Oregon Spring Game (April 29 Sat 11:00 AM PT, Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Re: Oregon Spring Game (April 29 Sat 11:00 AM PT, Pac-12 Net

Post by UofDuck »

The very best type of coach is one that's approachable, but is able to also clearly demonstrate that he is unquestionably the Alpha in the relationship. I think Willey has that.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Late to the party here, I had to be out of town all day yesterday so I DVR'd the game and watched it late last night. Anyway wanted or not a couple of takes and observations........

Herbert is certainly the guy as of now, head and shoulders above Jonsen and Braxton. I may have been more impressed with Braxton then Jonsen yesterday only because of his short time here and his running ability, he was way off on some throws though.

Very impressed with a couple of freshman, Graham being one and the WR, his name slips my mind but he caught the pass on the opening play. Both looked very good.

I was impressed with the play of Apairy, although I wasn't happy with the hit he put on TBJ, the targeting hit. I was glad to see Willie in his ear after that... but he's there to play this season.

Great team spirit and a sense of a true team coming together, now just tone it down to avoid celebration penalties during the season...... I know they were told to have fun and they did.

Willie has done a fantastic job so far, A+ in my book. But we will all know how he has done so far shortly after the Nebraska game. Not saying he has to have a "W", I'll simply judge him on the teams performance. He and his staff can certainly recruit!!
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Alan wrote:Late to the party here, I had to be out of town all day yesterday so I DVR'd the game and watched it late last night. Anyway wanted or not a couple of takes and observations........

Herbert is certainly the guy as of now, head and shoulders above Jonsen and Braxton. I may have been more impressed with Braxton then Jonsen yesterday only because of his short time here and his running ability, he was way off on some throws though.

Very impressed with a couple of freshman, Graham being one and the WR, his name slips my mind but he caught the pass on the opening play. Both looked very good.

I was impressed with the play of Apairy, although I wasn't happy with the hit he put on TBJ, the targeting hit. I was glad to see Willie in his ear after that... but he's there to play this season.

Great team spirit and a sense of a true team coming together, now just tone it down to avoid celebration penalties during the season...... I know they were told to have fun and they did.

Willie has done a fantastic job so far, A+ in my book. But we will all know how he has done so far shortly after the Nebraska game. Not saying he has to have a "W", I'll simply judge him on the teams performance. He and his staff can certainly recruit!!
I believe the reliever is Darrion McNeal he define toy looked sharp. Though he is only 165 pounds if I remember right. Braxton has tons of ability he will be a star at some point.

Totally agree about Coach Taggart, he has given these guys something to be proud of and believe in and it shows. Future is bright!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

We have a lot of other fast, explosive dudes coming this fall: Redd, Felix, Verdell, Davis, etc.

I want some big outside WRs for this class. We have the slot pretty well covered.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

Phenom wrote:We have a lot of other fast, explosive dudes coming this fall: Redd, Felix, Verdell, Davis, etc.

I want some big outside WRs for this class. We have the slot pretty well covered.
All the reason why I hope we can get Michael Ekeike....he would literally be a HUGE get!!!
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Also, I'll add, loved what I saw from Brady Breeze as far as squaring people up to tackle. Had a couple of really nice sticks and the announcers even got him confused with Troy Dye on one play..so you know he can hit!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck wrote:Also, I'll add, loved what I saw from Brady Breeze as far as squaring people up to tackle. Had a couple of really nice sticks and the announcers even got him confused with Troy Dye on one play..so you know he can hit!
It sounds like tackling as a whole will be much better since this staff has really emphasized technique so far.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I watched the first half and will watch the second half tonight.. It is really hard to get a good feel for the team when it is just a spring game. I will agree that think so far Herbert is our best qb option. I want to see how the team responds in the fall though and whether tackling will be improved. There will be losses... how does Oregon and the coaches respond to them. Does the defense show lots of improvement. The stats about where Oregon was defensively last year in Pac 12 were fugly.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Also, I'll add, loved what I saw from Brady Breeze as far as squaring people up to tackle. Had a couple of really nice sticks and the announcers even got him confused with Troy Dye on one play..so you know he can hit!
It sounds like tackling as a whole will be much better since this staff has really emphasized technique so far.

To be honest, we did hear this last year. (Though I tend to believe it more this year).

I think it will be a struggle for the defense still this year. Springs/Dye are studs, FatMac seems like a pleasant surprise, I like Jalen Jelks when healthy....but outside of that it's a whole lot of ???. We won't be as bad as last year, but it's going to take 3-4 years to get back to where we need to be on that side of the ball.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon once again led the conference in spring game attendance. Sounds like it would have been higher had it not been for some sections being closed due to construction.

1. Oregon - 36,588
2. UCLA - 20,000
3. USC - 15,284
4. Colorado - 10,244
5. Utah - 8,633
6. Washington State - 8,340
7. Oregon State - 8,263
8. Washington - 7,000
9. Arizona State - 6,300
10. Cal - 5,831
11. Stanford - 4,350
12. Arizona - 4,095
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Amazing turnout for UCLA considering they held their scrimmage at Drake Stadium which only holds 11,700 according to Wiki. :lol:
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon once again led the conference in spring game attendance. Sounds like it would have been higher had it not been for some sections being closed due to construction.

1. Oregon - 36,588
2. UCLA - 20,000
3. USC - 15,284
4. Colorado - 10,244
5. Utah - 8,633
6. Washington State - 8,340
7. Oregon State - 8,263
8. Washington - 7,000
9. Arizona State - 6,300
10. Cal - 5,831
11. Stanford - 4,350
12. Arizona - 4,095
I saw a bit of the OSU game on TV and there wasn't 8000 people there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

That list came from 247Sports so I'm a bit dubious of some of the numbers since many look like figures the schools put out to make themselves look better.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

It was actually a fun spring game to watch. Usually I get bored after the first quarter, or first half, but definitely fun to watch. The end celebration was great.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

The good news is there wasn't many disappointments. Nelson's overall effort is pretty pathetic. Two of the interceptions could be attributed to his lack of desire to go after a catchable ball. And his body language comes off as negative. Doesn't help he through a shot at one of our own D-lineman after a play was over.

Carrington on the other hand, has responded very well, despite having a couple issues the last year. Awesome to see his change of attitude.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13