OT but nice article about future of Titans

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Re: OT but nice article about future of Titans

Post by ArkansasDuck »

alabamaduck wrote:I'm thinking the Titans take a DB with the 5 pick and then come back and grab Davis or Williams at 18 if either are available. As much as they need a WR1, their secondary is terrible and they need help there more.

That's entirely possible too and wouldn't bother me a bit. But is there a CB worth the #5 pick? I personally don't think so. There are a couple very good CB's but none that just stand out above the others. I don't think there's a CB that they would draft at 5 that wouldn't be there if they were to trade down to 10-12. Regarding the WR's Davis and Williams will likely be gone by 18 meaning John Ross would be the only option if they want to go WR there. They could go for OJ Howard I guess. TE is maybe the most important position in their offense and he is a superb blocker in addition to being freakishly athletic. Even though they have Walker at TE his career is on the back end and those 2 TE's together would be a nightmare to cover.

If I had to guess, I think they pick up a #1 CB in free agency and a #1 WR in free agency (probably Bouye and Jeffry) and trade from 5 to say 12ish. They would recoup a high 2nd rd pick and still be able to pick a guy like Foster, Adams, Hooker, Sol Thomas, Lattimore, or even Davis/Williams in addition to having pick 18 and one in the mid-30's. Robinson loves to wheel and deal.
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

Also the official cap was released today 3/1. The titans have roughly 62 million dollars in cap space which is 5th in the NFL.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

ArkansasDuck wrote:
alabamaduck wrote:I'm thinking the Titans take a DB with the 5 pick and then come back and grab Davis or Williams at 18 if either are available. As much as they need a WR1, their secondary is terrible and they need help there more.

That's entirely possible too and wouldn't bother me a bit. But is there a CB worth the #5 pick? I personally don't think so. There are a couple very good CB's but none that just stand out above the others. I don't think there's a CB that they would draft at 5 that wouldn't be there if they were to trade down to 10-12. Regarding the WR's Davis and Williams will likely be gone by 18 meaning John Ross would be the only option if they want to go WR there. They could go for OJ Howard I guess. TE is maybe the most important position in their offense and he is a superb blocker in addition to being freakishly athletic. Even though they have Walker at TE his career is on the back end and those 2 TE's together would be a nightmare to cover.

If I had to guess, I think they pick up a #1 CB in free agency and a #1 WR in free agency (probably Bouye and Jeffry) and trade from 5 to say 12ish. They would recoup a high 2nd rd pick and still be able to pick a guy like Foster, Adams, Hooker, Sol Thomas, Lattimore, or even Davis/Williams in addition to having pick 18 and one in the mid-30's. Robinson loves to wheel and deal.
Adams and Hooker won't be around at 12 that's why i think they take a DB at 5. If they end up with Ross or Howard at 18 that's great. Ross can take the top off the defense which is what they need...Matthews is a good possession guy but doesn't have a ton of speed and Howard could be a huge pickup at TE.
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

alabamaduck wrote:
ArkansasDuck wrote:

Adams and Hooker won't be around at 12 that's why i think they take a DB at 5. If they end up with Ross or Howard at 18 that's great. Ross can take the top off the defense which is what they need...Matthews is a good possession guy but doesn't have a ton of speed and Howard could be a huge pickup at TE.
I like Adams and Hooker both. Would love either one of them. I agree that they will be gone, I misread your post and was assuming you meant to take a CB at 5. Now safety is a different story. Those 2 guys are gamechangers and are legit top of the draft picks. I get the feeling JR is going to go all-in on the defensive backfield like he did on the OL and RB last season.

One thing for sure, the Titans hold a lot of cards this year. Ton of cap space, an attractive young team on the rise, lots of draft capitol. Should be a fun offseason
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

ArkansasDuck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
ArkansasDuck wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:Mariota's receivers are crap. Can you imagine what he could do with a top end guy at WR? Unfortunately @ WR looks like Alshon Jeffery is the best option, but he looks to be in decline.
I actually love Rishard Matthews. He's an excellent #2 receiver, unfortunately he had to play #1 last year and he still had a great year. Beside him though Sharpe is very, very young but promising. The rest could be cut for all I care. I wouldn't be mad if they drafted Corey Davis or Mike Williams at pick #5. I like both of those guys, my preference would be Corey Davis I think. I think he's a little better route runner and could line up in multiple positions including slot unlike Williams.
Are those guys really worth a #5 pick though? What about throwing some money at Desean Jackson or Terrel Pryor?
I'd bet Pryor signs with Cleveland. They have made it clear he is their #1 priority this offseason and with 100 million in cap space the money won't be an issue. My only issue with him is he has only played receiver 1 year so somebody is going to be paying him a ton of money for 1 years worth of production and potential. I don't know how much Jackson has left. He's going to be 31 this season and speed is his best asset...how long can he hold up? Jeffry has concerns too. He is proned to get nicked up during the year and the whole PED incident will hang over him for his career. Is he worth 13-14 per year? I don't know but there's not many other options and this is a position that TN HAS to and probably will address in some way.
It seems like a safer bet than throwing a bunch of money at an unproven rookie though. Agholar comes to mind where a guy looked legit in college only to not pan out on the big stage. I agree that he probably isn't leaving Cleveland though. Maybe the Titans should get in a bidding war with them just to make them spend more cash than they want?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
nogerO
Senior

Seriously?

Post by nogerO »

karlhungis wrote:
ArkansasDuck wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:Mariota's receivers are crap. Can you imagine what he could do with a top end guy at WR? Unfortunately @ WR looks like Alshon Jeffery is the best option, but he looks to be in decline.
I actually love Rishard Matthews. He's an excellent #2 receiver, unfortunately he had to play #1 last year and he still had a great year. Beside him though Sharpe is very, very young but promising. The rest could be cut for all I care. I wouldn't be mad if they drafted Corey Davis or Mike Williams at pick #5. I like both of those guys, my preference would be Corey Davis I think. I think he's a little better route runner and could line up in multiple positions including slot unlike Williams.
Are those guys really worth a #5 pick though? What about throwing some money at Desean Jackson or Terrel Pryor?
Desean Jackson??? Cancer to every team he's played on. Please not him.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

Scuttlebutt today is that the Titans are involved in trade talks with the Saints to acquire WR Brandin Cooks. 23 years old, proven commodity, speed to burn. Basically an established version of John Ross. Depending on what they'd have to give up I'd be ok with this for sure.
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

I don't think Jeffery is in decline, his QB situation was terrible. The Bears are turrible. Jeffery was on my fantasy team last year and remember he wasn't getting the targets he should have. I think mariota would love alshon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

ArkansasDuck wrote:Scuttlebutt today is that the Titans are involved in trade talks with the Saints to acquire WR Brandin Cooks. 23 years old, proven commodity, speed to burn. Basically an established version of John Ross. Depending on what they'd have to give up I'd be ok with this for sure.
X2, but they have plenty of pics to sweeting the pot with. I agree, Titans need a go to WR and help in the defensive backfield.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

If I'm Tennessee I'd go after Brandon Williams on the DL in free agency or Dontari Poe, if not I see #5 being someone like Jonathan Allen unless someone gives a haul to JR for the pick. I'd keep the safeties they have but go after Bouye to fill one spot and use pick 18 on Marquez White from FSU.

For the Cooks trade pick 100 from the Rams seems like a fair deal for both teams, anything 4th or above is fleecing NO. Say they trade for Cooks and a separate trade of 5 to fall back they might go CB/TE and get guys they've got at the top of their positions in the 1st but I see a pick being used on a front 7 player as highly possible and likely. (The O has leaders at every group, not defensively). There are going to be a few explosive LBs who probably drop farther than they should as other positions go on a run but while a DB might seem too obvious, LB is still a big need for them. Banking on Casey and Rak to continue staying healthy is vital for the defense without more playmakers up front.