OT but nice article about future of Titans

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

OT but nice article about future of Titans

Post by ArkansasDuck »

This isn't necessarily Duck related but I know most of you follow the Titans for obvious reasons and with it being offseason this will give you something else to read. I came across a pretty good article talking about how close they are to being a legit contender for years to come. They have young pro-bowl caliber talent (Mariota, Lewan, Conklin, Henry, Casey etc.) they have more cap space than all but 2 teams, they have 2 picks in the top 20, and a GM that seems to always make the right moves. It's unreal how good they've become in just a year, and how much better they can easily get.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694 ... -contender
Alan
Senior

Re: OT but nice article about future of Titans

Post by Alan »

Thanks for the link, decent read. I hope Mariota is ready for camp next season, I recently read an ESPN report that the Titans are keeping him to their schedule as far as recovery goes and he's doing much of his rehab in Eugene. He very recently traded in his "scooter" for a walking boot. Yesterday on sports talk radio they said 2 years ago the Titans offensive line was ranked 28 the in the league bring in the center from Houston and Cocklin and they are now on of the top o lines in the league. They have 8 picks in this years draft, #5 overall plus another first round pick and two 3rd round picks. In a draft that is heavy in DB's they should do well.
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

I think they're taking it nice and slow with the leg, which obviously they should. They will be cutting it close but hopefully he can get back and get the rust off before Game 1. I doubt we see much of him in the preseason though other than a series here or there. Jones, the C from Houston, was a very underrated addition. Conklin, at the time of the pick looked like he might be a reach with Tunsil and Decker still on the board, but Robinson loved his nastiness and work ethic. Turned out pretty good as he earned All-Pro as a rookie. Lewan just took his game to a new level. Those dudes just had a bad attitude this year, they wanted to hit everybody and make them remember it. They wanted to get in fights. If somebody laid a finger on Mariota after the whistle Lewan would make sure the guy knew not to do it again. Their new OL coach this past year was Russ Grim who was one of the original "Hogs" from the old Redskin days and he brought an attitude to the line. If they could either draft Corey Davis/Mike Williams or sign Alshon Jeffry/Terrell Pryor as a true #1 receiver that would do wonders for the offense. It's pretty amazing but that's literally all they need on offense is a #1 WR.

Defense is another story. The Front 7 is pretty solid but other than Byard the rookie safety, it's all up for grabs. Luckily this is a very deep defensive draft and a very good free agency class of CB's. I loved how they used Mariota this season. They didn't ask him to do too much, took a lot of pressure off of him with the OL additions, gave him plenty of time to throw and gave him a superb ground game to use. They're letting him learn as he goes instead of throwing him in and relying on him to carry them like a lot of rookie QB's have to do. I also liked them having a veteran backup like Cassel for him to learn the nuances of the game from.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Mariota's receivers are crap. Can you imagine what he could do with a top end guy at WR? Unfortunately @ WR looks like Alshon Jeffery is the best option, but he looks to be in decline.
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Mariota's receivers are crap. Can you imagine what he could do with a top end guy at WR? Unfortunately @ WR looks like Alshon Jeffery is the best option, but he looks to be in decline.
I actually love Rishard Matthews. He's an excellent #2 receiver, unfortunately he had to play #1 last year and he still had a great year. Beside him though Sharpe is very, very young but promising. The rest could be cut for all I care. I wouldn't be mad if they drafted Corey Davis or Mike Williams at pick #5. I like both of those guys, my preference would be Corey Davis I think. I think he's a little better route runner and could line up in multiple positions including slot unlike Williams.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

Here's a couple of FA WR' that are available:

Terelle Pryor
Markus Weaton

Can you imagine MM8 throwing to these guys? :lol:
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Mariota's receivers are crap. Can you imagine what he could do with a top end guy at WR? Unfortunately @ WR looks like Alshon Jeffery is the best option, but he looks to be in decline.
Also Mariota's receivers, while not flashy, dropped the fewest passes in the NFL this season. They were reliable if nothing else.
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

polyduck wrote:Here's a couple of FA WR' that are available:

Terelle Pryor
Markus Weaton

Pryor is a stud man. I love him. But unless the contract was Titan friendly I believe I'd rather draft Davis or Williams.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Lots of season ticket holders for the Titans (that I work with) want Mike Williams. If they get him, we'll see. But from wstchinbWilliams this year I think he'll be a great wr.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

ArkansasDuck wrote:
polyduck wrote:Here's a couple of FA WR' that are available:

Terelle Pryor
Markus Weaton

Pryor is a stud man. I love him. But unless the contract was Titan friendly I believe I'd rather draft Davis or Williams.

As much as I dislike TP and what he did to us in the RB, I'd have to agree with you, he is a VERY gifted athlete.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

ArkansasDuck wrote:
Also Mariota's receivers, while not flashy, dropped the fewest passes in the NFL this season. They were reliable if nothing else.
OR maybe Mariota just throws the most catchable and accurate ball in the NFL. Chicken and egg thingy.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

ArkansasDuck wrote:
I actually love Rishard Matthews. He's an excellent #2 receiver, unfortunately he had to play #1 last year and he still had a great year. Beside him though Sharpe is very, very young but promising. The rest could be cut for all I care. I wouldn't be mad if they drafted Corey Davis or Mike Williams at pick #5. I like both of those guys, my preference would be Corey Davis I think. I think he's a little better route runner and could line up in multiple positions including slot unlike Williams.
Are those guys really worth a #5 pick though? What about throwing some money at Desean Jackson or Terrel Pryor?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
ArkansasDuck wrote:
OR maybe Mariota just throws the most catchable and accurate ball in the NFL. Chicken and egg thingy.
I actually think it's a combination of both. The receivers (sharpe and Matthews) are very reliable pass-catchers and route-runners and Mariota is one of the most accurate QB's in the league. The problem with his receivers is that they lack speed and elusiveness. Wherever they caught the ball was pretty much where they were tackled. They didn't have the ability to make many people miss. That's what I'm hoping for from a stud WR. A guy that can miss tackles and outrun a defense.
Last edited by ArkansasDuck on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

karlhungis wrote:
ArkansasDuck wrote:
Are those guys really worth a #5 pick though? What about throwing some money at Desean Jackson or Terrel Pryor?
I'd bet Pryor signs with Cleveland. They have made it clear he is their #1 priority this offseason and with 100 million in cap space the money won't be an issue. My only issue with him is he has only played receiver 1 year so somebody is going to be paying him a ton of money for 1 years worth of production and potential. I don't know how much Jackson has left. He's going to be 31 this season and speed is his best asset...how long can he hold up? Jeffry has concerns too. He is proned to get nicked up during the year and the whole PED incident will hang over him for his career. Is he worth 13-14 per year? I don't know but there's not many other options and this is a position that TN HAS to and probably will address in some way.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

I'm thinking the Titans take a DB with the 5 pick and then come back and grab Davis or Williams at 18 if either are available. As much as they need a WR1, their secondary is terrible and they need help there more.