ScoopDuck - The return of JHOP

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: ScoopDuck - The return of JHOP

Post by Phenom »

I have never paid for a recruiting site, but if Hop wants everything to be behind a paywall, then that's his decision as a business owner. It will hurt his ability to grow, which I think he'll realize soon and probably open up the site a bit more. It seems that his current members enjoy that, though.

Also, it sounds like someone is sour about his following. There's a reason why they follow him. Life isn't fair. Some people are more liked than others and that's a huge advantage to them in business and everything else.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

TheHypeIsReal wrote:
Lol. Do you really mean it will be worse for the Duck community or do you mean it will be worse for you personally? I liked being able to glean the free information too. That said, I can't blame Jhop or the other posters for wanting to build something of their own. More power to them.

The free information on 247 is a business decision designed to build a subscriber base and click stats. Jhop has made a different one. I would be much more likely to sign up for a sight with better moderation and no auto play videos than what 247 offers even if it involves a leap of faith on content.

No, I actually meant the Duck community like I stated. Surely, I am not the only person who read DT without purchasing a membership. Besides, I believe the more information and discussion that is available to everyone, the better communities are for it. It's a principle as well. I think JHOP capitalizing on what was once a free flow of information is against my principles. Besides, it's not just information or news, it's a community of posters who share their thoughts and opinions. I'm glad you like exclusivity, but in no way, shape, or form have you dismantled the arguments I've laid forth about what has just transpired. It's what is happening at his moment, a migration of posters who once posted their information freely, and now don't. It's pretty obvious and impossible to dispute. Yes, JHOP is making a business decision. Ethical in my eyes, no.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

Pontius wrote:
TheHypeIsReal wrote:
Lol. Do you really mean it will be worse for the Duck community or do you mean it will be worse for you personally? I liked being able to glean the free information too. That said, I can't blame Jhop or the other posters for wanting to build something of their own. More power to them.

The free information on 247 is a business decision designed to build a subscriber base and click stats. Jhop has made a different one. I would be much more likely to sign up for a sight with better moderation and no auto play videos than what 247 offers even if it involves a leap of faith on content.

No, I actually meant the Duck community like I stated. Surely, I am not the only person who read DT without purchasing a membership. Besides, I believe the more information and discussion that is available to everyone, the better communities are for it. It's a principle as well. I think JHOP capitalizing on what was once a free flow of information is against my principles. Besides, it's not just information or news, it's a community of posters who share their thoughts and opinions. I'm glad you like exclusivity, but in no way, shape, or form have you dismantled the arguments I've laid forth about what has just transpired. It's what is happening at his moment, a migration of posters who once posted their information freely, and now don't. It's pretty obvious and impossible to dispute. Yes, JHOP is making a business decision. Ethical in my eyes, no. It's true though, he is probably just giving these people what they want, which is their own exclusive club. I get that and I stated that. It doesn't mean JHOP isn't also exploiting this and taking free information away from the public.
Last edited by Pontius on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Pontius wrote:
TheHypeIsReal wrote:

No, I actually meant the Duck community like I stated. Surely, I am not the only person who read DT without purchasing a membership. Besides, I believe the more information and discussion that is available to everyone, the better communities are for it. It's a principle as well. I think JHOP capitalizing on what was once a free flow of information is against my principles. Besides, it's not just information or news, it's a community of posters who share their thoughts and opinions. I'm glad you like exclusivity, but in no way, shape, or form have you dismantled the arguments I've laid forth about what has just transpired. It's what is happening at his moment, a migration of posters who once posted their information freely, and now don't. It's pretty obvious and impossible to dispute. Yes, JHOP is making a business decision. Ethical in my eyes, no.
Boo
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

Tray Dub wrote: Boo

Care to dispute what I've stated? Are you a fan of the existence of gated communities?
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Pontius wrote:
Tray Dub wrote: Boo

Care to dispute what I've stated? Are you a fan of the existence of gated communities?
I'd rather not live in one, but I have ZERO issues with folks who do. That's their choice. Just like putting up a fence around my yard, or a lock on my front door is my choice.
TheHypeIsReal
One Star Recruit

Post by TheHypeIsReal »

Pontius wrote:
Pontius wrote:
TheHypeIsReal wrote:

No, I actually meant the Duck community like I stated. Surely, I am not the only person who read DT without purchasing a membership. Besides, I believe the more information and discussion that is available to everyone, the better communities are for it. It's a principle as well. I think JHOP capitalizing on what was once a free flow of information is against my principles. Besides, it's not just information or news, it's a community of posters who share their thoughts and opinions. I'm glad you like exclusivity, but in no way, shape, or form have you dismantled the arguments I've laid forth about what has just transpired. It's what is happening at his moment, a migration of posters who once posted their information freely, and now don't. It's pretty obvious and impossible to dispute. Yes, JHOP is making a business decision. Ethical in my eyes, no. It's true though, he is probably just giving these people what they want, which is their own exclusive club. I get that and I stated that. It doesn't mean JHOP isn't also exploiting this and taking free information away from the public.
Your argument is too nonsensical to bother taking apart. JHop didn't take anything away from anybody. He was fired from one site and started another. He didn't stop those posters from posting free information. They can still do so if they like. This is Jhop's job. You really think it is unethical not to work for free? You could donate your salary to the program which would be better for the Duck community. You probably won't. Are you being unethical?

This information is obviously important to you. You should sign up for Jhop's site. You could be not mad for a mere 33 cents a day.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

TheHypeIsReal wrote:
Your argument is too nonsensical to bother taking apart. JHop didn't take anything away from anybody. He was fired from one site and started another. He didn't stop those posters from posting free information. They can still do so if they like. This is Jhop's job. You really think it is unethical not to work for free? You could donate your salary to the program which would be better for the Duck community. You probably won't. Are you being unethical?

This information is obviously important to you. You should sign up for Jhop's site. You could be not mad for a mere 33 cents a day.

Okay, but you are taking part. Are you absolutely dense? The free flow of dialogue no longer exists where it once did because JHOP decided to open up an exclusive forum. It's not really debatable. I'm sorry if it ruffles your free market feathers, but much of what happens in the free market causes externalities. The externality here is that information and a community of posters is now forever lost to a lot of people, that is unless they pay up. That isn't debatable. JHOP didn't have to make an exclusive forum where all discussion was restricted. There are many team sites out there with open forum of regular posters with exclusive content also available to subscribers. By telling me to sign up for JHOP's site just goes to show me how lacking you are in comprehending my position. Why would I support practices that I find to be selfish and unethical? And how is the notion of creating an exclusive forum piggybacking off the contributions of others comparable to the notion of donating one's salary to the program? It's a drastically absurd use of analogy, for starters because the fanbase or community is an entirely different concept than a football program. It's clear from jump that JHOP's entire purpose is to derive an income, which by itself I don't have issues with, but his exploitation of a userbase and his marginalization of open discussion really couldn't be more clear. That his userbase is willingly convening together in an exclusive format shows me the mentality of his followers. Of course, it's all perfectly legal and everybody is within their rights, but I don't have to respect the practice and I don't.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Think this thread has run its course.