. The problem is the players didn't stop when they should have, but that's largely on the coaches for either failing to monitor them and/or failing to properly convey/teach when they SHOULD stop.

This shouldn't be regarded as a giant scandal though... it's just one small rash.

Rhabdo is common though among people who do crossfit, which is all about high reps/continuous minutes of moderate-intensity exercises. It's an overuse/exhaustion condition. You don't need to do otherworldly workouts to fall victim to rhabdo -- it's more a result of incorrect training habits.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

ifuwant2 wrote:I don't think the workout was too hard. The mistake seems to be making the same players do the same workout for four straight days. Taxed the same parts of the bodies repeatedly.
Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

Has anyone heard a parents response?

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

ifuwant2 wrote:The talk seems to be that all the hospitalized dudes were in a group that was forced to do the same workout everyday four days in a row. Up downs from what it sounds like. Rhabdo does seem pretty serious. Kinase (sp?) is something all athletes can have elevated levels of. Sounds like the new coach made the same players keep doing the original workout until they completed it, but the couldn't. Not sure at all what to make of it. This is the first I've heard of Rhabdo, but reading about it I saw some stuff that said "athletes trying to do more than they are ready for". Basically, I wonder if the new coach has always done similar workouts, but our players weren't ready because the prior training was so different.

I take back what I said about the players being sawft. Up downs suck, and I wouldn't want to do them one hour at a time.
Rhabdo is called Crossfit disease, because people who pay to do Crossfit have been known to get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Writer down in Tampa had this to say about Oderinde:
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Joe Thomas of the Browns is going off on this right now. Calling for "whoever is behind this" to be fired. Couple thousand retweets and likes already. Oregonian's Andrew Greif was also on ESPN's OTL talking about it earlier.

Doesn't look like this story is going away anytime soon.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

duckduckgoose wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:The talk seems to be that all the hospitalized dudes were in a group that was forced to do the same workout everyday four days in a row. Up downs from what it sounds like. Rhabdo does seem pretty serious. Kinase (sp?) is something all athletes can have elevated levels of. Sounds like the new coach made the same players keep doing the original workout until they completed it, but the couldn't. Not sure at all what to make of it. This is the first I've heard of Rhabdo, but reading about it I saw some stuff that said "athletes trying to do more than they are ready for". Basically, I wonder if the new coach has always done similar workouts, but our players weren't ready because the prior training was so different.

I take back what I said about the players being sawft. Up downs suck, and I wouldn't want to do them one hour at a time.
Rhabdo is called Crossfit disease, because people who pay to do Crossfit have been known to get it.

Crossfit coaches are made well aware of Rhabdo and its signs and symptoms and who might be susceptible to it in a weekend class, for a D1 S&C coach to have 3 people suffer from it during a program is embarrassing.

The crossfit boards are having a field day with this. https://www.reddit.com/r/crossfit/comme ... l_players/
BOOF it!
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

This team is soft and undisciplined. You can blame the old coaching staff for this.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

I would love to know how many times "Rhabdo" has been entered into Google and WebMD in the past 24 hours. After listening to Grief on the Dan Patrick show its obvious that he is now an exercise physiologist having earned his degree from the Univ of WebMD.

I'm not taking this lightly, I just find it funny how quickly he put this article together having done his "research". I thought it was interesting that he didn't take the time to interview/quote one physician, physical therapist or true exercise physiologist.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I learned about Rhabdo while working out at an MMA gym a couple years ago (not doing any fighting, just doing the intense workouts). I got pretty exhausted after a couple workouts and just wanted to be sure I wasn't overdoing it. I was fine, but man... that s*** is real, and I could totally see how an impassioned young man might easily overdo it, especially if that kind of workout intensity is new to him.
This team is soft and undisciplined. You can blame the old coaching staff for this.
I tried making this clear earlier, but neither the old staff nor the players' conditions were the biggest factors here. Whether a person is diagnosed with rhabdo has extremely little to do with whether that person is in shape. It's more about exercising incorrectly by overdoing it relative to whatever kind of shape you're in.

Rhabdo is a problem among crossfit athletes not just among new people, but among crossfit veterans who simply get carried away with their workouts. It's simply a matter of overtraining. The strongest Duck on the football team could also get rhabdo under the right circumstances.

This is on the current coaches for failing to monitor/educate. It doesn't need to happen again though.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

snapt wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:

for a D1 S&C coach to have 3 people suffer from it during a program is embarrassing.

The crossfit boards are having a field day with this. https://www.reddit.com/r/crossfit/comme ... l_players/
It's not very encouraging about his capability to be a high level S&C coach. Hopefully it's a one time mistake and not a glimpse into his abilities( or lack there of).

There are crossfit boards? Didn't know that.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

The story made PTI. It was brought up during the Big Finish segment, FWIW. He said someone should be looking into the new coach taggert while laughing.

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:I learned about Rhabdo while working out at an MMA gym a couple years ago (not doing any fighting, just doing the intense workouts). I got pretty exhausted after a couple workouts and just wanted to be sure I wasn't overdoing it. I was fine, but man... that s*** is real, and I could totally see how an impassioned young man might easily overdo it, especially if that kind of workout intensity is new to him.
I tried making this clear earlier, but neither the old staff nor the players' conditions were the biggest factors here. Whether a person is diagnosed with rhabdo has extremely little to do with whether that person is in shape. It's more about exercising incorrectly by overdoing it relative to whatever kind of shape you're in.

Rhabdo is a problem among crossfit athletes not just among new people, but among crossfit veterans who simply get carried away with their workouts. It's simply a matter of overtraining. The strongest Duck on the football team could also get rhabdo under the right circumstances.

This is on the current coaches for failing to monitor/educate. It doesn't need to happen again though.
So you're saying that there are clear indications (visual or otherwise) that an athlete is approaching this condition, that a S&C coach or trainer should have been aware of and seen in these 3 athletes, that should have prompted the coach/trainer to make them stop the workout? Please elaborate. And if its the discolored urine then the player should have brought this up before continuing the program not after. Do we know whether the players did or didn't bring it up?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

duxforlyfe wrote:The story made PTI. It was brought up during the Big Finish segment, FWIW. He said someone should be looking into the new coach taggert while laughing.

PTI? Please clearify. I was also the lead story on ESPN College Football Live today, they spent 10 to 15 minutes on it. Angry voices and statement of "inexcusable" at first and by the end lightened up to "lessons learned".