Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

5$
Five Star Recruit

Re: Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Post by 5$ »

One time in my high school S&C class, I did an arm curl "burnout" seeing how many times I could arm curl the short 35 lbs bar with no added weight. I got to just over 100. For the next 3-4 days I spent in agony and I couldn't move my arms far from the 45-degree angle they were in. Straightening them burned, as well as putting any pressure by pulling. I dunno if it was Rhabdo or what. Fact is I never went to any doctor about it.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Alan wrote:
5$ wrote:Yikes, the players are probably on kidney dialysis. Hopefully the hospital stay helps their long-term recovery from anything permanent or long-lasting.
Dialysis!??? Quite the guess and rumor starter, :shock:
:roll:
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

5$ wrote:One time in my high school S&C class, I did an arm curl "burnout" seeing how many times I could arm curl the short 35 lbs bar with no added weight. I got to just over 100. For the next 3-4 days I spent in agony and I couldn't move my arms far from the 45-degree angle they were in. Straightening them burned, as well as putting any pressure by pulling. I dunno if it was Rhabdo or what. Fact is I never went to any doctor about it.
Can't tell if this is a serious post or straight troll effort. Leaning towards troll.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

5$ wrote:
Alan wrote:
5$ wrote:Yikes, the players are probably on kidney dialysis. Hopefully the hospital stay helps their long-term recovery from anything permanent or long-lasting.
You could have gone with "the other two might be in a coma".
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Alan wrote:
5$ wrote:
Alan wrote:
You could have gone with "the other two might be in a coma".
Per https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4056317/
"The authors investigated and restrospectively analyzed the incidence of myoglobin-induced AKI (serum creatinine >200 μmol/l) and the need for hemodialysis in 484 patients with suspected RM. The median peak myoglobin was 7,163 μg/l. The incidence of myoglobin-induced AKI was significantly higher (64.9%) in patients with a peak serum myoglobin >15,000 μg/l (P <0.01). Most of these patients needed treatment with hemodialysis (28%). Myoglobin levels >15,000 μg/l were most significantly related to the development of AKI and the need for hemodialysis. Based on these results, serum myoglobin was recommended as a valuable early predictor and marker of RM and myoglobinuric AKI"
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Duck24 wrote:
5$ wrote:One time in my high school S&C class, I did an arm curl "burnout" seeing how many times I could arm curl the short 35 lbs bar with no added weight. I got to just over 100. For the next 3-4 days I spent in agony and I couldn't move my arms far from the 45-degree angle they were in. Straightening them burned, as well as putting any pressure by pulling. I dunno if it was Rhabdo or what. Fact is I never went to any doctor about it.
Can't tell if this is a serious post or straight troll effort. Leaning towards troll.
You probably can't tell because you haven't been around these boards as long as I have. :lol:
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

5$ wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
You probably can't tell because you haven't been around these boards as long as I have. :lol:
Joined the same day guy did...
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Duck24 wrote:
5$ wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
Joined the same day guy did...
Actually you were a day later. And because it's that insignificant of a difference, is why I used the :lol: smiley.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

5$, I enjoy being on your side for a change.

Rhabdo is a big ****ing deal! The players should be fine because it sounds like they're getting early and aggressive treatment, but this isn't something as simple as dehydration or lactic acid buildup! Seriously, we're talking about dudes being on the line of kidney failure. This isn't a normal thing, and it's especially not something that should happen to three people at once. The entire crossfit industry would implode if rhabdo happened with this degree of regularity.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Duck24 wrote:
brich75 wrote:
maxduck wrote:What isn't getting mentioned is the length of hospitalization. Brenner has been released but McCormick and Poutasi were still there as of yesterday. Although I'm sure the University is being extremely cautious a 4-5 day hospital stay indicates fairly serious problems.
That does seem lengthy for most hospital trips. It does say however that when caught early you should return to normal in a "few weeks" so it seems like it's something they nurse back slowly. Also just a guess but they may be different levels of rhabdo. Maybe Brenner wasn't as depleted?
It's not an issue of any type of depletion. The muscles were so overworked, they started breaking down and proteins entering the bloodstream which is brutal on your kidneys. They have been given saline IV's and it's even possible blood transfusions as an attempt to 'dilute' the proteins and make it easier on the kidneys. The fact that they have been hospitalized for this long absolutely tells you how serious the issue can be. Birthing women spend less time in the hospital than these guys.

How do I know all of this? I had to piss on a testing stick to check the protein levels in my urine once a day for the first 13 years of my life due to kidney issues.
Fair enough but if there aren't different stages how is Brenner out and the other 2 still admitted?
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

brich75 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
brich75 wrote:
maxduck wrote:What isn't getting mentioned is the length of hospitalization. Brenner has been released but McCormick and Poutasi were still there as of yesterday. Although I'm sure the University is being extremely cautious a 4-5 day hospital stay indicates fairly serious problems.
That does seem lengthy for most hospital trips. It does say however that when caught early you should return to normal in a "few weeks" so it seems like it's something they nurse back slowly. Also just a guess but they may be different levels of rhabdo. Maybe Brenner wasn't as depleted?
It's not an issue of any type of depletion. The muscles were so overworked, they started breaking down and proteins entering the bloodstream which is brutal on your kidneys. They have been given saline IV's and it's even possible blood transfusions as an attempt to 'dilute' the proteins and make it easier on the kidneys. The fact that they have been hospitalized for this long absolutely tells you how serious the issue can be. Birthing women spend less time in the hospital than these guys.

How do I know all of this? I had to piss on a testing stick to check the protein levels in my urine once a day for the first 13 years of my life due to kidney issues.
Fair enough but if there aren't different stages how is Brenner out and the other 2 still admitted?
Differing levels of protein in their systems would be my guess.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

pezsez1 wrote:5$, I enjoy being on your side for a change.

Rhabdo is a big ****ing deal! The players should be fine because it sounds like they're getting early and aggressive treatment, but this isn't something as simple as dehydration or lactic acid buildup! Seriously, we're talking about dudes being on the line of kidney failure. This isn't a normal thing, and it's especially not something that should happen to three people at once. The entire crossfit industry would implode if rhabdo happened with this degree of regularity.

I'm slightly impressed that those 3 were able to push themselves to that level. I admit I have no idea if some people are more likely to get it do to genetic make up or anything like that. But I have been lifting and conditioning for going on 20years. I've pushed my self continuously to the brink of what I thought was death so many times. To my knowledge have never had rhabdo.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

This post is not meant to opine an exoneration the coaches, nor cast fault blame on the players, just to post some things that I found interesting from reading all the different "hot takes" on this over the last day and a half.

If you look at the reports and stories that are coming out of the HDC from players, staff and witnesses, it seems like this was duration/frequency injury vs. an intensity injury. Those are the the three variables of physical training 101. It wasn't that the players were asked to do outrageously intense exercises, but that the length of time they exercised over a certain period of days was what caused the injuries.

Now, take the above and go with what we've read about what Coach O's former USF players have said about him, as well as some of the current Duck players. During group warm-ups, Coach O demands attention to little details and proper form (proper form = safety) or you start all over as a GROUP. THE EXACT SAME THING CANZANO PRAISED CHIP AND THE SEAL TEAMS FOR IN AN O ARTICLE FROM THIS MORNING. USF players, much like the former Duck players Canzano talked to, said those warm-ups make you realize you are all in this together as a family unit and a team. You want to do your job properly for the man on your right and the man on the left and you want to trust and know he is doing his job properly for you. I have read that the players in certain groups were not doing the warm-ups as instructed and thus what should have been a 5-10 minute warm-up stretched out to almost an hour until the little details were mastered.

So, take all the above and then combine it with what we've read about the demise of attention to said details under Helf. Players loafing through proper warm-ups before practice, players not focusing on form during stretching, players not completing the prescribed off-season weight programs, players fudging weights lifted in-season.

Even Helfrich noted early in the season how there was no trust and everyone seemed to be trying to do everyone else's job because of that lack of trust.

From all accounts, it wasn't like these three players just turned white, started shaking, vomited, passed out and were rushed to the hospital in the middle of a workout. If I am reading reports correctly, they brought the injuries and development of symptoms up after a few days to staff and the staff responded immediately by getting them proper medical attention.

Your job as an S & C Coach is to hang your hat on how many injuries your regimen PREVENTS and how you keep your players on the field thanks to their superior conditioning. No one probably feels worse about this right now than Coach O. He made an honest mistake, he was punished for the mistake and he'll learn moving forward. Nothing in his past suggests he has ever had anything like that happen before.

It's a good lesson for everyone involved and it is gut wrenching that three young men suffered some potentially serious injury because of it.

I for one am grateful that it sounds like they will all make complete recoveries.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

^^ That sums it up nicely.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

bdkipe, can't agree with you more. I think this whole incident was caused mainly by a lack of focus to the details by the players and Coach O maybe expecting too much too soon from everyone. Hopefully everyone learned a lesson and this never happens again.