Grade the coaching staff

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan22
Senior

Re: Grade the coaching staff

Post by duckfan22 »

DuckedOut wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:speculation is great for conversation here. At the end of the day if one of these coaches shows that
they are in over their head and that position is under performing its Taggerts job to fix that. But he
also hired them not only for recruiting but faith they could get the job done. On paper these coaches look
like a fantastic staff. Maybe the only one i dont know much about is Weist. Really have not done much
research to make a judgement on. Will start to get a good idea in the spring.
Weist isn't on the staff
oops my bad......Raymond Woodie is who i meant. was dazed and confused...
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

lmduck wrote:How can you grade them on anything other than recruiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think for the OP the idea is to get opinions on how you would grade the hires based on potential.

I think the offensive coaches have the most to prove. As recruiters, we are in great shape. But most these offensive coaches are working under new titles and have yet to be asked to build an offense. They all have had "titles" in previous jobs. But I don't think Cristobal had much influence on what Alabama did offensively because that's not how Saban works. Arroyo is a bit unproven, but he's working his way up the ladder nicely, and I'm pretty optimistic. Johnson has been at the high school level for years. So I think the question has to be how well do these guys come together/work together on the nuances of the offense while trying to suit Taggart's philosophical journey as lead play caller with the Gulf Coast. We don't know if any of them are offensive genius strategists...at least in the sense of what we've come to expect at Oregon. That's my main question about the new offensive staff. How will roles be defined and will it all come together. Right now, I give the collective offensive staff a B. And that includes Taggart as lead OC. However, this staff could really take off if they gel.

I think the defense is kinda slam dunk no brainer grade A. Maybe not quite the recruiting power that we have on the offensive side, but these D coaches have all been doing what they were hired to do successfully for long enough that fans should be pretty excited to watch them go to work. I think we will truly see quickly if our defensive unit has talent that was wasted under previous coaches, or if we just didn't recruit very well for years on defense. Probably a little bit of both. Actually, probably a lot of both.
Last edited by Groundswell on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

ifuwant2 wrote:
lmduck wrote:How can you grade them on anything other than recruiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think for the OP the idea is to get opinions on how you would grade the hires based on potential.

I think the offensive coaches have the most to prove. As recruiters, we are in great shape. But most these offensive coaches are working under new titles and have yet to be asked to build an offense. They all have had "titles" in previous jobs. But I don't think Cristobal had much influence on what Alabama did offensively because that's not how Saban works. Arroyo is a bit unproven, but he's working his way up the ladder nicely, and I'm pretty optimistic. Johnson has been at the high school level for years. So I think the question has to be how well do these guys come together/work together on the nuances of the offense while trying to suit Taggart's philosophical journey as lead play caller with the Gulf Coast. We don't know if any of them are offensive genius strategists...at least in the sense of what we've come to expect at Oregon. That's my main question about the new staff. How will roles be defined and will it all come together. Right now, I give the collective offensive staff a B. And that includes Taggart as lead OC. However, this staff could really take off if they gel.

I think the defense is kinda slam dunk no brainer grade A. Maybe not quite the recruiting power that we have on the offensive side, but these D coaches have all been doing what they were hired to do successfully for long enough that fans should be pretty excited to watch them go to work. I think we will truly see quickly if this unit has talent that was wasted under previous coaches, or if we just didn't recruit very well for years on defense. Probably a little bit of both.
One of your statements to me is one of the most important thing to see... "this staff could really take off if they gel" in a not
to long ago interview Taggert talked about getting to know the players better and his staff. I think its critical that the coaching staff
checks its ego at the door and become one staff going the same direction. It's not good if the players see any disfunction within the staff.
The goal is to win championships per Willie. Wont happen if coaches cant get along with each other. This is why Willie has them
doing things together, and stressing the palyers do the same. Everyone on the same page together.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Puckler's Power Rangers?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

^^^^^There was always rumorings of staff division under Helf. An idea that some of the coaches weren't down with him from the beginning, and maybe that was magnified through the defensive coaching changes. I don't know. But if the assistants are undermining each other the players will know it. When things went bad, Helf would always say the team needed leadership. He obsessed about it. I'd speculate that part of his obsession was due to his own lack of leadership abilities coupled/magnified by his staff's questions. I think these coaches have to take the main leadership role here, not the players. The players earn their credentials on the field. But this team has a history of folding when things get tough. The coaches are going to have to work to change this. They have to bare the burden until the players build enough confidence. So, yes, we need absolutely no dysfunction on the staff. This team's ego is too fragile.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

DuckedOut wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:OFFENSE
OC/QB: Marcus Arroyo
OC/OL: Mario Cristobal
TE: ?
RB: Donte Pimpleton
WR: Mike Johnson

DEFENSE
DC/LB: Jim Leavitt
DL: Joe Salave'a
CB: Charles Clark
Safety: Keith Heyward

ST: Raymond Woodie

Just curious to see how you would grade each coach from A+/- to F+/-.
Pure speculation but the impression I have is:

OC/QB: Marcus Arroyo - Recr(A- ), Coaching(A), X&O's(A)
OC/OL: Mario Cristobal- Recr(A+), Coaching(A), X&O's(B+)
RB: Donte Pimpleton - Recr(B), Coaching(B), X&O's(????)
WR: Mike Johnson - Recr(B+), Coaching(A), X&O's(A)

DEFENSE
DC/LB: Jim Leavitt - Recr(A), Coaching(A+), X&O's(A+)
DL: Joe Salave'a - Recr(A+), Coaching(A+), X&O's(A+)
CB: Charles Clark - Recr(A), Coaching(A+), X&O's(A+)
Safety: Keith Heyward - Recr(A+), Coaching(A), X&O's(B+)
ST: Raymond Woodie - Recr(B), Coaching(C), X&O's(D)
OC/QB: Marcus Arroyo B+, I really like Arroyo, but there's some really good QB coaches out there. Plus I really liked Yost.
OC/OL: Mario Cristobal A+, One of the best in the business. And the fact we pulled him from Alabama makes it even more special
RB: Donte Pimpleton C, Only been a RB coach and a D1 coach for two seasons. He has the least experience. Oregon has been known for their running game presence for a couple decades, so it's interesting that our least experienced hire comes at RB. I understand we can afford a homerun hire at every position, but it'll be interesting to see how our RBs develop under coach pimp!
WR: Mike Johnson A-, he's been out of college/NFL coaching for a while, so there may be a little rust. But once he gets into the thick of things, I think we'll greatly appreciate this hire. IMO the most underrated hire of everyone here.

DEFENSE
DC/LB: Jim Leavitt A, You can't ask for much better.
DL: Joe Salave'a A+, The poly connection is what adds the plus.
CB: Charles Clark A-, He will fit well with Leavitt. I think Clark after Johnson will show that he was a great hire.
Safety: Keith Heyward B+, He will fit well with Leavitt.

ST: Raymond Woodie C+, Like smiley said, he can recruit.
RB is probably the one position you can hire an inexperienced coach and make it work out in the end. I mean, look at what the woefully inexperienced Pimpleton did last season with USFs backs. As long as Pimpleton can bring talent in, he'll be fine, also might be the coach who will stick with Taggart the longest.

Also, give me Arroyo over Yost any day of the week.

Totally Agree Ducked up.
The reason I gave Pimp's a B is because the USF backs had a great year but moreover their technique when being tackled was good. They weren't speedsters or particular big but were extremely effective in close quarters and YAC.
I too think Arroyo is a huge jump up from Yost. I liked Yost but think Arroyo is going to be a kid in the candy store with a fat wallet here.