Marcus Arroyo Passing Game Co & QB Coach

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck541
Four Star Recruit

Re: Marcus Arroyo Passing Game Co & QB Coach

Post by duck541 »

OregonDuckPike wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:
Hoagduck wrote:Huh, per SB nation he's going to be TE coach as well. Seems like a big load.
I think he'll be the Co-OC/PGC/QB coach. Craig will take WRs. TEs will probably be coached by Gilbertson until they can either officially hire him or a TE coach.
So you still feel like D. Craig will join the staff?
I've been one of the few guys here who didn't think Craig would get hired. I thought cost and his desire to have more control input in the offense would be too much to overcome.

But the longer he takes to find a job, the more likely I think it is that he accepts the WR job here. Sounds like he doesn't have a ton of experience with the X and Os and that's holding him back right now.

Ideally WT sells him on the opportunity here as WR coach, and the chance to learn from some really smart X/Os guys who will probably be leaving in a couple years, in which case Craig would be a great candidate to replace them as OC.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

duck541 wrote:
OregonDuckPike wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:
Hoagduck wrote:Huh, per SB nation he's going to be TE coach as well. Seems like a big load.
I think he'll be the Co-OC/PGC/QB coach. Craig will take WRs. TEs will probably be coached by Gilbertson until they can either officially hire him or a TE coach.
I've been one of the few guys here who didn't think Craig would get hired. I thought cost and his desire to have more control input in the offense would be too much to overcome.

But the longer he takes to find a job, the more likely I think it is that he accepts the WR job here. Sounds like he doesn't have a ton of experience with the X and Os and that's holding him back right now.

Ideally WT sells him on the opportunity here as WR coach, and the chance to learn from some really smart X/Os guys who will probably be leaving in a couple years, in which case Craig would be a great candidate to replace them as OC.
I actually see it the opposite. The longer it takes for D Craig to accept.. the smaller the chance he comes to Oregon. He doesn't really need to hurry for a job. He got fired from LSU so I am assuming he is getting paid his big buyout he supposedly has. Also there is going to be 128 coaching openings beginning this Spring when the NCAA approves the extra coach. There is going to be a new found interest in him for his recruiting prowess. IMO I don't think he is coming here, but I will eat crow if he does accept the WR position here at Oregon.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

scoducks wrote:
duck541 wrote:
OregonDuckPike wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:

I actually see it the opposite. The longer it takes for D Craig to accept.. the smaller the chance he comes to Oregon. He doesn't really need to hurry for a job. He got fired from LSU so I am assuming he is getting paid his big buyout he supposedly has. Also there is going to be 128 coaching openings beginning this Spring when the NCAA approves the extra coach. There is going to be a new found interest in him for his recruiting prowess. IMO I don't think he is coming here, but I will eat crow if he does accept the WR position here at Oregon.
There is a new push to delay adding a 10th coach until 2018 http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... k-to-2018/
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

If they do end up pushing the 10th coach to 2018, I think Oregon will end up hiring someone who can coach both WRs and TEs for the upcoming season before splitting responsibilities in 2018.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

scoducks wrote:
duck541 wrote:
OregonDuckPike wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:

Yea but by pretty much all accounts Craig doesn't really want to be just another position coach, or at least not for long. He's been looking for more responsibility for the past few years, and wants to be an OC where he can actual have some ownership of an offense.

Left FSU be OC at Auburn and not be a position coach. As a co-OC at Auburn he wasn't getting the responsibility he wanted because it's all Malhzan so he went to LSU where even as WR coach he had more input in the game plan. Orgeron hired Matt Canada as OC who didn't think Craig fit well with his offense and he was let go.

So yea, there might be 128 new coaching jobs available soon, but none of those are going to be as an OC job that isn't already available. A big school could throw some money at him because his recruiting prowess, but right now Oregon seems like a better and better fit given his other options.

I'm still convinced it's going to happen, but I do think the wait bodes well for us. Some rumors he's visiting Eugene this week too, but I have no idea how reliable those are.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Wasn't he spotted in Eugene this past weekend?
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Phenom wrote:Wasn't he spotted in Eugene this past weekend?
That may be but I don't believe those reports were every confirmed. I don't know, just repeating whatever I hear.
TyranT
One Star Recruit

Post by TyranT »

I'm confused? What position coaches are we currently missing? TE?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

TyranT wrote:I'm confused? What position coaches are we currently missing? TE?
WR and TE
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

TyranT wrote:I'm confused? What position coaches are we currently missing? TE?
WR and TE have no coaches. However, by NCAA rules, we only have room for 1 more coach (unless than 10th coach gets approved). This is a bit of an issue. I too think that the WR coach will get both WR's and TE's. About the only other option is if Woodie takes on TE's.

- Leavitt, LB's
- Heyward, Safeties
- Clark, Corners
- Sala'vea, DL
- Arroyo, QB's
- Cristobal, OL
- Pimpleton, RB's
- Woodie, Special Teams
- WR?, 9th coach ---- Limit currently
- TE?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Cristobal was the TE coach at Bama too, but I think that might be a lot of responsibilities.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

Phenom wrote:Cristobal was the TE coach at Bama too, but I think that might be a lot of responsibilities.
Yeah, that won't happen.

Gilbertson will probably coach TEs...which is what he did at USF.
TyranT
One Star Recruit

Post by TyranT »

I have no doubts that Willie T will get a good one. We will soon find out I'm sure.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

DuckedOut wrote:
Phenom wrote:Cristobal was the TE coach at Bama too, but I think that might be a lot of responsibilities.
Yeah, that won't happen.

Gilbertson will probably coach TEs...which is what he did at USF.
This. If it's Gilbertson, he'll be the defacto TE coach, but imagine that TE's will spend time with OL & WR coach in drill sessions.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

Arroyo is also going to coach tight ends