Coach O credentials.......

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Coach O credentials.......

Post by buckmarkduck »

chipkellysballs wrote:Can we stop with this? He has 14 years of experience in S&C. The blazing hot takes that a guy with a 4 year degree and 0 years of experience would be more qualified than him are completely bs. The guy knows what he's doing. He's at a new program, doesn't know his players, isn't familiar with Oregon's tech resources, made a big mistake, and is paying the price for it. The credentials are not a requirement for the job. When you and I apply for a job most companies ask for a degree in the field or equivalent years of experience, Coach O has the equivalent years of experience x3 and then some.
Lots and lots of people do something other than what their degree is in.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

chipkellysballs wrote:Can we stop with this? He has 14 years of experience in S&C. The blazing hot takes that a guy with a 4 year degree and 0 years of experience would be more qualified than him are completely bs. The guy knows what he's doing. He's at a new program, doesn't know his players, isn't familiar with Oregon's tech resources, made a big mistake, and is paying the price for it. The credentials are not a requirement for the job. When you and I apply for a job most companies ask for a degree in the field or equivalent years of experience, Coach O has the equivalent years of experience x3 and then some.
I couldn't agree with your post more, except for the stop part. When I was in my corporate life I can't remember how many messes I had to clean up because of the new kid fresh out of college with a MBA didn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground in the field he/she was hired for. Yes coach O has 14yrs experience and is new to this group of kids..... but it appears he may have nothing but on the job training and no professional education on being a trainer...maybe not I just going off reports. But what is a fact is he was on the job for six or seven days and put three kids in the hospital by not seeing the signs to back off. I'm a very long ways from saying he should be fired, but I believe this is an area worth discussing. Willie hired an all star staff, maybe the best in the nation.....is there a weak link?
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

When you put 3 people in the hospital (2 for a week) in any profession, you're credentials are going to be questioned. I haven't seen anybody questioning his years of experience, but the S&C job at a major university is one of the best gigs in the fitness profession. 99% of all university jobs require degree credentials to even apply.

Our resident fitness trainer (Snapt) had this to say:

"So these guys (CoachO) programmed 3 days of nothing but bodyweight work after rumors of lax training and skipped workouts etc. for players who probably weren't used to these things, let alone high rep counts? Anyone with a whiff of education/training knows that's a recipe for rhabdo."

Maybe our new coach knows all about rhabdo and simply made a mistake. Maybe not. Now he has to have all his workouts ok'd by somebody who has both education and training experience. Seems like a good idea to me. And if Coach O doesn't have elite certification equal to the job, he should probably be forced to go earn them.
chipkellysballs
Two Star Recruit

Post by chipkellysballs »

Alan wrote:I couldn't agree with your post more, except for the stop part. When I was in my corporate life I can't remember how many messes I had to clean up because of the new kid fresh out of college with a MBA didn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground in the field he/she was hired for. Yes coach O has 14yrs experience and is new to this group of kids..... but it appears he may have nothing but on the job training and no professional education on being a trainer...maybe not I just going off reports. But what is a fact is he was on the job for six or seven days and put three kids in the hospital by not seeing the signs to back off. I'm a very long ways from saying he should be fired, but I believe this is an area worth discussing. Willie hired an all star staff, maybe the best in the nation.....is there a weak link?
The main issue people seem to be having regarding credentials is the assumption that because he didn't get a degree in a S&C field of study he for that reason would not be able to recognize the signs of rhabdo. So there's a couple of things that I want to point out regarding that assumption. For starters he did recognize the post-workout signs of rhabdo and was able to send the 3 athletes to get help early enough to have all 3 currently be in good condition, it's not like he said 'oh your pee is brown that's nothing just rub some dirt in it'. Secondly, people don't seem to get he's not the only person supervising the workout. He has a staff of assistants (none of which he knows very well) that help him run the workout and supervise so that something like this doesn't happen. He by himself can't humanly be able to pay close enough attention to all 112 athletes performing the workout to be able to say 'hey you in the 6th row, you good?' so perhaps his assistants were unaware of the signs of rhabdo, which I understand is still his fault and responsibility but you can't put that on his lack of credentials. My point is that I do think he knew about rhabdo and its signs and therefore credentials didn't play a role in this as much as new surroundings and a poor communication between coach O, his assistants, and the players.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

ifuwant2 wrote:
When you put 3 people in the hospital (2 for a week) in any profession, you're credentials are going to be questioned. I haven't seen anybody questioning his years of experience, but the S&C job at a major university is one of the best gigs in the fitness profession. 99% of all university jobs require degree credentials to even apply.

"So these guys (CoachO) programmed 3 days of nothing but bodyweight work after rumors of lax training and skipped workouts etc. for players who probably weren't used to these things, let alone high rep counts? Anyone with a whiff of education/training knows that's a recipe for rhabdo."

Maybe our new coach knows all about rhabdo and simply made a mistake. Maybe not. Now he has to have all his workouts ok'd by somebody who has both education and training experience. Seems like a good idea to me. And if Coach O doesn't have elite certification equal to the job, he should probably be forced to go earn them.
If that's truly what happened that is not a good sign.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ifuwant2 wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if a condition of him returning is an agreement for him to get his certification sometime over the off-season. Since I don't know what kind of classes he took in college or what kind of seminars/training programs he's done in the off-seasons, it's hard to know how much he'd need to do to get this done. When I was at the UO, I knew some of the athletic trainers in the master's program and a few of them had S&C certs. I asked how difficult it was to get them and they said it's not all that hard since much of certification exam is stuff they picked up in their classes and work experiences. From reading one of the main certification groups, they even give tips for non-exercise science degree holders to study for the exam. I'd suspect that Coach Oderinde could pass the test if he's picked up enough from his work experiences.

https://www.nsca.com/cscs-exam-prerequisites/
https://www.nsca.com/cscs-exam-preparation/
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

No offense fella's but 50-80% of what you learn in your vocation is OTJ. It's why they have "residency" programs for physicians before they can formally practice. The rest could be self-study, etc. Additionally, it's not like Coach O was the only individual providing oversight. This support staff is formally credentialed. They'll typically be 2-5 individuals involved. If his actions were so egregious O would have been fired. While not trying to diminish the seriousness, this stuff does happen.

After 14 years, he clearly has the experience to manage this. Unfortunately, he apparently hasn't come across a team so undisciplined and lax prior to the initiation of Winter conditioning. That in itself is telling. The timing sucks, it sucks for the players and especially those 3 affected but clearly he has the trust of WT so let it go. This isn't a sport for snowflakes, you need to be tested, be able to play through pain and risk paralysis.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

He actually is certified, Meek confirmed it. (After insinuating coach O was not ...)

Funny thing is.. Coach Rad's certification actually expired a while ago. So really Coach O is more certified than Rad
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

No offense fella's but 50-80% of what you learn in your vocation is OTJ. It's why they have "residency" programs for physicians before they can formally practice. The rest could be self-study, etc. Additionally, it's not like Coach O was the only individual providing oversight. This support staff is formally credentialed. They'll typically be 2-5 individuals involved. If his actions were so egregious O would have been fired. While not trying to diminish the seriousness, this stuff does happen.

After 14 years, he clearly has the experience to manage this. Unfortunately, he apparently hasn't come across a team so undisciplined and lax prior to the initiation of Winter conditioning. That in itself is telling. The timing sucks, it sucks for the players and especially those 3 affected but clearly he has the trust of WT so let it go. This isn't a sport for snowflakes, you need to be tested, be able to play through pain and risk paralysis.
You're right, this isn't a sport to be played by "snowflakes." However -- if by "snowflakes" you mean people who tend to worry more about other people's well-beings -- then I'd argue it's up to the snowflakes to make sure this sport remains "safe" enough that the young men who play it (and have very little life experience) aren't put in harm's way unnecessarily.

I love football, and by watching it I'm already willing to live with the known connections to brain injuries, the risk of paralysis, permanent joint damage and occasional (but extremely rare) deaths. It's the price we pay for maintaining a brutal, physical sport that, for some weird reason, I personally feel is extremely valuable and beneficial for our country. But a trifecta of rhabdo from a week of workouts is just something that should never happen.

I'm with you like 99 percent of the way. Coach O is experienced enough to do this right, and Taggart obviously trusts him. That's good enough for me. That said, he did screw this up -- a rhabdo trifecta is unquestionably on the coaches, not the players -- and so he's paying the price.

If this never happens again, then someday this will be nothing more than one of those little stories they tell during the timeouts of national championship games. However, I think it's important to not minimize what happened here, because this really isn't normal.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

justducky0 wrote:He actually is certified, Meek confirmed it. (After insinuating coach O was not ...)

Funny thing is.. Coach Rad's certification actually expired a while ago. So really Coach O is more certified than Rad
Certified = Sent them money to take a stupid test so he can put some letters at the end of his email signature or on his business card.

Radcliffe can just put "Google me" for his certifications.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Duck24 wrote:
justducky0 wrote:He actually is certified, Meek confirmed it. (After insinuating coach O was not ...)

Certified = Sent them money to take a stupid test so he can put some letters at the end of his email signature or on his business card.

That might be one of the worst responses i've ever seen. :lol: :lol: :lol: Where do I even begin to break it down?

Other jobs / professions that you have to "take a stupid test for" : Engineers, Architects, Accountant, Literally anything in medicine, Lawyers, Event Planners, Teachers should I go on?

Other jobs / professions that you can say "google me" for your certification confirmation: 0
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

justducky0 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

That might be one of the worst responses i've ever seen. :lol: :lol: :lol: Where do I even begin to break it down?

Other jobs / professions that you have to "take a stupid test for" : Engineers, Architects, Accountant, Literally anything in medicine, Lawyers, Event Planners, Teachers should I go on?

Other jobs / professions that you can say "google me" for your certification confirmation: 0
Seriously. lol
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Here's the tweet from Meek about Oderinde's credentials and a link to what they cover in the courses to get it. While not as prestigious as Rad's, it's from USA Track and Field and is recognized as legit by many schools. http://www.ustfccca.org/track-and-field ... tification
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

greenyellow wrote:Here's the tweet from Meek about Oderinde's credentials and a link to what they cover in the courses to get it. While not as prestigious as Rad's, it's from USA Track and Field and is recognized as legit by many schools. http://www.ustfccca.org/track-and-field ... tification

GTFO Out Duck24
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

Is he as qualified as Jim Radcliff? No.

Does he have a master's degree? Yes.
It would be preferable if it was in a field more closely related to being a strength and conditioning coach but he is certified by one S&C organization.

I don't have a huge issue with his credentials. I would like to see him continue his education in his field of employment though, which he very well could be doing.

He screwed up and is now being punished for it. Lets hope that's the end of it and this will no longer be an issue. The players seem to love him, and that counts for something.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO