Rhabdo and other colleges

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Zizzle
High School Drop Out

Re: Rhabdo and other colleges

Post by Zizzle »

ifuwant2 wrote:
Zizzle wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:You need to reread the article. No movement, bicep curl, or up-down, has more of an eccentric phase than another. It's up to the trainer/coach to determine how long the athlete should stay in that phase. He never calls the moves eccentric, but he does talk about the eccentric portion of the movement.
Man, go read the last paragraph. I think you quit reading. I'm not arguing with what you're saying. It's just quibbling over nothing.
Haha, Dr are notoriously bad with words, and besides this guy is an anesthesiologist, not an Orthopedic surgeon.

"The classic offenders are Kettlebell Swings and Jumping Pull-Ups," Chang adds. "In the Kettlebell Swing, controlling the bell on the way down represents a very long, loaded eccentric phase. For the Jumping Pull-Up, what often happens is the individual does the Pull-Up, but then slowly lowers themselves back down, which represents eccentric work for the forearms and lats."
He is completely wrong here, almost no trainer will tell you to go slow on the eccentric portion of a kettle swing, it's just not worth the risk. Kettle swings mostly emphasize an explosive concentric action.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Pretty important article talking about the qualifications of trainers and the dangers of year-round training:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ng-season/
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

I usually defend the media but that, IMO, is a hit piece. I will be interested in reading what Pez has to say.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

maxduck wrote:I usually defend the media but that, IMO, is a hit piece. I will be interested in reading what Pez has to say.
As soon as I saw it was from CBS Sports, I knew Dodd was somehow involved. He's one of the biggest doorknob sports columnists around and for whatever reasons, seems to always write some pretty slanted pieces against Oregon at least once a year. The whole article felt overly long as if people didn't get the point of the article after the first couple of "experts." Almost felt like they were getting paid for each word they wrote instead of the quality and conciseness of the piece. Plus, him retweeting the article 4 separate times is a sign that he wasn't getting the clicks and hits he wanted.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

My only problem with the article is it says "Oderinde is not alone," but then it doesn't really focus on anyone other than Oderinde, including the strength coaches at tOSU which had six lacrosse players hospitalized with rhabdo.

I don't think Dodd has a specific anti-Oregon agenda, I just think Oderinde was unfortunate enough to become the most timely face of this issue.

That said, Dodd is about a month late to the party on this, and I don't think most people really care anymore.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

maxduck wrote:I usually defend the media but that, IMO, is a hit piece. I will be interested in reading what Pez has to say.
This I totally agree on. But the Grief piece was not. And this article demonstrates the clear distinction between the two. I certainly wonder If Taggart had not started making a big deal out of the Grief piece, I don't know if this new article even gets written.
lomiton
One Star Recruit

Post by lomiton »

As you from previous posts, I was quite down on Coach Taggart for keeping the ball alive on this issue (particularly since there was really no defense for it). However since he has seemingly made peace with Greif, I think it has been put to bed. Of course, the penalty is as Pez pointed out, everyone that decides to write and article about these types of occurrences are going to focus on the last one - which right now is Oregon's. I thought Dodd took some larger than he needed to swipes at Oregon and Oderinde but that is the price that is going to have to be paid.

I think what irked me most about the article is the how the Iowa SC coach not only got off scott free at the university when it happened, but also his peers seemed to absolve him because of his "mastery" level board certification and his reputation. If anything, he should get less leeway because of his so-called knowledge level. How the guy quoted in the article (Hoffman) could on one hand eviscerate both Taggart and Oderinde (which might have had it coming) but on the other hand completely excuse what happened in Iowa because they both served on some national committee together just reeks of "buddy-buddy" to me. If Dodd had time to go into such depth on this article he might have spent another five minutes on asking why that is.

Can't wait for spring football.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

lomiton wrote:As you from previous posts, I was quite down on Coach Taggart for keeping the ball alive on this issue (particularly since there was really no defense for it). However since he has seemingly made peace with Greif, I think it has been put to bed. Of course, the penalty is as Pez pointed out, everyone that decides to write and article about these types of occurrences are going to focus on the last one - which right now is Oregon's. I thought Dodd took some larger than he needed to swipes at Oregon and Oderinde but that is the price that is going to have to be paid.

I think what irked me most about the article is the how the Iowa SC coach not only got off scott free at the university when it happened, but also his peers seemed to absolve him because of his "mastery" level board certification and his reputation. If anything, he should get less leeway because of his so-called knowledge level. How the guy quoted in the article (Hoffman) could on one hand eviscerate both Taggart and Oderinde (which might have had it coming) but on the other hand completely excuse what happened in Iowa because they both served on some national committee together just reeks of "buddy-buddy" to me. If Dodd had time to go into such depth on this article he might have spent another five minutes on asking why that is.

Can't wait for spring football.
I thought the same thing
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

How about the Cal strength coach who has had two players who died? He got one paragraph.

Instead, universities are the defendants for their own actions. In 2016, the University of California settled for $4.75 million over the death of football player Ted Agu, who had the sickle cell trait and died after a strenuous offseason workout in 2014. Cal strength coach Robert Jackson was also present for the workout years earlier preceding the death of UCF football player Ereck Plancher, who tested positive for sickle cell trait.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Great stuff^^^^folks. It's unfortunate. Hopefully all goes well for Coach O and Coach T with the workouts from here on out. Lessons learned.
lomiton
One Star Recruit

Post by lomiton »

ifuwant2 wrote:Great stuff^^^^folks. It's unfortunate. Hopefully all goes well for Coach O and Coach T with the workouts from here on out. Lessons learned.
Agreed - both in regard to workouts and with the media. I still think that CWT would have been best served by holding a press conference (thereby cutting off any investigative reporting angle) immediately after it happened (or after the first Oregonian report) and provided an realistic explanation as to what occurred and why it wouldn't happen again. Of course it would have been an ugly, ugly press conference at a totally inopportune time (recruiting season) but it would have saved a lot of time and agony for CWT and the program. That should be abundantly clear by now.

Unfortunately it wouldn't have made any difference in regard to the CBS article; again until the next workout related tragedy Oregon football is going to the poster child. Let's hope this is the end of this for a very long time for everyone's sake.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Seems to me Oregon was very pro-active in identifying the health issues of the involved athletes, and taking action in a timely manner.

The communication?

Not so much!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I love seeing the winter conditioning videos lately. See, THAT is what Oregon needed to do. The Oregonian war was just... ill-advised. Man up, don't make excuses, and then SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL the program. 8-)

Seriously, we're all willing buyers! We're Duck fans. We WANT to buy! Don't give us reasons to doubt. Just own it and move on. We WANT to follow!
Willie Taggart is a dick.