Mattingly

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

wlduck
Sophomore

Mattingly

Post by wlduck »

I heard today that he is being moved to tight end for his senior year. Interesting move. I always hoped he'd turn into a good LB, but we're shallow at TE.
greenyellow

Re: Mattingly

Post by greenyellow »

He was a pretty good TE in HS so it couldn't hurt to have him over there, especially with him likely not going to see much PT at LB.
ljginger
Three Star Recruit

Post by ljginger »

He was offered to play TE by Alabama...always thought that was a better fit for him! Glad to hear he's finally switching but it makes sense especially w/ our numbers at both positions.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

ljginger wrote:He was offered to play TE by Alabama...always thought that was a better fit for him! Glad to hear he's finally switching but it makes sense especially w/ our numbers at both positions.
Same person told me he wanted to play TE since he came to Oregon. But there was so much depth there he was strongly encouraged to play LB.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

wlduck wrote:
ljginger wrote:He was offered to play TE by Alabama...always thought that was a better fit for him! Glad to hear he's finally switching but it makes sense especially w/ our numbers at both positions.
Same person told me he wanted to play TE since he came to Oregon. But there was so much depth there he was strongly encouraged to play LB.
Moving him over likely means they're good with only getting Falo this class and waiting until next year to address future TE needs.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I agree. 1 TE and done in this class. He should make a hell of a blocking TE.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

jimmy12 wrote:I agree. 1 TE and done in this class. He should make a hell of a blocking TE.
Dude can catch. Don't be shocked if he is a breakout player at TE. This is an excellent move. He doesn't have the instincts to play LB but could be a phenom at TE.
gosterman01
Three Star Recruit

Post by gosterman01 »

Why is everyone so confident we land Falo? Just asking....I would love it but I think he's USC's.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

gosterman01 wrote:Why is everyone so confident we land Falo? Just asking....I would love it but I think he's USC's.
A.) he's a fan of his last visit.
B.) Playing time
C.) proximity
D.) Salave'a
F.) The USC board sounds thinks he's gone
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

How quickly can a kid transition at a position like tight end? Sure he'll help plug depth, but is it realistic to see him making serious contributions on game day? I think it's a great move for him. I always want to see every Duck kid get on the field and get a chance to shine.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

ifuwant2 wrote:How quickly can a kid transition at a position like tight end? Sure he'll help plug depth, but is it realistic to see him making serious contributions on game day? I think it's a great move for him. I always want to see every Duck kid get on the field and get a chance to shine.
That's the million dollar question! Is he Troy Die or Mattrel McGraw(no offense Mattrel)? Depth chart almost guarantees PT for Falo.

No way we go all season with Breeland and McCormick in perfect health so odds are good he'll see PT. How much of his play has an impact is another question but the kid is good. Wouldn't be surprised to see him rotating consistently by mid-season.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

ifuwant2 wrote:How quickly can a kid transition at a position like tight end? Sure he'll help plug depth, but is it realistic to see him making serious contributions on game day? I think it's a great move for him. I always want to see every Duck kid get on the field and get a chance to shine.
TE is one of the easier spots to transition to honestly. And he's played it before. The hardest part will be learning blocking assignments.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Espn reported Breeland as oregon's "breakout" player at TE next season. Not that it means anything this early.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/i ... ut-players
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

Probably where he should've started out his career, but we needed big LBs when we signed him...
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

DuckedOut wrote:Probably where he should've started out his career, but we needed big LBs when we signed him...
Yep! Or OLB which he was great at in HS. Kind of excited to see him in this role.