Coach O credentials.......

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Coach O credentials.......

Post by Alan »

The coach O suspended thread seems to be focused on two areas and in a tunnel, so..... I did a quick Google on Coach O and his experience in S&C, there seems to be questions to his qualifications to be a S&C coach and I question them also. He played 4years under Willie when Willie was an assistant coach at W Kentucky. Then he went into S&C for a few schools, before Joining Willie at USF, he had 12 years experience in S&C up to that point. Was at USF with Willie for two years as Director of S&C for all athletes, may have got the title slightly wrong. So he joined the Ducks with 14 years experience in S&C.....does he qualify him for his job? Please don't factor in the "he put three kids in the hospital", it's happened in the past to other schools. He did put kids in the hospital, but please don't luck at what he did, is he qualified because of what he has done in the past to get to Oregon for this discussion?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Coach O credentials.......

Post by Phenom »

I'm sure there is some sort of certification he must have to be a S&C coach and I'm guessing he has that..
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Isn't there already an active thread discussing Coach O?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

5$ wrote:Isn't there already an active thread discussing Coach O?
Did you read my first sentence?
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Below is from the Austin Meek column in today's RG. It appears there are several S&C associations and no idea which is the best or most respected.

Chuck Stiggins wanted to make one thing abundantly clear.

He doesn’t know Irele Oderinde, Oregon’s new strength coach. Doesn’t know his qualifications or his background, nor the details of the workouts that sent three Duck football players to the hospital.

Stiggins is executive director of the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association, so he naturally took interest in a story about those workouts published by The Oregonian. In fact, he was reading it when I called Tuesday afternoon. But because he doesn’t know Oderinde, he wanted to choose his words carefully.

“He’s not certified by our organization,” Stiggins said. “He may be certified by another organization, but he’s not certified by our organization. Our certification process is very, very rigorous.”

Jim Radcliffe? That’s another story. Stiggins was happy to talk about Radcliffe, who has directed football conditioning at Oregon since the days of Rich Brooks.

Radcliffe was certified at one time by the CSCCA, and though that certification has since lapsed, Stiggins can vouch for Radcliffe’s reputation as one of the best and most conscientious strength coaches in the country.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Thanks Max, just the type of info I was looking for.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

There is only one Coach O guys, and he wears Purple and Gold

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Bud Lee wrote:There is only one Coach O guys, and he wears Purple and Gold

Yea, but some of us on the left coast can't understand him when he speaks, he talks like he has a mouth full of crayfish! In fact he looks like he has one stuck in his cheek in that pic. :lol: :lol: This site needs a "hide under the chair" emoji. :lol:
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Alan wrote:Yea, but some of us on the left coast can't understand him when he speaks, he talks like he has a mouth full of crayfish! In fact he looks like he has one stuck in his cheek in that pic. :lol: :lol: This site needs a "hide under the chair" emoji. :lol:

As long as the players understand him we are good :D
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Alan wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:There is only one Coach O guys, and he wears Purple and Gold

Yea, but some of us on the left coast can't understand him when he speaks, he talks like he has a mouth full of crayfish! In fact he looks like he has one stuck in his cheek in that pic. :lol: :lol: This site needs a "hide under the chair" emoji. :lol:
So Bud will you still be singing his praises when the tigers go 6-6 or 7-6
and NCAA looking into shady recruiting? Just sayin...He's a good assistant but he had issues at Ole Miss
How long before fans tire of him and call for his head...
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

duckfan22 wrote:So Bud will you still be singing his praises when the tigers go 6-6 or 7-6
and NCAA looking into shady recruiting? Just sayin...He's a good assistant but he had issues at Ole Miss
I'm a man that believes people learn from their past and can improve from it. Ole Miss was a long time ago and was a inherited dumpster fire. With that said, with the talent we have I'll give him three seasons if he goes puts up those kinds of seasons consistently. I really think he will do well though, he has an outstanding staff with NFL talent on the team.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I spot checked a handful of S&C guys credentials and only found one other school where the head guy didn't have a kinesiology/exercise science type degree. That school was Southern Cal. By no means something to make any larger assumptions off of but interesting nonetheless.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Bud Lee wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:So Bud will you still be singing his praises when the tigers go 6-6 or 7-6
I'm a man that believes people learn from their past and can improve from it. Ole Miss was a long time ago and was a inherited dumpster fire. With that said, with the talent we have I'll give him three seasons if he goes puts up those kinds of seasons consistently. I really think he will do well though, he has an outstanding staff with NFL talent on the team.
I truthfully think he was a good hire.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:I spot checked a handful of S&C guys credentials and only found one other school where the head guy didn't have a kinesiology/exercise science type degree. That school was Southern Cal. By no means something to make any larger assumptions off of but interesting nonetheless.
Clownzano opened his show reporting Coach O has no credentials and therefore could'nt be a trainer at 24 hr fitness....I know...... Clownzano :oops:
chipkellysballs
Two Star Recruit

Post by chipkellysballs »

Can we stop with this? He has 14 years of experience in S&C. The blazing hot takes that a guy with a 4 year degree and 0 years of experience would be more qualified than him are completely bs. The guy knows what he's doing. He's at a new program, doesn't know his players, isn't familiar with Oregon's tech resources, made a big mistake, and is paying the price for it. The credentials are not a requirement for the job. When you and I apply for a job most companies ask for a degree in the field or equivalent years of experience, Coach O has the equivalent years of experience x3 and then some.