Willie Taggart interview with KEZI's Kristen Rodgers

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Willie Taggart interview with KEZI's Kristen Rodgers

Post by pezsez1 »

Even in the course of this thread, we're losing track of what Grief actually wrote.

Here it is, just to get our minds right:

"Players this week were required to finish the same workouts, which were described by multiple sources as akin to military basic training, with one said to include up to an hour of continuous push-ups and up-downs."

See? This isn't Grief just pulling "military" out of his ass. He is literally reporting on what other athletic department sources said.

Again, this should be a total non-issue. Grief did nothing wrong. The fact we're even talking about Andrew Grief right now is dumb. The fact we're even still talking about this incident is... more dumb. It's squarely Taggart's fault this is even a thing, and now the University is getting even more bad press because of it.

Chip Kelly's run started off on a bad note, too, so I'm not turning my back on Taggart. But seriously, this incident is small potatoes compared to what Chip went through. This is a total self-inflicted wound -- it was all totally preventable, just by taking responsibility and moving on -- and that's why I'm slightly worried about how Taggart will cope with an actual team/player crisis situation.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:And Grief reported on what happened. Taggart is only mad that Grief used adjectives that others used.

There was really no cover-up, just like there was no sensationalism. This is just Taggart being a dumbass and overreacting.
Greif is not completely blameless since the report compiled by Gleason did find that the word choices used by Greif contributed to a wrongful interpretation of what the intent of the exercises and conditions they were performed under were. Most people read the first article in the first few hours after it broke, which was when it was incomplete and didn't include the necessary updates to give better context for what transpired. That's then what went out and was reported by national outlets, causing a bunch of wrong conclusions and interpretations to made in a wider swath of the population.
Pretty much hits the nail on the head.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

But to say this was "Grief's word choice" is deceptive. He was reporting on what others said.

I just posted it above, so you may not have seen it, but here is the line lifted from his story:

"Players this week were required to finish the same workouts, which were described by multiple sources as akin to military basic training, with one said to include up to an hour of continuous push-ups and up-downs."

The media isn't infallible, and there are times when reporters screw up, but this just isn't one of those times. And even if it were, it would be such a small "mistake" that it wouldn't be worth Taggart's reaction. All Taggart is doing is making the program look bad.
lomiton
One Star Recruit

Post by lomiton »

IMHO we are going to see a lot more of CWT doing things "Willie's way or the highway". With his contract he's set for life regardless of what his result are at Oregon so it's damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead! We'll see what everyone in DuckNation is saying when Herbert is #5 on the depth chart because he throws too well to be a QB in his "system." Regardless of result he's counting his money and doing it his way. Winning is secondary and winning with class, not really in the equation.

I thought Tony Dungy was supposed be providing "fatherly" advice to those new to coaching big time college football programs??? WHERE IS HE?!?!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Eh, let's not get carried away about Taggart. He seems like a good guy, and a lot of great football folks vouch for him. He killed it in recruiting. He gives a good presser. And I really like his goal of being the first African American head coach to win a national title. There's a lot there to like.

If anything, that's why I'm so blown away by his stupidity on this issue. His judgement on this is surprisingly bad.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

lomiton wrote:IMHO we are going to see a lot more of CWT doing things "Willie's way or the highway". With his contract he's set for life regardless of what his result are at Oregon so it's damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead! We'll see what everyone in DuckNation is saying when Herbert is #5 on the depth chart because he throws too well to be a QB in his "system." Regardless of result he's counting his money and doing it his way. Winning is secondary and winning with class, not really in the equation.

I thought Tony Dungy was supposed be providing "fatherly" advice to those new to coaching big time college football programs??? WHERE IS HE?!?!
What in the world are you talking about? Are you saying because he is set for life with his money winning is secondary and winning with "class" is out of the equation? This is just baseless.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

scoducks wrote:
lomiton wrote:IMHO we are going to see a lot more of CWT doing things "Willie's way or the highway". With his contract he's set for life regardless of what his result are at Oregon so it's damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead! We'll see what everyone in DuckNation is saying when Herbert is #5 on the depth chart because he throws too well to be a QB in his "system." Regardless of result he's counting his money and doing it his way. Winning is secondary and winning with class, not really in the equation.

What in the world are you talking about? Are you saying because he is set for life with his money winning is secondary and winning with "class" is out of the equation? This is just baseless.
It seems pretty obvious he's a troll.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

GrantDuck wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:Well, Taggart is getting killed on this nationally. Nobody is buying it. We've all read enough press to realize--if we're being fair--that the Grief article was not a hit job. Time to stop digging.
Not really. Much of the national media(Cowherd, Rome, Gottleib)said it was no big deal and they'd seen/had worse. It was about a 50/50 split nationally.
On the radio? Or in print? I'd like to see what those dudes are saying so if you have links I would appreciate them. I've seen a bunch of negative takes on this. So you'll have to convince me it's 50/50. Your choice of numbers could be misleading in a way that doesn't truly reflect the situation. You should have said, "reactions are mixed". :D
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pudgejeff wrote:
scoducks wrote:

Saying "duck nation" gives it away he doesn't know anything about UO. Then he precedes to say Herbert throws to good for WT system, and it's clear he's a troll.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

GrantDuck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:
I've already addressed this. The report, taken as a whole, was very negative, and it didn't include any response from Taggart, even though he took the time to respond to Greif's questions. Greif is well within his rights as 'independent media' to report on it from whatever angle he chooses, and Taggart is well within his rights to call that angle into question and view talking to Greif as a waste of time and energy (plus, helping Greif keep the story alive is not exactly in Taggart's best interests). Everyone is independent and exercising free will. I'm comfortable leaving it there.
I'm going to say one more thing, only because I feel like we may have a bit of common ground here.

I'm not blaming Taggart for having a negative reaction to this coverage. Rather, I'm calling him out for how he chose to vent his frustration. This totally isn't the first time that a sports coach has publicly aired grievances with the local media, nor is it the first time a coach has flipped out over a story that's totally fair. That happens all the time. It's not much different than coaches yelling at referees during games. Even if they know the ref was correct, there are certain psychological (and messaging) advantages to being in the ref's ear. So I'm not surprised that Taggart made his general feelings known.

What surprises me is how far Taggart took what amounts to a sports/media non-issue. And then to refuse to talk to the Oregonian's reporter over this is just weird.

What's going to happen when the media reports on an argument between players? Or a three-game losing streak? Or a players-only meeting in which grievances are aired? Is Taggart going to throw a public fit every time a story doesn't paint the Ducks in a positive light?

Seriously, the fact that we're even still talking about this is an indictment of Taggart's judgement. This story would have been dead and buried weeks ago had he just accepted responsibility and moved on.
I don't disagree that Taggart is blameless or that the interview was a bit petty. He should take responsibility for what happened and he's kind of changed his tune over the last month in a way that could understandably leave a bad taste in your mouth.

However, I think it's absolutely nuts to say the story was "totally fair" or that the way Greif went on Outside the Lines and said what he said, AFTER the player reaction and still said what he said. Telling a story in a one-sided manner like that is in no way "totally fair," unless you qualify it as an editorial. Greif wrote an irresponsible and underinformed story. I don't think it was on purpose or with an agenda, and I like him otherwise.

The issue I have with Greif's article is the use of "multiple unnamed sources". I mean we know it wasn't a coach since they were all out recruiting. Everyone at the HDC can be considered to be on Taggart's staff so what if it were some kid sweeping the floor while the workout was going on thinking to himself "wow that looks really grueling. That would probably kill me". If he can't use his source's name at least give us some indication that the source has some level of credibility and can differentiate between a grueling workout and an intense workout or that he even knows what a military style workout is and wasn't just describing it that way because he bought one of the Seal workouts on a DVD.
lomiton
One Star Recruit

Post by lomiton »

BUSTED! I plead guilty to exaggeration to make a point.

That said, the have-it-made phenomenon is a real one...people make their bank, get set and all the little tough things they used to do in the past (like bagging the Stanford offense at USF to save his season and his job) now become something of an "option" rather than something that has to be done. Why? because getting paid in advance means zero repercussions.

I've made my points and I will say it again. I like the accountability that Taggart is bringing the program. Much needed. What I don't like is that CWT does not seem to be part of that accountability equation at this point. That's what I see based on his actions surrounding this exercise deal and I can assure you I am not the only one who sees that. Again, if the program is in full reascension mode it won't matter what I think, but he's not buying himself any leeway if something goes haywire, even if it's out of his control.

Have a great weekend...if you want to...
buckmarkduck wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
scoducks wrote:

Saying "duck nation" gives it away he doesn't know anything about UO. Then he precedes to say Herbert throws to good for WT system, and it's clear he's a troll.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Tens of millions of Americans have survived military basic training exercises. While it is not necessarily fun to "drop and give me 50" everybody survives. Military style indicates rigorous but certainly not harmful.

Grueling is defined as extremely tiring and demanding. Three players in the hospital make that an appropriate description. Placing it in the headline is somewhat inflammatory and demonstrated poor judgement IMO.

News this afternoon has the White House shutting out reporters from several major news organizations for a standard briefing so it is now a hot button topic. Taggart should to put his squabble with a reporter behind him, and quickly.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

The biggest thing I have taken out of this thread is it's the off season and nothing really to talk about.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

lomiton wrote:BUSTED! I plead guilty to exaggeration to make a point.

That said, the have-it-made phenomenon is a real one...people make their bank, get set and all the little tough things they used to do in the past (like bagging the Stanford offense at USF to save his season and his job) now become something of an "option" rather than something that has to be done. Why? because getting paid in advance means zero repercussions.

I've made my points and I will say it again. I like the accountability that Taggart is bringing the program. Much needed. What I don't like is that CWT does not seem to be part of that accountability equation at this point. That's what I see based on his actions surrounding this exercise deal and I can assure you I am not the only one who sees that. Again, if the program is in full reascension mode it won't matter what I think, but he's not buying himself any leeway if something goes haywire, even if it's out of his control.

Have a great weekend...if you want to...
buckmarkduck wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
scoducks wrote:

This guy is contributing nothing.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I think it's fair for CWT to be unhappy that none of his quotes were used in the article. It makes the article incomplete. Can't imagine the same thing happening to Nick Saban. You have to get the brand new head coach's take on an issue like this. It helps fans and alumni get to know the new coach/face of the program, better and understand what type of person/coach we now have. The article was at the least incomplete. It's also fair to question the writer's bias due to the lack of including those quotes. It's not really fair without providing the head man's take on something people are using to judge the head man. So, question away!!!

On the other hand, one article amongst several that do include CWT's take, means the whole story is out that and people have access to it.

I don't believe Grief was looking for fame, trying to be a hack, or even pushing an agenda. I think he overlooked the value of including CWT's take on this particular article. It weakens the article.

There's a lot here to be disagreed with from the multiple perspectives, but I'm really glad to see a lot of searching for common ground on this here on our site. If more folks in the world of politics would do this, perhaps our nation would be in a better state of affairs. I hope we can all see the value in coming together and searching for common ground.

Having lived in Idaho, NYC, the Carolinas, and now Los Angeles, I've lived amongst the extremes of both sides and neither is pretty. Interestingly, I've always been able to find common ground with both. It's a pretty cool thing when someone has the courage to meet you in the middle ground and build off of those common principles. Kuddos to those who have sought to do that here.